|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
Lowest new price: $10.89
Lowest used price: $10.61
List price: $27.99
Author: Hans Rosling
Brand: Flatiron Books
INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
“One of the most important books I’ve ever read―an indispensable guide to thinking clearly about the world.” – Bill Gates
“Hans Rosling tells the story of ‘the secret silent miracle of human progress’ as only he can. But Factfulness does much more than that. It also explains why progress is so often secret and silent and teaches readers how to see it clearly.” ―Melinda Gates
"Factfulness by Hans Rosling, an outstanding international public health expert, is a hopeful book about the potential for human progress when we work off facts rather than our inherent biases." - Former U.S. President Barack Obama
Factfulness: The stress-reducing habit of only carrying opinions for which you have strong supporting facts.
When asked simple questions about global trends―what percentage of the world’s population live in poverty; why the world’s population is increasing; how many girls finish school―we systematically get the answers wrong. So wrong that a chimpanzee choosing answers at random will consistently outguess teachers, journalists, Nobel laureates, and investment bankers.
In Factfulness, Professor of International Health and global TED phenomenon Hans Rosling, together with his two long-time collaborators, Anna and Ola, offers a radical new explanation of why this happens. They reveal the ten instincts that distort our perspective―from our tendency to divide the world into two camps (usually some version of us and them) to the way we consume media (where fear rules) to how we perceive progress (believing that most things are getting worse).
Our problem is that we don’t know what we don’t know, and even our guesses are informed by unconscious and predictable biases.
It turns out that the world, for all its imperfections, is in a much better state than we might think. That doesn’t mean there aren’t real concerns. But when we worry about everything all the time instead of embracing a worldview based on facts, we can lose our ability to focus on the things that threaten us most.
Inspiring and revelatory, filled with lively anecdotes and moving stories, Factfulness is an urgent and essential book that will change the way you see the world and empower you to respond to the crises and opportunities of the future.
“This book is my last battle in my life-long mission to fight devastating ignorance…Previously I armed myself with huge data sets, eye-opening software, an energetic learning style and a Swedish bayonet for sword-swallowing. It wasn’t enough. But I hope this book will be.” Hans Rosling, February 2017.
- "One of the most important books I've ever read_an indispensable guide to thinking clearly about the world." - Bill Gates
- "Hans Rosling tells the story of 'the secret silent miracle of human progress' as only he can. But Factfulness does much more than that. It also explains why progress is so often secret and silent and teaches readers how to see it clearly." _Melinda Gates
- Factfulness: The stress-reducing habit of only carrying opinions for which you have strong supporting facts.
- When asked simple questions about global trends_what percentage of the world's population live in poverty; why the world's population is increasing; how many girls finish school_we systematically get the answers wrong. So wrong that a chimpanzee choosing answers at random will consistently outguess teachers, journalists, Nobel laureates, and investment bankers.
- In Factfulness, Professor of International Health and global TED phenomenon Hans Rosling, together with his two long-time collaborators, Anna and Ola, offers a radical new explanation of why this happens. They reveal the ten instincts that distort our perspective_from our tendency to divide the world into two camps (usually some version of us and them) to the way we consume media (where fear rules) to how we perceive progress (believing that most things are getting worse).
|Outliers: The Story of Success
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $1.51
List price: $16.99
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Brand: Back Bay Books
In this stunning new book, Malcolm Gladwell takes us on an intellectual journey through the world of "outliers"--the best and the brightest, the most famous and the most successful. He asks the question: what makes high-achievers different?
His answer is that we pay too much attention to what successful people are like, and too little attention to where they are from: that is, their culture, their family, their generation, and the idiosyncratic experiences of their upbringing. Along the way he explains the secrets of software billionaires, what it takes to be a great soccer player, why Asians are good at math, and what made the Beatles the greatest rock band.
Brilliant and entertaining, Outliers is a landmark work that will simultaneously delight and illuminate.
|Lots of Fun Number Tracing Practice!: Learn numbers 0 to 20!
Lowest new price: $6.38
Lowest used price: $4.99
List price: $6.99
Author: Handwriting Time
So much fun, they won't know they're learning!Essential number tracing practice for preschool and kindergarten.
- Lots and Lots of Letter Tracing Practice!
- School Zone - Big Preschool Workbook - Ages 4 and Up, Colors, Shapes, Numbers 1-10, Alphabet, Pre-Writing, Pre-Reading, and Phonics (Big Get Ready Workbook)
- Letter Tracing Book for Preschoolers: Learn to Write for Kids
- Letter Tracing Book for Preschoolers: Letter Tracing Book, Practice For Kids, Ages 3-5, Alphabet Writing Practice
- Letter Tracing Book for Preschoolers 3-5 & Kindergarten: Letter Tracing Books for Kids Ages 3-5 & Kindergarten and Letter Tracing Workbook
- School Zone - Preschool Scholar Deluxe Edition Workbook, Ages 3 to 5, Shapes, ABCs, Early Math, and More
- Trace Letters Of The Alphabet and Sight Words (On The Go): Preschool Practice Handwriting Workbook: Pre K, Kindergarten and Kids Ages 3-5 Reading And Writing
- Handwriting: Printing Workbook (Brighter Child: Grades K-2)
- 100 Write-and-Learn Sight Word Practice Pages: Engaging Reproducible Activity Pages That Help Kids Recognize, Write, and Really LEARN the Top 100 High-Frequency Words That are Key to Reading Success
- Number Tracing Book for Preschoolers: Number tracing books for kids ages 3-5,Number tracing workbook,Number Writing Practice Book,Number Tracing Book. Learning the easy Maths for kids (Volume 2)
|Counting With -Contando Con Frida (English and Spanish Edition)
Lowest new price: $6.51
Lowest used price: $3.99
List price: $9.99
Author: Patty Rodriguez
Brand: Lil' Libros
A Lil' Libros Bilingual Counting Book
Introduce your little one to the life of one of Mexico's most iconic painters, Frida Kahlo, while teaching them their numbers, 1 to 10, in English and Spanish. Count una casa azul (one blue house), tres flores (three flowers), and cinco retratos (five portraits).
Unable to find bilingual first concept books she could enjoy reading to her baby, Patty Rodriguez came up with the idea behind Lil' Libros.
Patty and her work have been featured in the Los Angeles Times, Rolling Stone, CNN Latino, Latina Magazine, Cosmopolitan, People En Espanol, Cosmo Latina, and American Latino TV, to name a few. She is currently Sr. Producer for On Air With Ryan Seacrest|iHeartMedia, jewelry designer for MALA by Patty Rodriguez, and creator of Manolos And Tacos.
Ariana Stein, a graduate from California State University, Dominguez Hills, has a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. Ariana spent the first eight years of her professional career in the corporate world. Her life changed with the birth of her baby boy. She immediately realized that bilingualism played a very important role in his future, as well as the future of other children.
|R for Data Science: Import, Tidy, Transform, Visualize, and Model Data
Lowest new price: $18.17
Lowest used price: $17.96
List price: $39.99
Author: Hadley Wickham
Brand: O Reilly Media
Learn how to use R to turn raw data into insight, knowledge, and understanding. This book introduces you to R, RStudio, and the tidyverse, a collection of R packages designed to work together to make data science fast, fluent, and fun. Suitable for readers with no previous programming experience, R for Data Science is designed to get you doing data science as quickly as possible.
Authors Hadley Wickham and Garrett Grolemund guide you through the steps of importing, wrangling, exploring, and modeling your data and communicating the results. You’ll get a complete, big-picture understanding of the data science cycle, along with basic tools you need to manage the details. Each section of the book is paired with exercises to help you practice what you’ve learned along the way.
You’ll learn how to:
- Wrangle—transform your datasets into a form convenient for analysis
- Program—learn powerful R tools for solving data problems with greater clarity and ease
- Explore—examine your data, generate hypotheses, and quickly test them
- Model—provide a low-dimensional summary that captures true "signals" in your dataset
- Communicate—learn R Markdown for integrating prose, code, and results
|An Introduction to Statistical Learning: with Applications in R (Springer Texts in Statistics)
Lowest new price: $55.37
Lowest used price: $34.00
List price: $79.99
Author: Gareth James
An Introduction to Statistical Learning provides an accessible overview of the field of statistical learning, an essential toolset for making sense of the vast and complex data sets that have emerged in fields ranging from biology to finance to marketing to astrophysics in the past twenty years. This book presents some of the most important modeling and prediction techniques, along with relevant applications. Topics include linear regression, classification, resampling methods, shrinkage approaches, tree-based methods, support vector machines, clustering, and more. Color graphics and real-world examples are used to illustrate the methods presented. Since the goal of this textbook is to facilitate the use of these statistical learning techniques by practitioners in science, industry, and other fields, each chapter contains a tutorial on implementing the analyses and methods presented in R, an extremely popular open source statistical software platform.
Two of the authors co-wrote The Elements of Statistical Learning (Hastie, Tibshirani and Friedman, 2nd edition 2009), a popular reference book for statistics and machine learning researchers. An Introduction to Statistical Learning covers many of the same topics, but at a level accessible to a much broader audience. This book is targeted at statisticians and non-statisticians alike who wish to use cutting-edge statistical learning techniques to analyze their data. The text assumes only a previous course in linear regression and no knowledge of matrix algebra.
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction, Second Edition (Springer Series in Statistics)
- Applied Predictive Modeling
- R for Everyone: Advanced Analytics and Graphics (2nd Edition) (Addison-Wesley Data & Analytics Series)
- R for Data Science: Import, Tidy, Transform, Visualize, and Model Data
- Deep Learning (Adaptive Computation and Machine Learning)
- Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications (International Series on Actuarial Science)
- Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques to Build Intelligent Systems
- Practical Statistics for Data Scientists: 50 Essential Concepts
- Python Machine Learning: Machine Learning and Deep Learning with Python, scikit-learn, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
|Barron's AP Calculus
Lowest new price: $8.91
Lowest used price: $7.50
List price: $18.99
Author: David Bock M.S. Ed.
Barron’s AP Calculus is aligned with the current exam curriculum and provides comprehensive review and practice exams for both AP Calculus AB and BC.
This edition includes:
- Three practice exams for Calculus AB and three for Calculus BC, all modified to reflect the new exam format
- Answer explanations for all test questions
- Diagnostic tests to help pinpoint strengths and weaknesses
- Detailed subject review covering topics for both exams
- Advice to students on efficient use of their graphing calculators
Online Practice Test: Students will also get access to one additional full-length online AP Calculus test with all questions answered and explained.
|Math with Bad Drawings: Illuminating the Ideas That Shape Our Reality
Lowest new price: $19.03
Lowest used price: $20.03
List price: $27.99
Author: Ben Orlin
A hilarious reeducation in mathematics-full of joy, jokes, and stick figures-that sheds light on the countless practical and wonderful ways that math structures and shapes our world.
In Math With Bad Drawings, Ben Orlin reveals to us what math actually is; its myriad uses, its strange symbols, and the wild leaps of logic and faith that define the usually impenetrable work of the mathematician.
Truth and knowledge come in multiple forms: colorful drawings, encouraging jokes, and the stories and insights of an empathetic teacher who believes that math should belong to everyone. Orlin shows us how to think like a mathematician by teaching us a brand-new game of tic-tac-toe, how to understand an economic crises by rolling a pair of dice, and the mathematical headache that ensues when attempting to build a spherical Death Star.
Every discussion in the book is illustrated with Orlin's trademark "bad drawings," which convey his message and insights with perfect pitch and clarity. With 24 chapters covering topics from the electoral college to human genetics to the reasons not to trust statistics, Math with Bad Drawings is a life-changing book for the math-estranged and math-enamored alike.
|Elements of Programming Interviews in Python: The Insiders' Guide
Lowest new price: $35.96
Lowest used price: $34.99
List price: $39.95
Author: Adnan Aziz
Brand: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Take great care to buy the latest version: bit.ly/buyingEPI
EPI includes a framework for writing your solutions, as well as testing them against a comprehensive set of test-cases. Head over to judge.elementsofprogramminginterviews.com for details.
Before you buy this book, please first head over to our sample page - elementsofprogramminginterviews.com/sample
The sampler should give you a very good idea of the quality and style of our book. In particular, be sure you are comfortable with the level and with our Python coding style.
Since different candidates have different time constraints, EPI includes a study guide with several scenarios, ranging from weekend Hackathon to semester long preparation with a recommended a subset of problems for each scenario.
All problems are classified in terms of their difficulty level and include many variants to help you apply what you have learned more widely.
All problems includes hints for readers who get stuck. This simulates what you will face in the real interview.
The version being sold by Amazon itself is always current. Some resellers may have older versions, especially if they sell used copies.
|The 125 Best Brain Teasers of All Time: A Mind-Blowing Challenge of Math, Logic, and Wordplay
Lowest new price: $8.70
Lowest used price: $7.00
List price: $12.99
Author: Marcel Danesi Ph.D
Solve history’s greatest puzzles with this classic collection of brain teasers from The Best Brain Teasers of All Time.
The best brain teasers are those that have challenged and captivated the attention of puzzle lovers throughout time. Collected here to keep your wits sharp, The Best Brain Teasers of All Time features the cleverest brain teasers from around the world and throughout history.
The Best Brain Teasers of All Time gives you hours of fun-filled entertainment with brain teasers that develop your problem-solving skills in math, logic, and wordplay. Organized as an integrated challenge, these brain teasers build in momentum as they increase in difficulty from classic nursery rhymes to the riddle of the sphinx.
The Best Brain Teasers of All Time puts your mind to the test with:
- 125 Brain Teasers that require no special skills to solve. Plus, each question comes with an optional clue in case you get stumped and a handy answer key in the back to test yourself or play with friends
- Brain Teasers for Every Level that cater to beginners and advanced masterminds alike, with brain teasers organized by level of difficulty to improve your skills as you move forward
- Hints of History that provide fun facts and background information for every brain teaser
Get ready to sharpen your wit with every “aha” moment. The Best Brain Teasers of All Time is a go-to source for timeless fun and mind-blowing challenges.
Page 1 of 7645
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.