|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It
Lowest new price: $5.86
Lowest used price: $4.79
List price: $17.00
Author: Kelly McGonigal
Brand: Kelly Mcgonigal
Based on Stanford University psychologist Kelly McGonigal's wildly popular course "The Science of Willpower," The Willpower Instinct is the first book to explain the new science of self-control and how it can be harnessed to improve our health, happiness, and productivity.
Informed by the latest research and combining cutting-edge insights from psychology, economics, neuroscience, and medicine, The Willpower Instinct explains exactly what willpower is, how it works, and why it matters. For example, readers will learn:
In the groundbreaking tradition of Getting Things Done, The Willpower Instinct combines life-changing prescriptive advice and complementary exercises to help readers with goals ranging from losing weight to more patient parenting, less procrastination, better health, and greater productivity at work.
- Willpower is a mind-body response, not a virtue. It is a biological function that can be improved through mindfulness, exercise, nutrition, and sleep.
- Willpower is not an unlimited resource. Too much self-control can actually be bad for your health.
- Temptation and stress hijack the brain's systems of self-control, but the brain can be trained for greater willpower
- Guilt and shame over your setbacks lead to giving in again, but self-forgiveness and self-compassion boost self-control.
- Giving up control is sometimes the only way to gain self-control.
- Willpower failures are contagious—you can catch the desire to overspend or overeat from your friends—but you can also catch self-control from the right role models.
|The Illustrated Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living
Lowest new price: $7.66
Lowest used price: $9.37
List price: $14.95
Author: Russ Harris
The life-changing practice of applied mindfulness called ACT is made even more accessible in this fun and easy-to-understand volume that illustrates all the principles with entertaining cartoons.
There’s this idea going around that we’re always supposed to be happy—and it’s making us miserable. The good news is, if you can learn to let go of that impossible expectation, your life will be a whole lot happier. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a simple, self-administered therapy that uses mindfulness to enable you to do just that. This fun, illustrated guide to the method that’s made life better for millions is the easiest way yet to learn how to escape the happiness trap and start living a life that’s far richer, fuller, and more meaningful.
With ACT you’ll learn to:
Reduce stress and worry • Handle painful feelings and thoughts more
effectively • Break self-defeating habits • Overcome insecurity and
self-doubt • Recognize and treasure the whole range of emotions that make
up a satisfying life
- The Illustrated Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living
|Healing ADD Revised Edition: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 7 Types of ADD
Lowest new price: $9.73
Lowest used price: $3.75
List price: $18.00
Author: Daniel G. Amen M.D.
Brand: Berkley Trade
A revised edition of the New York Times bestseller that will help you conquer ADD.
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a national health crisis that continues to grow—yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Neuropsychiatrist Daniel G. Amen, MD was one of the first to identify that there are multiple types beyond just purely hyperactive or inattentive ADD, each requiring a different treatment. Now, in this all-new, revised edition, Dr. Amen again employs the latest medical advances in the field, including the largest brain imaging study ever completed on patients with ADD, to identify, examine, and demystify the 7 distinct types of ADD and their specific treatments.
With updated recommendations for nutraceuticals and/or medications targeted to brain type, diet, exercise, lifestyle interventions, cognitive reprogramming, parenting and educational strategies, neurofeedback, and more, Dr. Amen’s revolutionary approach provides a treatment program that can lead sufferers of ADD to a normal, peaceful, and fully functional life.
Sufferers from ADD often say, “The harder I try, the worse it gets.” Dr. Amen tells them, for the first time, why, and more importantly how to heal ADD.
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life (Revised and Expanded): The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Lack of Focus, Anger, and Memory Problems
- Healing Anxiety and Depression: Based on Cutting-Edge Brain Imaging Science
- The Brain Warrior's Way Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes to Ignite Your Energy and Focus, Attack Illness and Aging, Transform Pain into Purpose
- Healing ADD At Home in 30 Days
- Memory Rescue: Supercharge Your Brain, Reverse Memory Loss, and Remember What Matters Most
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life Deck
- The Brain Warrior's Way: Ignite Your Energy and Focus, Attack Illness and Aging, Transform Pain into Purpose
- Relaxation, Focus, and Memory Training: A Guided Brain Health Program (Amen Clinics Audio Learning Series)
- Captain Snout and the Super Power Questions: Don’t Let the ANTs Steal Your Happiness
- Driven to Distraction (Revised): Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder
|Principles of Psychology
Lowest new price: $99.00
Lowest used price: $69.99
List price: $112.95
Author: Marc Breedlove
Organized around four well-established core principles, Principles of Psychology provides students with a framework to understand the science of behavior. Written in a conversational style, the text is organized around the following four well-established principles that serve as touchstones for the field of psychology:
--The mind is a process at work in a physical machine, the brain.
--We are consciously aware of only a fraction of our mental activity.
--We constantly modify our behavior, beliefs, and attitudes according to what we perceive about the people around us.
--Experience physically alters the structure and function of the brain.
With these four principles as a framework for the text, Principles of Psychology emphasizes that psychology is a science through discussion of relevant big-picture and proven concepts and cutting-edge research-based investigations that examine behavioral, psychological, and neuroscience experiments. By presenting data and facts from other scientific disciplines, as well as real-world vignettes and stories, Marc Breedlove teaches the reader how to think critically and scientifically about the underlying mechanisms of behavior.
--Vignette: Each chapter begins with a story, an instance when behavior has a big impact on someone's life. The chapter returns to the vignette several times as we cover findings that relate to that particular case.
--Researchers at Work: In every chapter, important discoveries are explained and illustrated to highlight the process of experimentation and hypothesis testing. Over the course of the book, the progression of experiments provides an increasingly sharper picture of the factors shaping behavior.
--Skeptic at Large: Intended to sharpen the student's critical thinking skills, these boxes explore a widespread misconception and demonstrate how scientific research disproves it. The exploration of scientific experimentation also reinforces the Researchers at Work feature.
--Psychology in Everyday Life: These are topics where knowledge of psychology might be applicable to everyday life, such as whether people with schizophrenia are violent, the importance of "blind" auditions for musicians, how to stop smoking, or how conditioned taste aversion might cause you to stop eating sushi when you used to love it.
--The Cutting Edge: Just prior to the end of every chapter, this feature explores an exciting report of current research. Showing students these vibrant and bold experiments will emphasize that psychology research remains alive and well.
--Think Like a Psychologist: Principles in Action: To close each chapter, each principle is related back to the vignette to show the student that when they observe an interesting behavior they can recall and apply the four principles. If they can do this, they will indeed be thinking like a psychologist.
|The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders
Lowest new price: $8.84
Lowest used price: $6.27
List price: $16.99
Author: John E. Sarno
Brand: John E Sarno
The Divided Mind is the crowning achievement of Dr. John E. Sarno's distinguished career as a groundbreaking medical pioneer, going beyond pain to address the entire spectrum of psychosomatic (mindbody) disorders.
The interaction between the generally reasonable, rational, ethical, moral conscious mind and the repressed feelings of emotional pain, hurt, sadness, and anger characteristic of the unconscious mind appears to be the basis for mindbody disorders. The Divided Mind traces the history of psychosomatic medicine, including Freud's crucial role, and describes the psychology responsible for the broad range of psychosomatic illness. The failure of medicine's practitioners to recognize and appropriately treat mindbody disorders has produced public health and economic problems of major proportions in the United States.
One of the most important aspects of psychosomatic phenomena is that knowledge and awareness of the process clearly have healing powers. Thousands of people have become pain-free simply by reading Dr. Sarno's previous books. How and why this happens is a fascinating story, and is revealed in The Divided Mind.
- The Divided Mind The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders
|Psychology: Contemporary Perspectives
Lowest new price: $105.80
Lowest used price: $76.36
List price: $118.95
Author: Paul Okami
Brand: Brand: Oxford University Press, USA
Research-based but highly accessible, this fresh, contemporary, and engaging volume helps students appreciate the science of psychology and understand how its principles apply to their own lives.
CONTEMPORARY PERSPECTIVES, NOT JUST CONTEMPORARY REFERENCES
Giving careful consideration to the field's historical foundations, Psychology: Contemporary Perspectives provides a unique balance of traditional and contemporary perspectives. This approach invites students to develop a modern appraisal of psychology.
THE MOST CURRENT RESEARCH
The book covers the latest in evolutionary psychology and behavior genetics, ecological and evolutionary theories of learning, cross-cultural work in cognition, the latest neuroscience data (and its critiques), and endophenotype research in the genetic causes of schizophrenia.
CLEAR AND COMPELLING WRITING
Exceptionally well written, Psychology: Contemporary Perspectives uses stories to help students connect with the principles of psychology.
All running features are integrated into the main body of the text, helping to maintain the flow of the narrative--and the attention of students!
* "Freeze Frame" snapshots underscoring the theme of each chapter tell the compelling stories of real-life individuals.
* "Living Psychology" applies psychology to students' everyday lives, helping them understand the benefits of what they are studying.
* "Critical Thinking about Psychology" sections give students the tools they need in order to effectively and objectively interpret research.
* "At the Forefront" highlights new and influential research in the field.
CAREFULLY CRAFTED STUDY TOOLS
Placing an emphasis on "review, retrieve, and learn," Psychology: Contemporary Perspectives takes a "back-to-basics" approach to study tools.
* "In Summary" sections provide clear, concise chapter descriptions, offering students powerful tools for review.
* "Retrieve!" questions encourage students to test their knowledge of what they have just read. Each question includes the page numbers on which the relevant material was first presented, aiding in additional review and reinforcing learning.
AN EXCELLENT VALUE
Oxford University Press USA, a department of the University of Oxford, is a not-for-profit publisher devoted to furthering the university's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education. Since accessible materials clearly support this mission, OUP USA uses a combination of not-for-profit status and financial discipline to offer course materials that generally cost students significantly less than those offered by commercial publishers.
We are proud to offer instructors and students a comprehensive set of ancillary resources.
* Instructor's Ancillary Resource Center: Available online exclusively to adopters, this valuable resource features detailed chapter outlines, lecture suggestions and activities, discussion questions, video resources, and Web resources, along with a computerized test bank containing 1,400+ test questions.
* Videos: Organized by chapter, these short contemporary video clips from YouTube are available for use as lecture starters and assignable class activities.
* PowerPoint-Based Slides: Each chapter's slide deck includes a succinct chapter outline and incorporates relevant chapter graphics.
* Course Cartridges: Available for a variety of learning management systems.
* Instructor's Companion Website: The instructor's portion of the companion website--available to adopters--includes all the teaching tools described above, which are available for immediate download (www.oup.com/us/okami).
* Online Homework: Oxford's Learning Management System delivers quality content and tools to track student progress in an intuitive, nationally hosted learning environment. Assessments are designed to accompany Psychology: Contemporary Perspectives and auto-graded so that instructors may check students' understanding without hours of grading. A color-coded gradebook shows instructors at a glance where their students are succeeding and where they need improvement; this allows instructors to adapt their lectures as needed at a moment's notice. For students, this means quality content and instant feedback. Oxford's Learning Management System features a streamlined interface that connects instructors and students with the functions that they perform most often, simplifying the learning experience in order to save instructors time and put students' progress first. (ISBN: 978-0-19-934982-1)
* Free Online Student Study Guide: Offering a variety of learning and review tools, this free online resource includes comprehensive yet concise chapter outlines, visual concept maps, and approximately twenty-five multiple-choice
questions per chapter.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|AP® Psychology Crash Course, 2nd Ed., Book + Online (Advanced Placement (AP) Crash Course)
Lowest new price: $6.75
Lowest used price: $1.99
List price: $14.95
Author: Larry Krieger
REA's Crash Course for the AP® Psychology Exam - Gets You a Higher Advanced Placement® Score in Less Time
Revised for the 2015 Exam!
Crash Course is perfect for the time-crunched student, the last-minute studier, or anyone who wants a refresher on the subject.
Are you crunched for time? Have you started studying for your Advanced Placement® Psychology exam yet? How will you memorize everything you need to know before the test? Do you wish there was a fast and easy way to study for the exam AND boost your score?
If this sounds like you, don't panic. REA's Crash Course for AP® Psychology is just what you need. Our Crash Course gives you:
Targeted, Focused Review - Study Only What You Need to Know
Revised for the 2015 AP® Psychology exam, this Crash Course is based on an in-depth analysis of the revised AP® Psychology course description outline and sample AP® test questions. It covers only the information tested on the new exam, so you can make the most of your valuable study time.
Expert Test-taking Strategies
Crash Course presents detailed, question-level strategies for answering both the multiple-choice and essay questions. By following this advice, you can boost your score in every section of the test.
Take REA's Online Practice Exam
After studying the material in the Crash Course, go to the online REA Study Center and test what you've learned. Our practice exam features timed testing, detailed explanations of answers, and automatic scoring analysis. The exam is balanced to include every topic and type of question found on the actual AP® exam, so you know you're studying the smart way.
Whether you're cramming for the test at the last minute, looking for extra review, or want to study on your own in preparation for the exams - this is the study guide every AP® Psychology student must have.
When it's crucial crunch time and your Advanced Placement® exam is just around the corner, you need REA's Crash Course for AP® Psychology!
About the Author
Larry Krieger earned a B.A. in Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and an M.S. from Wake Forest University. In a career spanning more that 40 years, Mr. Krieger has taught a variety of AP® subjects. His popular courses were renowned for their energetic presentations, commitment to scholarship, and helping students achieve high AP® exam scores. All of Mr. Krieger’s students scored above a 3 on their AP® exams, with most students scoring a 4 or a 5. In 2004 and 2005, the College Board® recognized Mr. Krieger as one of the nation’s foremost AP® teachers.
Mr. Krieger’s success has extended far beyond the classroom. He has written several history textbooks and is a co-author of REA’s Art History AP® test preparation guide. His latest venture, the AP® Crash Course® series, helps students strategically and effectively prepare for their AP® exams.
|Psychology Applied to Modern Life: Adjustment in the 21st Century
Lowest new price: $50.57
Lowest used price: $9.06
List price: $239.95
Author: Wayne Weiten
Filled with comprehensive, balanced coverage of classic and contemporary research, relevant examples, and engaging applications, this book shows you how psychology helps you understand yourself and the world-and uses psychological principles to illuminate the variety of opportunities you have in your life and your future career. While professors cite this bestselling book for its academic credibility and the authors' ability to stay current with 'hot topics,' students say it's one text they just don't want to stop reading. The book and associated workbook are highly readable, engaging, and visually appealing, providing you with a wealth of material you can put to use every day.
- hardcover study textbook for psychology
|Summary of How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Lowest new price: $9.21
Lowest used price: $11.63
List price: $15.00
Author: Napoleon Hook
The Best Summary Book of How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie!
WHY BUY THIS BOOK:
- Save time and money by reading this summary
- Gain more in-depth knowledge
Disclaimer: This is a summary, review of the book How to Win Friends and Influence People and not the original book.
You can find the original here:
ABOUT THE ORIGINAL BOOK:
Author: Dale Carnegie
Dale Harbison Carnegie was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking, and interpersonal skills. Born into poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People (1936), a bestseller that remains popular today. He also wrote How to Stop Worrying and Start Living (1948), Lincoln the Unknown (1932), and several other books.
How To Win Friends And Influence People is a great book which will provide you with all the necessary methods you need to know to develop your social interactions. Thought this book is established for people who are into business, people from all class can use the advice to enrich their lifestyle. This book will save you if you are having troubles with your communication skills.
The book contains the most essential principles of social interaction and highly effective techniques for dealing with people.
- Six ways to make people like you
- Twelve ways to win people to your way of thinking
- Nine ways to change people without arousing resentment
To get this book, Scroll Up Now and Click on the “Buy now with 1-Click” Button to Download your Copy Right Away!
Enjoy this edition instantly on your Kindle device!
Now available in paperback and digital editions.
|Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success
Lowest new price: $14.03
Lowest used price: $9.35
List price: $24.99
Author: Brad Stulberg
"A transfixing book on how to sustain peak performance and avoid burnout" ― Adam Grant, New York Times bestselling author of Option B, Originals, and Give and Take
"An essential playbook for success, happiness, and getting the most out of ourselves." ― Arianna Huffington, author of Thrive and The Sleep Revolution
"I doubt anyone can read Peak Performance without itching to apply something to their own lives." ― David Epstein, New York Times bestselling author of The Sports Gene
A few common principles drive performance, regardless of the field or the task at hand. Whether someone is trying to qualify for the Olympics, break ground in mathematical theory or craft an artistic masterpiece, many of the practices that lead to great success are the same. In Peak Performance, Brad Stulberg, a former McKinsey and Company consultant and writer who covers health and the science of human performance, and Steve Magness, a performance scientist and coach of Olympic athletes, team up to demystify these practices and demonstrate how everyone can achieve their best.
The first book of its kind, Peak Performance combines the inspiring stories of top performers across a range of capabilities - from athletic, to intellectual, to artistic - with the latest scientific insights into the cognitive and neurochemical factors that drive performance in all domains. In doing so, Peak Performance uncovers new linkages that hold promise as performance enhancers but have been overlooked in our traditionally-siloed ways of thinking. The result is a life-changing book in which readers learn how to enhance their performance via myriad ways including: optimally alternating between periods of intense work and rest; priming the body and mind for enhanced productivity; and developing and harnessing the power of a self-transcending purpose.
In revealing the science of great performance and the stories of great performers across a wide range of capabilities, Peak Performance uncovers the secrets of success, and coaches readers on how to use them. If you want to take your game to the next level, whatever "your game" may be, Peak Performance will teach you how.
Page 4 of 1466
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.