"The best overall Red Hat user's book, hands down, no contest."
-Al Stevens, C Programming Columnist, Dr. Dobb's Journal, on a previous edition
* Master new techniques for installation, network configuration, and server setup
* Discover material on iptables firewall setup, DNS servers, wireless Linux LAN, WINE, and more
* Explore print and mail service switching, vsFTP server configuration, and other new features
If Red Hat Linux 7.3 can do it, you can do it too . . .
Whether you're a Linux newbie looking for goof-proof installation tips or a Red Hat veteran who wants the scoop on the latest networking, desktop, and server enhancements, this authoritative guide delivers all the information you need to make the most of Red Hat 7.3. From customizing a desktop system to troubleshooting a network or setting up a Web server, it's the only reference you'll ever need to become a Red Hat Linux pro.
Inside, you'll find complete coverage of Red Hat Linux 7.3
* Find updated instructions and procedures for setting up basic services in version 7.3
* Take advantage of expert tips for fast, painless installation
* Learn your way around the Linux shell, file system, and X Window system
* Get the latest on Webcams, TV cards, and other multimedia and Internet features
* Master Linux administration, from automating system tasks to managing modules and drivers
* Discover how easy it is to set up a LAN and connect to the Internet
* Delve into the latest security solutions, from setting up firewalls (ipchains or iptables) and monitoring LAN traffic to tracking system logs
* Find expert help on tracking down and fixing typical network problems
* Get the scoop on configuring servers, from Web and print servers to e-mail and FTP servers
* Discover how you can configure DNS to launch your server on the Internet
Red Hat Linux 7.3 on 3 CD-ROMs!
* Linux kernel with enhanced scheduling and SMB performance
* GNOME and KDE graphical desktops, including productivity applications, games, administration and Internet tools, and much more
* Apache Web Server, for publishing Web content on the Internet
* Samba file and print server, for sharing files, folders, and printers with Windows computers
* Routing and firewall tools, for routing data between your LAN and the Internet-and protecting your computer from intruders
* MySQL, for setting up a database server