|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Strange Glow: The Story of Radiation
Lowest new price: $13.99
Lowest used price: $14.27
List price: $19.95
Author: Timothy J. Jorgensen
More than ever before, radiation is a part of our modern daily lives. We own radiation-emitting phones, regularly get diagnostic x-rays, such as mammograms, and submit to full-body security scans at airports. We worry and debate about the proliferation of nuclear weapons and the safety of nuclear power plants. But how much do we really know about radiation? And what are its actual dangers? An accessible blend of narrative history and science, Strange Glow describes mankind's extraordinary, thorny relationship with radiation, including the hard-won lessons of how radiation helps and harms our health. Timothy Jorgensen explores how our knowledge of and experiences with radiation in the last century can lead us to smarter personal decisions about radiation exposures today.
Jorgensen introduces key figures in the story of radiation―from Wilhelm Roentgen, the discoverer of x-rays, and pioneering radioactivity researchers Marie and Pierre Curie, to Thomas Edison and the victims of the recent Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant accident. Tracing the most important events in the evolution of radiation, Jorgensen explains exactly what radiation is, how it produces certain health consequences, and how we can protect ourselves from harm. He also considers a range of practical scenarios such as the risks of radon in our basements, radiation levels in the fish we eat, questions about cell-phone use, and radiation's link to cancer. Jorgensen empowers us to make informed choices while offering a clearer understanding of broader societal issues.
Investigating radiation's benefits and risks, Strange Glow takes a remarkable look at how, for better or worse, radiation has transformed our society.
|Photochemistry of Organic Compounds: From Concepts to Practice
Lowest new price: $66.14
Lowest used price: $43.99
List price: $81.00
Author: Petr Klán
Brand: Brand: Wiley-Blackwell
Photochemistry of Organic Compounds: From Concepts to Practice provides a hands-on guide demonstrating the underlying principles of photochemistry and, by reference to a range of organic reaction types, its effective use in the synthesis of new organic compounds and in various applications.
The book presents a complete and methodical approach to the topic,
- Working from basic principles, discussing key techniques and studies of reactive intermediates, and illustrating synthetic photochemical procedures.
- Incorporating special topics and case studies covering various applications of photochemistry in chemistry, environmental sciences, biochemistry, physics, medicine, and industry.
- Providing extensive references to the original literature and to review articles.
- Concluding with a chapter on retrosynthetic photochemistry, listing key reactions to aid the reader in designing their own synthetic pathways.
This book will be a valuable source of information and inspiration for postgraduates as well as professionals from a wide range of chemical and natural sciences.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|Radiochemistry and Nuclear Chemistry, Fourth Edition
Lowest new price: $104.94
Lowest used price: $94.99
List price: $124.95
Author: Gregory Choppin
Brand: Gregory Choppin
Radiochemistry or nuclear chemistry is the study of radiation from an atomic and molecular perspective, including elemental transformation and reaction effects, as well as physical, health and medical properties.
This revised edition of one of the earliest and best-known books on the subject has been updated to bring into teaching the latest developments in research and the current hot topics in the field. To further enhance the functionality of this text, the authors have added numerous teaching aids, examples in MathCAD with variable quantities and options, hotlinks to relevant text sections from the book, and online self-grading tests.
- New edition of a well-known, respected text in the specialized field of nuclear/radiochemistry
- Includes an interactive website with testing and evaluation modules based on exercises in the book
- Suitable for both radiochemistry and nuclear chemistry courses
- Radiochemistry and Nuclear Chemistry
|Principles of Molecular Photochemistry: An Introduction
Lowest new price: $75.43
Lowest used price: $70.00
List price: $98.50
Author: Nicholas J. Turro
Brand: Brand: University Science Books
This book develops photochemical and photophysical concepts from a small set of familiar principles. Derived in part from Nick Turro s best-selling text for three decades Modern Molecular Photochemistry this updated primer introduces an initial paradigm that relates the photon and a reactant molecular structure to photochemistry through the structure and dynamics of electronically excited states, reactive intermediates and products. The same paradigm is readily adapted to incorporate the photon and a reactant molecular structure to photophysics. The book provides brilliantly clear descriptions in pictorial terms that can be readily understood by the student and applied to systems of interest. This text will be of interest to not only practicing photochemists and their students, but also to biological scientists, polymer scientists, material scientists and nanoscientists who use photochemistry and photophysics in their research and teaching.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|Uranium: War, Energy, and the Rock That Shaped the World
Lowest new price: $10.95
Lowest used price: $1.99
List price: $17.00
Author: Tom Zoellner
Brand: Tom Zoellner
The astonishing biography of a mineral that can sustain our world- or destroy it
Uranium occurs naturally in the earth's crust-yet holds the power to end all life on the planet. This is its fundamental paradox, and its story is a fascinating window into the valor, greed, genius, and folly of humanity. A problem for miners in the Middle Ages, an inspiration to novelists and a boon to medicine, a devastating weapon at the end of World War II, and eventually a polluter, killer, excuse for war with Iraq, potential deliverer of Armageddon and a possible last defense against global warming-Uranium is the riveting story of the most powerful element on earth, and one which will shape our future, for better or worse.
- Uranium War Energy and the Rock That Shaped the World
|Radiation Oncology for Pediatric CNS Tumors
Lowest new price: $95.01
Lowest used price: $99.18
List price: $109.00
This book reviews the principles and applications of radiotherapy in the management of pediatric brain tumors to allow the reader to gain a full appreciation of the major aspects involved in caring for these patients. Individual sections are devoted to basic principles, specific management for the full range of tumor entities, radiotherapy techniques, and potential toxicities and their management. The book is written and edited by world leaders in pediatric radiotherapy, and care has been taken to cover the latest advances in diagnosis and radiotherapy techniques.
Pediatric brain tumors represent a diverse group of neoplasms that require carefully planned management for successful definitive treatment. Radiotherapy is one of the fundamental components in treatment for the majority of these vulnerable patients. The optimal radiation therapy approach will depend on multiple factors, including tumor type and location, extent of disease, age of the patient, and other therapies. A thorough understanding of the natural history of the disease, communication with the multidisciplinary team, full knowledge of available radiotherapy techniques, and consideration of potential acute and late toxicities are therefore essential for each patient.
|Radiation Biophysics, Second Edition
Lowest new price: $138.60
Lowest used price: $125.00
List price: $165.00
Author: Edward L. Alpen
Brand: Edward L Alpen
This newly revised and updated edition of Radiation Biophysics provides an in-depth description of the physics and chemistry of radiation and its effects on biological systems. Coverage begins with fundamental concepts of the physics of radiation and radioactivity, then progresses through the chemistry and biology of the interaction of radiation with living systems. The Second Edition of this highly praised text includes major revisions which reflect the rapid advances in the field. New material covers recent developments in the fields of carcinogenesis, DNA repair, molecular genetics, and the molecular biology of oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes. The book also includes extensive discussion of the practical impact of radiation on everyday life.
- Covers the fundamentals of radiation physics in a manner that is understandable to students and professionals with a limited physics background
- Includes problem sets and exercises to aid both teachers and students
- Discusses radioactivity, internally deposited radionuclides, and dosimetry
- Analyzes the risks for occupational and non-occupational workers exposed to radiation sources
|Table of Isotopes, 8th Edition
Lowest new price: $264.17
Lowest used price: $50.00
List price: $346.00
Author: Richard B. Firestone
Nuclear structure and decay data for thousands of isotopes and isomers - a new update of the definitive reference.
The 1999 Table of Isotopes booklet set features:
* Nuclear structure and radioactive decay data for approximately 3,700 isotopes and isomers - an increase of more than 100 since the 1998 Update.
* Up-to-date mass chain information, with more than 10% revised material.
* The latest versions as of December 1998 of the Evaluated Nuclear Structure Data File (ENSDF) and Nuclear Science Reference (NSR) file.
* Additional data from several evaluation sources, including The Table of Superdeformed Nuclear Bands and Fission Isomers.
* Updated isotope summary table as well as energy-ordered gamma ray and alpha particle tables-now included on the software (available from the book's website at www.wiley-vch.de/books/info/0-471-35633-6).
* Updated appendices for elemental data, nuclear charts, and gamma ray energy standards.
* Adoption of the 1997 IUPAC recommended heavy element names.
* More than 25,000 references.
* Convenient links to additional atomic mass, nuclear astrophysics rates, spontaneous fission, thermal neutron capture, and more.
Plus, the Isotope Explorer 2.22 software lets you search the entire database by level scheme drawings, annotated tables, data plots, nuclear structure charts and keywords as well as download the latest data directly from the Table of Isotopes Web site.
The 1999 Update booklet features a new comprehensive isotope nuclear structure table. In addition, it provides clear, step-by-step instructions on navigating the Table of Isotopes electronic content and accessing its Web site.
System Requirements: PC, Macintosh(r), or UNIX(r) systems with double speed and sufficient RAM to run Adobe(TM) Acrobat(r) (see Adobe Acrobat Reader information in the book for specific system requirements). Included: Adobe Acrobat Reader(r) 3.02 for Windows(r) 95, 98, and NT and Linux 1.2.13 or higher; Acrobat Reader 3.01 for Windows 3.1; Isotope Explorer 2.22 for Windows 95, 98, and NT.
|Modern Nuclear Chemistry
Lowest new price: $114.75
Lowest used price: $187.54
List price: $175.00
Author: Walter D. Loveland
Written by established experts in the field, this book features in-depth discussions of proven scientific principles, current trends, and applications of nuclear chemistry to the sciences and engineering.
• Provides up-to-date coverage of the latest research and examines the theoretical and practical aspects of nuclear and radiochemistry
• Presents the basic physical principles of nuclear and radiochemistry in a succinct fashion, requiring no basic knowledge of quantum mechanics
• Adds discussion of math tools and simulations to demonstrate various phenomena, new chapters on Nuclear Medicine, Nuclear Forensics and Particle Physics, and updates to all other chapters
• Includes additional in-chapter sample problems with solutions to help students
• Reviews of 1st edition: "... an authoritative, comprehensive but succinct, state-of-the-art textbook ...." (The Chemical Educator) and "...an excellent resource for libraries and laboratories supporting programs requiring familiarity with nuclear processes ..." (CHOICE)
|Radiological Risk Assessment and Environmental Analysis
Lowest new price: $114.99
Lowest used price: $54.33
List price: $155.00
Brand: Till John E Grogan Helen A
Radiological Risk Assessment and Environmental Analysis comprehensively explains methods used for estimating risk to people exposed to radioactive materials released to the environment by nuclear facilities or in an emergency such as a nuclear terrorist event. This is the first book that merges the diverse disciplines necessary for estimating where radioactive materials go in the environment and the risk they present to people. It is not only essential to managers and scientists, but is also a teaching text.
The chapters are arranged to guide the reader through the risk assessment process, beginning with the source term (where the radioactive material comes from) and ending with the conversion to risk. In addition to presenting mathematical models used in risk assessment, data is included so the reader can perform the calculations. Each chapter also provides examples and working problems.
The book will be a critical component of the rebirth of nuclear energy now taking place, as well as an essential resource to prepare for and respond to a nuclear emergency.
- Radiologucal Risk Assessment and Environmental Analysis
Page 1 of 97
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.