|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
Lowest new price: $147.88
Lowest used price: $101.00
Author: Shelley E Taylor Distinguished Professor
Since the first edition was published in 1986, Health Psychology has helped thousands of college students learn how to maintain their health and guard against illness. The goal of this book has always been to make research accessible in a way that integrates theory with practical applications so that people can lead healthier lives. The importance of social relationships, health behaviors, and co-management of health and illness are themes that are woven throughout the text. The Connect course for this offering includes SmartBook, an adaptive reading and study experience which guides students to master, recall, and apply key concepts while providing automatically-graded assessments.
• Connect®―The Connect Suite effectively engages students in the course so they are better prepared for class, more active in discussion, and achieve better results. Its innovative and adaptive technology addresses a wide variety of student and instructor needs with a rich database of assignable and assessable activities, each attached to learning objectives. Connect, part of the Connect suite, is a web-based assignment and assessment platform that features a number of powerful tools that make managing assignments easier for instructors and learning and studying more engaging and efficient for students.
• Connect InsightTM―As part of the Connect Suite, InsightTM puts real-time analytics in your hands so you can take action early and keep struggling students from falling behind. Designed for your tablet or desktop computer, Insight is a series of visual displays providing at-a-glance information regarding how your section, students, and assignments are doing.
• SmartBook―As part of the Connect Suite, SmartBook is the first and only adaptive reading and learning experience that changes the way students read. It creates a personalized, interactive reading environment like no other by highlighting important concepts, while helping students identify their strengths and weaknesses. This ensures that he or she is focused on the content needed to close specific knowledge gaps, while it simultaneously promotes long term learning.
• LearnSmart―As part of the Connect Suite, LearnSmart is an adaptive learning program designed to help students learn faster, study smarter, and retain more knowledge for greater success. Millions of students have answered billions of questions in LearnSmart, making it the most widely used tool that’s proven to strengthen memory recall, retain student attendance, and boost grades.
|No More Mr Nice Guy: A Proven Plan for Getting What You Want in Love, Sex, and Life
Lowest new price: $8.51
Lowest used price: $6.85
List price: $19.00
Author: Robert A. Glover
Originally published as an e-book that became a controversial media phenomenon, No More Mr. Nice Guy! landed its author, a certified marriage and family therapist, on The O'Reilly Factor and the Rush Limbaugh radio show. Dr. Robert Glover has dubbed the "Nice Guy Syndrome" trying too hard to please others while neglecting one's own needs, thus causing unhappiness and resentfulness. It's no wonder that unfulfilled Nice Guys lash out in frustration at their loved ones, claims Dr. Glover. He explains how they can stop seeking approval and start getting what they want in life, by presenting the information and tools to help them ensure their needs are met, to express their emotions, to have a satisfying sex life, to embrace their masculinity and form meaningful relationships with other men, and to live up to their creative potential.
- No More Mr. Nice Guy: A Proven Plan for Getting What You Want in Love, Sex and Life
|The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
Lowest new price: $8.85
Lowest used price: $3.49
List price: $15.00
Author: Elaine N. Aron
Are you a highly sensitive person?
Do you have a keen imagination and vivid dreams? Is time alone each day as essential to you as food and water? Are you "too shy" or "too sensitive" according to others? Do noise and confusion quickly overwhelm you? If your answers are yes, you may be a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP).
Most of us feel overstimulated every once in a while, but for the Highly Sensitive Person, it's a way of life. In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Elaine Aron, a psychotherapist, workshop leader and highly sensitive person herself, shows you how to identify this trait in yourself and make the most of it in everyday situations. Drawing on her many years of research and hundreds of interviews, she shows how you can better understand yourself and your trait to create a fuller, richer life.
In The Highly Sensitive Person, you will discover:
* Self-assessment tests to help you identify your particular sensitivities
* Ways to reframe your past experiences in a positive light and gain greater self-esteem in the process
* Insight into how high sensitivity affects both work and personal relationships
* Tips on how to deal with overarousal
* Informations on medications and when to seek help
* Techniques to enrich the soul and spirit
Are you an HSP? Are you easily overwhelmed by stimuli? Affected by other people's moods? Easily startled? Do you need to withdraw during busy times to a private, quiet place? Do you get nervous or shaky if someone is observing you or competing with you? HSP, shorthand for "highly sensitive person," describes 15 to 20 percent of the population. Being sensitive is a normal trait--nothing defective about it. But you may not realize that, because society rewards the outgoing personality and treats shyness and sensitivity as something to be overcome. According to author Elaine Aron (herself an HSP), sensitive people have the unusual ability to sense subtleties, spot or avoid errors, concentrate deeply, and delve deeply. This book helps HSPs to understand themselves and their sensitive trait and its impact on personal history, career, relationships, and inner life. The book offers advice for typical problems. For example, you learn strategies for coping with overarousal, overcoming social discomfort, being in love relationships, managing job challenges, and much more. The author covers a lot of material clearly, in an approachable style, using case studies, self-tests, and exercises to bring the information home. The book is essential for you if you are an HSP--you'll learn a lot about yourself. It's also useful for people in a relationship with an HSP. --Joan Price
- The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
|Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $5.02
List price: $16.99
Author: Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Brand: Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
THE BESTSELLING CLASSIC ON 'FLOW' – THE KEY TO UNLOCKING MEANING, CREATIVITY, PEAK PERFORMANCE, AND TRUE HAPPINESS
Legendary psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's famous investigations of "optimal experience" have revealed that what makes an experience genuinely satisfying is a state of consciousness called flow. During flow, people typically experience deep enjoyment, creativity, and a total involvement with life. In this new edition of his groundbreaking classic work, Csikszentmihalyi ("the leading researcher into ‘flow states’" —Newsweek) demonstrates the ways this positive state can be controlled, not just left to chance. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience teaches how, by ordering the information that enters our consciousness, we can discover true happiness, unlock our potential, and greatly improve the quality of our lives.
"Explores a happy state of mind called flow, the feeling of complete engagement in a creative or playful activity." —Time
- The Psychology of Optimal Experience
- First Edition
|David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $3.43
List price: $18.00
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Brand: Gladwell Malcolm
Malcolm Gladwell's provocative new #1 bestseller -- now in paperback.
Three thousand years ago on a battlefield in ancient Palestine, a shepherd boy felled a mighty warrior with nothing more than a pebble and a sling-and ever since, the names of David and Goliath have stood for battles between underdogs and giants. David's victory was improbable and miraculous. He shouldn't have won.
Or should he?
In DAVID AND GOLIATH, Malcolm Gladwell challenges how we think about obstacles and disadvantages, offering a new interpretation of what it means to be discriminated against, suffer from a disability, lose a parent, attend a mediocre school, or endure any number of other apparent setbacks.
In the tradition of Gladwell's previous bestsellers-The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers and What the Dog Saw-DAVID AND GOLIATH draws upon history, psychology and powerful story-telling to reshape the way we think of the world around us.
- David and Goliath Underdogs Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants
|Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
Lowest new price: $11.10
Lowest used price: $4.96
List price: $28.99
Author: Angela Duckworth
In this instant New York Times bestseller, pioneering psychologist Angela Duckworth shows anyone striving to succeed—be it parents, students, educators, athletes, or business people—that the secret to outstanding achievement is not talent but a special blend of passion and persistence she calls “grit.”
Drawing on her own powerful story as the daughter of a scientist who frequently noted her lack of “genius,” Duckworth, now a celebrated researcher and professor, describes her early eye-opening stints in teaching, business consulting, and neuroscience, which led to the hypothesis that what really drives success is not “genius” but a unique combination of passion and long-term perseverance.
In Grit, she takes readers into the field to visit cadets struggling through their first days at West Point, teachers working in some of the toughest schools, and young finalists in the National Spelling Bee. She also mines fascinating insights from history and shows what can be gleaned from modern experiments in peak performance. Finally, she shares what she’s learned from interviewing dozens of high achievers—from JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon to New Yorker cartoon editor Bob Mankoff to Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll.
Among Grit’s most valuable insights:
*Why any effort you make ultimately counts twice toward your goal
*How grit can be learned, regardless of I.Q. or circumstances
*How lifelong interest is triggered
*How much of optimal practice is suffering and how much ecstasy
*Which is better for your child—a warm embrace or high standards
*The magic of the Hard Thing Rule
Winningly personal, insightful, and even life-changing, Grit is a book about what goes through your head when you fall down, and how that—not talent or luck—makes all the difference.
|Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others
Lowest new price: $13.44
Lowest used price: $10.19
List price: $19.95
Author: Laura van Dernoot Lipsky
Brand: Brand: Berrett-Koehler Publishers
A longtime trauma worker, Laura van Dernoot Lipsky offers a deep and empathetic survey of the often-unrecognized toll taken on those working to make the world a better place. We may feel tired, cynical, or numb or like we can never do enough. These, and other symptoms, affect us individually and collectively, sapping the energy and effectiveness we so desperately need if we are to benefit humankind, other living things, and the planet itself. In Trauma Stewardship, we are called to meet these challenges in an intentional way—to keep from becoming overwhelmed by developing a quality of mindful presence. Joining the wisdom of ancient cultural traditions with modern psychological research, Lipsky offers a variety of simple and profound practices that will allow us to remake ourselves—and ultimately the world.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- The Age of Overwhelm: Strategies for the Long Haul
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence--From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
- Principles of Trauma Therapy: A Guide to Symptoms, Evaluation, and Treatment ( DSM-5 Update)
- Bible through the Lens of Trauma (Semeia Studies)
- Helping Skills for Working with College Students
- The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook--What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love, and Healing
- Too Scared To Cry: Psychic Trauma In Childhood
- The Practice of Pastoral Care, Revised and Expanded Edition: A Postmodern Approach
- Treating Traumatic Stress in Children and Adolescents, Second Edition: How to Foster Resilience through Attachment, Self-Regulation, and Competency
|Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $2.34
List price: $17.00
Author: Joshua Foer
Brand: Penguin Books
The blockbuster phenomenon that charts an amazing journey of the mind while revolutionizing our concept of memory
An instant bestseller that is poised to become a classic, Moonwalking with Einstein recounts Joshua Foer's yearlong quest to improve his memory under the tutelage of top "mental athletes." He draws on cutting-edge research, a surprising cultural history of remembering, and venerable tricks of the mentalist's trade to transform our understanding of human memory. From the United States Memory Championship to deep within the author's own mind, this is an electrifying work of journalism that reminds us that, in every way that matters, we are the sum of our memories.
|Psychology Applied to Teaching
Lowest new price: $43.82
Lowest used price: $29.11
List price: $149.95
Author: Jack Snowman
This book has received wide acclaim for its practical and reader-friendly approach to educational psychology, which demonstrates how complex psychological theories apply to the everyday experiences of in-service teachers. Coverage of educational psychology is framed so that aspiring or developing teachers can see themselves as professionals who continuously seek, find, and test better ways to help their students succeed. PSYCHOLOGY APPLIED TO TEACHING, 14th Edition, combines fresh concepts and contemporary research with long-standing theory and applications to create a book that addresses the needs of today's teachers and students. This edition also features integration of InTASC Standards, new Learning Objectives correlated with chapter headings and summaries, new Guides to Reading and Studying, new first-person accounts (Improving Practice through Inquiry: One Teacher's Story), and more.
|Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
Lowest new price: $12.66
Lowest used price: $10.89
List price: $25.95
Author: Nir Eyal
How do successful companies create products people can’t put down?
Why do some products capture widespread attention while others flop? What makes us engage with certain products out of sheer habit? Is there a pattern underlying how technologies hook us?
Nir Eyal answers these questions (and many more) by explaining the Hook Model—a four-step process embedded into the products of many successful companies to subtly encourage customer behavior. Through consecutive “hook cycles,” these products reach their ultimate goal of bringing users back again and again without depending on costly advertising or aggressive messaging.
Hooked is based on Eyal’s years of research, consulting, and practical experience. He wrote the book he wished had been available to him as a start-up founder—not abstract theory, but a how-to guide for building better products. Hooked is written for product managers, designers, marketers, start-up founders, and anyone who seeks to understand how products influence our behavior.
Eyal provides readers with:
• Practical insights to create user habits that stick.
• Actionable steps for building products people love.
• Fascinating examples from the iPhone to Twitter, Pinterest to the Bible App, and many other habit-forming products.
Page 2 of 1512
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.