|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Media Impact: An Introduction to Mass Media, 2013 Update (Wadsworth Series in Mass Communication and Journalism)
Lowest new price: $7.50
Lowest used price: $0.35
List price: $247.95
Author: Shirley Biagi
From media history to today's rapid-fire changes, MEDIA/IMPACT takes you on a tour of the events, people, and technologies that have shaped and are shaping the industry. Known for its engaging writing style, currency, and visual appeal, this book explores the converged mass media--its industries and support industries as well as the legal, ethical, social, global, and technological issues these businesses face very day. Emphasizing the impact of the media on individuals and society, the book illustrates that the media are foremost in the business of making money and shows you students what it's like to work in each industry. Included are detailed timelines and an extensive online media careers guide.
- Media Impact: An Introduction to Mass Media
- Shirley Biagi
|In Search of History: A Personal Adventure
Lowest new price: $34.46
Lowest used price: $1.05
List price: $13.50
Author: Theodore Harold White
White recalls his own career at home and abroad over the past forty years, the famous men and women he has written about and known, and the triumphs and shortfalls of the American system
|If No News, Send Rumors: Anecdotes of American Journalism
Lowest new price: $11.93
Lowest used price: $2.45
List price: $11.95
Author: Stephen Bates
Gathers brief stories about reporters, newspapers, television news, political cartoonists, reviewers, and presidential press relations
|Critical Thinking About Sex, Love, and Romance in the Mass Media: Media Literacy Applications (Routledge Communication Series)
Lowest new price: $50.54
Lowest used price: $34.90
List price: $55.95
Brand: Brand: Routledge
This distinctive volume explores how romantic coupleship is represented in books, magazines, popular music, movies, television, and the Internet within entertainment, advertising, and news/information. This reader offers diverse theoretical perspectives and methodological approaches on the representation of romantic relationships across the media spectrum.
Filling a void in existing media scholarship, this collection explores the media’s influence on perceptions and expectations in relationships, including the myths, stereotypes, and prescriptions manifested throughout the press. Featuring fresh voices, as well as the perspectives of seasoned veterans, contributions include quantitative and qualitative studies along with cultural/critical, feminist, and descriptive analyses. This anthology has been developed for use in courses on mass media and society, media studies, and media literacy. In addition to its use in coursework, it is highly relevant for scholars, researchers, and others interested in how the media influence the personal lives of individuals.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Sex, Love, and Romance in the Mass Media: Analysis and Criticism of Unrealistic Portrayals and Their Influence
- Visual Communication: Images with Messages
- Mix It Up: Popular Culture, Mass Media, and Society (Second Edition)
- American Media History
- Voices of a Nation: A History of Mass Media in the United States (5th Edition)
- Seeing Through Statistics
- Global Communication: Theories, Stakeholders and Trends
- Race, Gender, Class, and Media: Studying Mass Communication and Multiculturalism, 2nd Edition
- Mass Communication: Living in a Media World
- A Pocket Style Manual, APA Version
|The Whole World Is Watching: Mass Media in the Making and Unmaking of the New Left, With a New Preface
Lowest new price: $24.75
Lowest used price: $12.96
List price: $34.95
Author: Todd Gitlin
"The whole world is watching!" chanted the demonstrators in the Chicago streets in 1968, as the TV cameras beamed images of police cracking heads into homes everywhere. In this classic book, originally published in 1980, acclaimed media critic Todd Gitlin first scrutinizes major news coverage in the early days of the antiwar movement. Drawing on his own experiences (he was president of the Students for a Democratic Society in 1963-64) and on interviews with key activists and news reporters, he shows in detail how the media first ignore new political developments, then select and emphasize aspects of the story that treat movements as oddities. He then demonstrates how the media glare made leaders into celebrities and estranged them from their movement base; how it inflated the importance of revolutionary rhetoric, destabilizing the movement, then promoted "moderate" alternatives--all the while spreading the antiwar message. Finally, Gitlin draws together a theory of news coverage as a form of anti-democratic social management--which he sees at work also in media treatment of the anti-nuclear and other later movements.
Updated for 2003 with a new preface, The Whole World Is Watching is a subtle and sensitive book, true to the passions and ironic reversals of its subject, and filled with provocative insights that apply to the media's relationship with all activist movements.
- University of California Press
|Complete Guide to Starting a Used Bookstore: Old Books into Gold
Lowest new price: $11.99
Lowest used price: $2.99
List price: $11.95
Author: Dale L. Gilbert
Brand: Brand: Chicago Review Pr
Discusses the advantages of running an antiquarian book store, and explains how to pick a location, acquire stock, build shelving, arrange for advertising, maintain quality, hire employees, and avoid common mistakes
- Used Book in Good Condition
- FabJob Guide to Become a Bookstore Owner (With CD-ROM) (FabJob Guides)
- HOW TO START AND RUN A USED BOOKSTORE: A Bookstore Owner's Essential Toolkit with Real-World Insights, Strategies, Forms, and Procedures
- The Home-Based Bookstore: Start Your Own Business Selling Used Books on Amazon, eBay or Your Own Web Site
- Rebel Bookseller: Why Indie Bookstores Represent Everything You Want to Fight for from Free Speech to Buying Local to Building Communities
- Manual on Bookselling: Practical Advice for the Bookstore Professional
- Modern Book Collecting: A Basic Guide to All Aspects of Book Collecting: What to Collect, Who to Buy from, Auctions, Bibliographies, Care, Fakes, Investments, Donations, Definitions, and More
- Book Finds: How to Find, Buy, and Sell Used and Rare Books
- Independent Bookstore Planning & Design
- Bookselling for Dummies
- The Mathematics of Bookselling: A Monograph
|Mass Media Effects Research: Advances Through Meta-Analysis (Routledge Communication Series)
Lowest new price: $56.01
Lowest used price: $6.92
List price: $72.95
This distinctive collection offers a unique set of meta-analyses covering the breadth of media effects research. Editor Raymond W. Preiss and his colleagues bring together an all-star list of contributors. Organized by theories, outcomes, and mass media campaigns, the chapters included here offer important insights on what current social science research reveals about effects, addressing such topics as the effects of advertising on children and adolescents; the effects of pornography; violent video games and aggression; and media use and political involvement.
The final section features thought-provoking commentary from leading theorists. Making a significant and singular contribution to the current media effects literature, Mass Media Effects Research is an essential resource volume for scholars, researchers, and graduate students in media effects, media psychology, and mass communication and society.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|Media and the Making of Modern Germany: Mass Communications, Society, and Politics from the Empire to the Third Reich
Lowest new price: $33.36
Lowest used price: $17.61
List price: $51.00
Author: Corey Ross
Few developments in the industrial era have had a greater impact on everyday social life than the explosion of the mass media and commercial entertainments, and none have exerted a more profound influence on the nature of modern politics. Nowhere in Europe were the tensions and controversies surrounding the rise of mass culture more politically charged than in Germany--debates that played fatefully into the hands of the radical right. Corey Ross provides the first general account of the expansion of the mass media in Germany up to the Second World War, examining how the rise of film, radio, recorded music, popular press, and advertising fitted into the wider development of social, political, and cultural life.
Spanning the period from the late nineteenth century to the Third Reich, Media and the Making of Modern Germany shows how the social impact and meaning of 'mass culture' were by no means straightforward or homogenizing, but rather changed under different political and economic circumstances. By locating the rapid expansion of communications media and commercial entertainments firmly within their broader social and political context, Ross sheds new light on the relationship between mass media, social change, and political culture during this tumultuous period in German history.
|Media Today: An Introduction to Mass Communication
Lowest new price: $12.97
Lowest used price: $5.59
List price: $74.36
Author: Joseph Turow
Author Joe Turow's unique "media systems" approach reveals the forces that guide the creation, distribution, and exhibition of media. By showing students how the media operates—through a mass production process, rather than an assumed mass audience—and heightening their awareness of political and commercial influences, Turow encourages them to examine and think critically about everything they see and read.
The Second Edition emphasizes the necessity of media literacy by outlining the principles that students need to understand and skills they must acquire in order to exhibit the attributes of a media-literate consumer.
- Chapters 5 and 6 highlight the guiding trends in media today and demonstrate how those trends operate within the three largest media conglomerates in the world—Disney, AOL/Time Warner, and NewsCorp.
- Critical Consumer boxes challenge students to think critically about controversies portrayed in the TV programs they watch, music they listen to, and the books and magazines they read, while exploring the effects and implications of mass media on society and the individual.
- Technology & Infrastructure boxes demystify mass media technologies by explaining how they work, helping students understand the increasing role of technology in the production, distribution, and exhibition of content across media outlets and around the world.
- WorldView boxes provide an up-to-date perspective on the influence and availability of media throughout the world and show students the social implications of media industries and products worldwide.
- Media Research boxes introduce students to practical aspects of real-world media research and discuss the impact of research findings on products and systems.
|Political Impact of Mass Media
Lowest new price: $69.90
Lowest used price: $1.60
Author: Colin Seymour-Ure
Discusses the production of mass-media effects and their influence on various types of political relationships and functions and provides case studies of incidents of media impact on British politics
Page 5 of 194
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.