|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Psychological Assessment with the MMPI-2 / MMPI-2-RF
Lowest new price: $68.50
Lowest used price: $97.71
List price: $104.95
Author: Alan F. Friedman
Brand: Alan F Friedman
This third edition apprises users of the MMPI-2/MMPI-2-Restructured Form (RF) for the ever-changing landscape of this dynamic personality/psychopathology instrument and its expanding utility in a variety of contexts. Two new chapters addressing the RC scales and the MMPI-2-RF are included in this updated text. Additionally, over 450 new references have been incorporated into the book, with information gathered and organized for practical clinical and forensic applications. The codetype interpretation chapter has expanded its sections with more in-depth feedback information and treatment considerations for clinicians to help in facilitating the formulation of treatment recommendations and strengthening therapeutic relationships with their clients. A number of special scales with clinical and forensic applications are also covered in this edition. An important section has been added addressing the MMPI and suicide.
This new edition is a must-have resource that will inform and guide users of the MMPI-2 and MMPI-2-RF in their daily practices, and assist researchers in conceptualizing the operating characteristics and configural relationships among the various scales and indices that comprise this instrument. From simple single scale interpretation to complex configural relationships, this text addresses a broad bandwidth of interpretive information designed for text users’ at all levels of sophistication.
- Psychological Assessment with the MMPI 2 MMPI 2 RF
|Criminal & Behavioral Profiling
Lowest new price: $57.97
Lowest used price: $45.94
List price: $61.00
Author: Curtis R. Bartol
Brand: Brand: SAGE Publications, Inc
Criminal and Behavioral Profiling, by well-established authors Curt and Anne Bartol, presents a realistic and empirically-based look at the theory, research, and practice of modern criminal profiling. Designed for use in a variety of criminal justice and psychology courses, the book delves into the process of identifying distinctive behavioral tendencies, geographical locations, demographic and biographical descriptors of an offender (or offenders), and sometimes personality traits, based on characteristics of the crime. Timely literature and case studies from the rapidly growing international research in criminal profiling help students understand the best practices, major pitfalls, and psychological concepts that are key to this process.
- Criminal Behavioral Profiling
|Motivational Interviewing with Offenders: Engagement, Rehabilitation, and Reentry (Applications of Motivational Interviewing)
Lowest new price: $24.67
Lowest used price: $25.54
List price: $27.00
Author: Jill D. Stinson
From experts on working with court-mandated populations, this book shows how motivational interviewing (MI) can help offenders move beyond resistance or superficial compliance and achieve meaningful behavior change. Using this evidence-based approach promotes successful rehabilitation and reentry by drawing on clients' values, goals, and strengths--not simply telling them what to do. The authors clearly describe the core techniques of MI and bring them to life with examples and sample dialogues from a range of criminal justice and forensic settings. Of crucial importance, the book addresses MI implementation in real-world offender service systems, including practical strategies for overcoming obstacles.
This book is in the Applications of Motivational Interviewing series, edited by Stephen Rollnick, William R. Miller, and Theresa B. Moyers.
|Forensic Reports and Testimony: A Guide to Effective Communication for Psychologists and Psychiatrists
Lowest new price: $55.54
Lowest used price: $55.52
List price: $70.00
Author: Randy K. Otto
Forensic Reports & Testimony: A Guide to Effective Communication for Psychologists and Psychiatrists provides a roadmap for the mental health professional who wants to provide consistently accurate, defensible, and useful reports and testimony to the legal system. Authors Randy K. Otto, Richart L. DeMier, and Marcus Boccaccini, recognized experts in the field, cover all aspects of the process, including preparing affidavits and reports, preparing for depositions, and testifying. Every written or spoken communication for the courts must be clear and precise, and distinguish between facts, inferences, and opinions. This book uniquely: •Shows the critical differences between forensic psychological reports and the clinical reports psychologists and psychiatrists are accustomed to writing •Includes and explains important maxims of forensic report writing, including separating facts from inferences, focusing on offering expert opinions, explaining why you think what you think, and connecting the dots between facts and conclusions •Provides numerous examples of experts' testimony, affidavits, reports-with commentary and critiques Expert forensic work deserves to be presented in a clear, precise, and understandable way so that it is useful to attorneys, judges, and juries. Forensic Reports & Testimony provides the guidelines and models forensic psychologists and forensic psychiatrists need to make that happen.
|Digital Evidence and Computer Crime: Forensic Science, Computers and the Internet, 3rd Edition
Lowest new price: $48.26
Lowest used price: $20.75
List price: $69.95
Author: Eoghan Casey
Digital Evidence and Computer Crime, Third Edition, provides the knowledge necessary to uncover and use digital evidence effectively in any kind of investigation.
It offers a thorough explanation of how computer networks function, how they can be involved in crimes, and how they can be used as a source of evidence. In particular, it addresses the abuse of computer networks as well as privacy and security issues on computer networks.
This updated edition is organized into five parts. Part 1 is about digital forensics and covers topics ranging from the use of digital evidence in the courtroom to cybercrime law. Part 2 explores topics such as how digital investigations are conducted, handling a digital crime scene, and investigative reconstruction with digital evidence. Part 3 deals with apprehending offenders, whereas Part 4 focuses on the use of computers in digital investigation. The book concludes with Part 5, which includes the application of forensic science to networks.
New to this edition are updated information on dedicated to networked Windows, Unix, and Macintosh computers, as well as Personal Digital Assistants; coverage of developments in related technology and tools; updated language for search warrant and coverage of legal developments in the US impacting computer forensics; and discussion of legislation from other countries to provide international scope. There are detailed case examples that demonstrate key concepts and give students a practical/applied understanding of the topics, along with ancillary materials that include an Instructor's Manual and PowerPoint slides.
This book will prove valuable to computer forensic students and professionals, lawyers, law enforcement, and government agencies (IRS, FBI, CIA, CCIPS, etc.).
- Named The 2011 Best Digital Forensics Book by InfoSec Reviews
- Provides a thorough explanation of how computers & networks function, how they can be involved in crimes, and how they can be used as evidence
- Features coverage of the abuse of computer networks and privacy and security issues on computer networks
Practitioner's Tips from Digital Evidence and Computer Crime's Chapter on Digital Evidence in the Courtroom
- In practice, many searches are conducted with consent. One of the biggest problems with consensual searches is that digital investigators must cease the search when the owner withdraws consent. However, digital investigators may be able to use the evidence gathered from a consensual search to establish probable cause and obtain a search warrant.
- Once a search warrant is obtained, there is generally a limited amount of time to execute the search. Therefore, it is prudent to obtain a search warrant only after sufficient preparations have been made to perform the search in the allotted time period. Any evidence obtained under an expired search warrant may not be admissible.
- Many digital investigators use the terminology “is consistent with” inappropriately to mean that an item of digital evidence might have been due to a certain action or event. For many people, to say that something is consistent with something else means that the two things are identical, without any differences. To avoid confusion, digital investigators are encouraged only to state that something is consistent with something else if the two things are the same and to otherwise use the terminology “is compatible with.”
- Given the complexity of modern computer systems, it is not unusual for digital investigators to encounter unexpected and undocumented behaviors during a forensic analysis of digital evidence. Such behaviors can cause unwary digital investigators to reach incorrect conclusions that can have a significant impact on a case, sometimes leading to false accusations. Thorough testing with as similar an environment to the original as possible can help avoid such mistakes and resolve differences in interpretation of digital evidence. Provided digital investigators can replicate the actions that led to the digital evidence in question, they can generally agree on what the evidence means. When it is not possible to replicate the exact environment or digital evidence under examination, digital investigators may need to rely on their understanding of the systems involved, which is where differences of opinion can arise.
- Careful use of language is needed to present digital evidence and associated conclusions as precisely as possible. Imprecise use of language in an expert report can give decision makers the wrong impression or create confusion. Therefore, digital investigators should carefully consider the level of certainty in their conclusions and should qualify their findings and conclusions appropriately.
Read a sample chapter on genesis and migration from Digital Evidence and Computer Crime
|Forensic Social Work, Second Edition: Psychosocial and Legal Issues Across Diverse Populations and Settings
Lowest new price: $53.85
Lowest used price: $57.94
List price: $80.00
This extensively revised edition reviews the latest research and practices in forensic social work. Readers learn to integrate socio-legal knowledge when working with diverse populations in a variety of settings. Noted interdisciplinary contributors review the most common forensic issues encountered in the field to better prepare readers to deal with the resulting financial, psychological, emotional, and legal ramifications. Using a human rights and social justice approach, the book demonstrates the use of a forensic lens when working with individuals, families, organizations, and communities who struggle with human rights and social justice issues. Each chapter features objectives, competencies, Voices from the Field, a summary, exercises, and additional resources.
- Highlights working with various populations such as minorities, immigrants, veterans, the elderly, LGBTQ persons, persons with disabilities, substance abusers, trauma survivors, and more.
- Reviews the field’s conceptual and historical foundation and pertinent laws to better prepare readers for professional practice (Part 1).
- Introduces the most common forensic issues encountered when working in various settings including health care, social and protective services, the child welfare system, the criminal justice system, school systems, immigration services, addiction treatment facilities, and more (Part 2).
- Provides a wealth of practical guidance via case studies and interviewing, assessment, and intervention tips.
- Voices from the Field written by seasoned practitioners introduce common situations readers are likely to encounter.
New to this Edition:
- Highlights the 2015 Council on Social Work Education’s (CSWE) Policies and Accreditation Standards throughout the text.
- Greatly expanded coverage from 26 to 32 chapters with more on healthcare, housing, employment, the juvenile and criminal justice system, adult protective services, and the dynamics of oppression.
- New Part dedicated to the core skills that must be mastered by forensic social workers including evidence-based assessments and interventions, forensic interviewing, expert testimonies, case and policy advocacy, program development, and research and evaluation (Part 3).
- Highlights the latest interventions including trauma informed and restorative justice practices.
- Updated content related to the DSM-5 and healthcare reform.
- Reflects the latest immigration policies, criminal justice reform, the Violence Against Women Act, and the Older Americans Act.
- More instructor resources including sample syllabi, Power Points, interviewing, evaluation, and assessment forms and checklists.
Ideal for MSW and BSW courses in forensic social work as well as forensic/legal courses taught in criminal justice and psychology, practitioners working in a variety of settings who must have a working knowledge of forensic social work will appreciate this book’s comprehensive overview of the field.
|Dangerous Instincts: Use an FBI Profiler's Tactics to Avoid Unsafe Situations
Lowest new price: $10.49
Lowest used price: $3.60
List price: $16.00
Author: Mary Ellen O'Toole Ph.D
Brand: Plume Books
Fear can't help you in a dangerous situation. A former FBI profiler shows you what can.
As one of the world's top experts on psychopathy and criminal behavior, Mary Ellen O'Toole has seen repeatedly how relying on the sense of fear alone often fails to protect us from danger. Whether you are opening the door to a stranger or meeting a date you connected with online, you need to know how to protect yourself from harm-physical, financial, legal, and professional.
Using the SMART method, which O'Toole developed and used at the FBI, we can confidently know how to:
- Respond to a threat in any situation
- Hire someone who will work inside your home like a contractor or housekeeper
- Figure out whether a prospective employee is a safe bet
- Know whom you can trust with your children
An especially useful book for women living alone, parents who are concerned about their children's safety, and employers worried about employees who might go postal, Dangerous Instincts gives us the tools used by professionals to navigate potentially hazardous waters. Like The Gift of Fear and The Sociopath Next Door, it will appeal to anyone looking to make the right call in an ever threatening world.
|The Roots of Modern Psychology and Law: A Narrative History
Lowest new price: $35.00
List price: $35.00
Psychology's formal interaction with law began early in the twentieth century, though little in the way of substantive scholarly and professional development occurred until several decades later. The emergence of psychology and law as a modern field of scholarship was marked by the founding of the American Psychology-Law Society (AP-LS) in 1969, now approaching its 50th anniversary. The scientific foundation upon which the modern field now rests was established by a small group of psychological researchers, legal scholars, and clinicians.
The Roots of Modern Psychology and Law: A Narrative History reveals how the field developed during the first decade following the founding of the American Psychology-Law Society. The contributors to this edited volume, widely considered to be among the "founders" of the field, were responsible for establishing and nurturing many of the subfields and topics in psychology and law or forensic psychology that flourished across the next fifty years. In each chapter, these leaders explain in narrative form how and why the field and the Society developed in its early years through the recounting of key professional events in their careers during the 1970s. In some cases this was their first major research study using psychology applied to legal issues. In others it was their development of seminal ideas or organizational innovations that had a later impact on the field's development. The volume chronicles how an emerging AP-LS and field of psychology and law were shaped by these psychologists, and how their own initial work was, in turn, shaped by the organization.
|Forensic Psychology For Dummies
Lowest new price: $14.30
Lowest used price: $8.46
List price: $19.99
Author: David V. Canter
A fascinating guide on the psychology of crime
Thinking of a career that indulges your CSI fantasies? Want to understand the psychology of crime? Whether studying it for the first time or an interested spectator, Forensic Psychology For Dummies gives you all the essentials for understanding this exciting field, complemented with fascinating case examples from around the world.
Inside you'll find out why people commit crime, how psychology helps in the investigative process, the ways psychologists work with criminals behind bars - and how you too can become a forensic psychologist. You'll discover what a typical day is like for a forensic psychologist, how they work with the police to build offender profiles, interview suspects or witnesses, and detect lies!
- Covers the important role psychology plays in assessing offenders
- Explains how psychology is applied in the courtroom
- Explains complicated psychology concepts in easy-to-understand terms
If you're a student considering taking forensic psychology or just love to learn about the science behind crime, Forensic Psychology For Dummies is everything you need to get up-to-speed on this fascinating subject.
|Profiling Violent Crimes: An Investigative Tool
Lowest new price: $56.00
Lowest used price: $15.32
List price: $87.00
Author: Ronald M. Holmes
Brand: Ronald M Holmes
"Excellent book, I have used this for my Criminal Behavior course for a number of years. Very authoritative."
―Harry Cramer, Quincy University
The Fourth Edition of this best-selling text provides students with the most up-to-date information on the increasingly popular field of psychological profiling. Well-known authors Ronald M. Holmes and Stephen T. Holmes build upon their continued research and involvement in field investigation as a source of relevant and often high-profile case studies to illustrate theory and application of the methods discussed. The text is particularly readable and engaging, making frequent use of illustrative tables and figures and presenting occasional photos.
New to the Fourth Edition
- Offers a new chapter on Lizzie Borden (Chapter 14), analyzing this historic murder case with fresh insight and a unique analysis while retaining the chapter on Jack the Ripper, a classic unresolved serial murderer
- Covers more recent events such as the killings at Northern Illinois University and Virginia Tech
- Provides a new section on Santeria and the occult to understand the dogma and icons of these teachings and investigates reasons behind crimes committed by some followers
- Offers guidance to students for online graduate programs, seminars, and degrees in criminal profiling
- Includes updated tables and crime statistics throughout the text
- Presents new photos to offer authentic representations of violent crimes and offenders
This best-seller has long been a successful supplemental text for undergraduate criminology and criminal justice courses, including Criminal Investigation, Criminal Profiling, Violent Crimes, Criminal Behavior, Field Investigation, and Forensic Psychology.
- Profiling Violent Crimes An Investigative Tool
Page 4 of 168
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.