|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
Hiking & Camping
|The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, and Cooking in the Wild
Lowest new price: $10.97
Lowest used price: $11.07
List price: $16.99
Author: Dave Canterbury
Brand: Adams Media
What to eat, where to find it, and how to cook it!
Renowned outdoors expert and New York Times bestselling author Dave Canterbury provides you with all you need to know about packing, trapping, and preparing food for your treks and wilderness travels. Whether you're headed out for a day hike or a weeklong expedition, you'll find everything you need to survive--and eat well--out in the wild.
Canterbury makes certain you're set by not only teaching you how to hunt and gather, but also giving you recipes to make while on the trail. Complete with illustrations to accompany his instructions and a full-color photo guide of plants to forage and those to avoid, this is the go-to reference to keep in your pack.
The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, and Cooking in the Wild helps you achieve the full outdoor experience. With it, you'll be prepared to set off on your trip and enjoy living off the land.
- The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping Gathering and Cooking in the Wild
|Lonely Planet New Zealand (Travel Guide)
Lowest new price: $9.65
Lowest used price: $16.43
List price: $27.99
Author: Lonely Planet
Brand: Lonely Planet
Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher
Lonely Planet New Zealand is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Experience Maori culture, be wowed by beautiful glaciers or hike through gorgeous scenery; all with your trusted travel companion. Get to the heart of New Zealand and begin your journey now!
Inside Lonely Planet's New Zealand Travel Guide:
- Colour maps and images throughout
- Highlights and itineraries help you tailor your trip to your personal needs and interests
- Insider tips to save time and money and get around like a local, avoiding crowds and trouble spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, phone numbers, websites, transit tips, prices
- Honest reviews for all budgets - eating, sleeping, sight-seeing, going out, shopping, hidden gems that most guidebooks miss
- Cultural insights give you a richer, more rewarding travel experience - Maori culture, history, cuisine, arts, music, landscape, wildlife
- Free, convenient pull-out touring map (included in print version), plus over 90 maps
- Covers Auckland, Bay of Islands, Coromandel Peninsula, Central Plateau, Rotorua, East Coast, Wellington, Marlborough, West Coast, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Fiordland, Southland and more
The Perfect Choice: Lonely Planet New Zealand , our most comprehensive guide to New Zealand, is perfect for both exploring top sights and taking roads less travelled.
- Looking for a guide focused on just the North or South islands of New Zealand? Check out Lonely Planet's New Zealand's South Island guide or New Zealand's North Island guide for a comprehensive look at what each of these islands to offer.
- Looking for just the highlights of New Zealand? Check out Discover New Zealand, a photo-rich guide to the country's most popular attractions.
Authors: Written and researched by Lonely Planet
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has become the world's leading travel media company with guidebooks to every destination, an award-winning website, mobile and digital travel products, and a dedicated traveler community. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but also enables curious travelers to get off beaten paths to understand more of the culture of the places in which they find themselves.
- Lonely Planet New Zealand
|A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
Lowest new price: $5.87
Lowest used price: $1.75
List price: $7.99
Author: Bill Bryson
Brand: Bryson, Bill
Soon to be a major motion picture starring Robert Redford and Nick Nolte.
The Appalachian Trail trail stretches from Georgia to Maine and covers some of the most breathtaking terrain in America–majestic mountains, silent forests, sparking lakes. If you’re going to take a hike, it’s probably the place to go. And Bill Bryson is surely the most entertaining guide you’ll find. He introduces us to the history and ecology of the trail and to some of the other hardy (or just foolhardy) folks he meets along the way–and a couple of bears. Already a classic, A Walk in the Woods will make you long for the great outdoors (or at least a comfortable chair to sit and read in).
Bill Bryson has made a living out of traveling and then writing about it. In The Lost Continent he re-created the road trips of his childhood; in Neither Here nor There he retraced the route he followed as a young backpacker traversing Europe. When this American transplant to Britain decided to return home, he made a farewell walking tour of the British countryside and produced Notes from a Small Island. Once back on American soil and safely settled in New Hampshire, Bryson once again hears the siren call of the open road--only this time it's a trail. The Appalachian Trail, to be exact. In A Walk in the Woods Bill Bryson tackles what is, for him, an entirely new subject: the American wilderness. Accompanied only by his old college buddy Stephen Katz, Bryson starts out one March morning in north Georgia, intending to walk the entire 2,100 miles to trail's end atop Maine's Mount Katahdin.
If nothing else, A Walk in the Woods is proof positive that the journey is the destination. As Bryson and Katz haul their out-of-shape, middle-aged butts over hill and dale, the reader is treated to both a very funny personal memoir and a delightful chronicle of the trail, the people who created it, and the places it passes through. Whether you plan to make a trip like this one yourself one day or only care to read about it, A Walk in the Woods is a great way to spend an afternoon. --Alix Wilber
|The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals―and Other Forgotten Skills (Natural Navigation)
Lowest new price: $10.84
Lowest used price: $7.98
List price: $16.95
Author: Tristan Gooley
Brand: Gooley Tristan
Turn Every Walk into a Game of Detection
When writer and navigator Tristan Gooley journeys outside, he sees a natural world filled with clues. The roots of a tree indicate the sun’s direction; the Big Dipper tells the time; a passing butterfly hints at the weather; a sand dune reveals prevailing wind; the scent of cinnamon suggests altitude; a budding flower points south. To help you understand nature as he does, Gooley shares more than 850 tips for forecasting, tracking, and more, gathered from decades spent walking the landscape around his home and around the world. Whether you’re walking in the country or city, along a coastline, or by night, this is the ultimate resource on what the land, sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and clouds can reveal—if you only know how to look!
- The Lost Art of Reading Nature s Signs Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way Predict the Weather Locate Water Track Animals and Other Forgotten Skills
|How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
Lowest new price: $11.00
Lowest used price: $7.38
List price: $19.99
Author: Bradford Angier
Brand: Workman Publishing
A practical, readable and indispensable guide for anyone venturing into the wilderness, this is a book that should be in every survival kit.
Broken down into four essential sections, Sustenance, Warmth, Orientation and Safety, this enlightening manual reveals how to catch game without a gun, what plants to eat (full-color illustrations of these make identification simple), how to build a warm shelter, make clothing, protect yourself and signal for help. Detailed illustrations and expanded instructions offer crucial information at a glance, making How to Stay Alive in the Woods truly a lifesaver.
- Written by an expert
- Revised and expanded
- Detailed step by step instruction
- Stay warm
- Stay dry
- How to Eat in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Foraging, Trapping, Fishing, and Finding Sustenance in the Wild
- Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
- Bushcraft First Aid: A Field Guide to Wilderness Emergency Care
- Tactical Paracord Bracelet X Series By AEGIS GEARS - Ultimate Emergency Survival Kit - Adjustable Size, Fire Starter, Compass, Fishing Kit, Milspec 550 Paracord & More. EDC Outdoor Camping Gear
- How to Traumatize Your Children: 7 Proven Methods to Help You Screw Up Your Kids Deliberately and with Skill
- Edible Wild Plants: Eastern/Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
- 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative’s Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
- UNBORED Games: Serious Fun for Everyone
- All My Friends Are Dead
- LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness
|Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills
Lowest new price: $25.49
Lowest used price: $25.41
List price: $34.95
Author: The Mountaineers
Brand: Brand: Mountaineers Books
Model: The Mountaineers Books
“The definitive guide to mountains and climbing . . .”―Conrad Anker
For nearly 60 years it’s been revered as the “bible” of mountaineering–and now it’s even better than ever
• The best-selling instructional text for new and intermediate climbers for more than half a century
• New edition―fully updated techniques and all-new illustrations
• Researched and written by a team of expert climbers
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills is the text beloved by generations of new climbers―the standard for climbing education around the world where it has been translated into 12 languages. For the all-new 9th Edition, committees comprosed of active climbers and climbing educators reviewed every chapter of instruction, and discussed updates with staff from the American Alpine Club (AAC), the American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE), and the Access Fund. They also worked with professional members of the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA), to review their work and ensure that the updated textbook includes the most current best practices for both alpine and rock climbing instruction.
From gear selection to belay and repel techniques, from glacier travel to rope work, to safety, safety, and more safety―there is no more comprehensive and thoroughly vetted training manual for climbing than the standard set by Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, 9th Edition.
Significant updates to this edition include:
• New alignment with AAC’s nationwide universal belay standard
• Expanded and more detailed avalanche safety info, including how to better understand avalanches, evaluate hazards, travel safely in avy terrain, and locate and rescue a fellow climber in an avalanche
• Newly revamped chapters on clothing and camping
• All-new illustrations reflecting the latest gear and techniques―created by artist John McMullen, former art director of Climbing magazine
• Review of and contributions to multiple sections by AMGA-certified guides
• Fresh approach to the Ten Essentials―now making the iconic list easier to recall
- The best-selling instructional text for new and intermediate climbers for more than half a century. New edition – fully updated techniques and all-new illustrations. Researched and written by a team of expert climbers.
- New alignment with AAC's nationwide universal belay standard. Expanded and more detailed avalanche safety info, including how to better understand avalanches, evaluate hazards, travel safely in avy terrain, and locate and rescue a fellow climber in an avalanche. Newly revamped chapters on clothing and camping.
- magazine. Review of and contributions to multiple sections by AMGA-certified guides. Fresh approach to the Ten Essentials – now making the iconic list easier to recall.
- 624 pages. Imported.
|Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder
Lowest new price: $6.49
Lowest used price: $2.20
List price: $15.95
Author: Richard Louv
Brand: Algonquin Books
"I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are," reports a fourth-grader. Never before in history have children been so plugged in-and so out of touch with the natural world. In this groundbreaking new work, child advocacy expert Richard Louv directly links the lack of nature in the lives of today's wired generation-he calls it nature deficit-to some of the most disturbing childhood trends, such as rises in obesity, Attention Deficit Disorder (Add), and depression. Some startling facts: By the 1990s the radius around the home where children were allowed to roam on their own had shrunk to a ninth of what it had been in 1970. Today, average eight-year-olds are better able to identify cartoon characters than native species, such as beetles and oak trees, in their own community. The rate at which doctors prescribe antidepressants to children has doubled in the last five years, and recent studies show that too much computer use spells trouble for the developing mind. Nature-deficit disorder is not a medical condition; it is a description of the human costs of alienation from nature. This alienation damages children and shapes adults, families, and communities. There are solutions, though, and they're right in our own backyards. Last child in the Woods is the first book to bring together cutting-edge research showing that direct exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development-physical, emotional, and spiritual. What's more, nature is a potent therapy for depression, obesity, and Add. Environment-based education dramatically improves standardized test scores and grade point averages and develops skills in problem solving, critical thinking, and decision making. Even creativity is stimulated by childhood experiences in nature.
|Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life: A Former CIA Officer Reveals Safety and Survival Techniques to Keep You and Your Family Protected
Lowest new price: $7.68
Lowest used price: $6.36
List price: $16.00
Author: Jason Hanson
The New York Times bestseller that reveals the safety, security, and survival techniques that 99% of Americans don’t know—but should
When Jason Hanson joined the CIA in 2003, he never imagined that the same tactics he used as a CIA officer for counter intelligence, surveillance, and protecting agency personnel would prove to be essential in every day civilian life.
In addition to escaping handcuffs, picking locks, and spotting when someone is telling a lie, he can improvise a self-defense weapon, pack a perfect emergency kit, and disappear off the grid if necessary. He has also honed his “positive awareness”—a heightened sense of his surroundings that allows him to spot suspicious and potentially dangerous behavior—on the street, in a taxi, at the airport, when dining out, or in any other situation.
In his engaging and empowering book Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life, Jason shares this know-how with readers, revealing how to:
• prevent home invasions, carjackings, muggings, and other violent crimes
• run counter-surveillance and avoid becoming a soft target
• recognize common scams at home and abroad
• become a human lie detector in any setting, including business negotiations
• gain peace of mind by being prepared for anything instead of uninformed or afraid
With the skill of a trained operative and the relatability of a suburban dad, Jason Hanson brings his top-level training to everyday Americans in this must-have guide to staying safe in an increasingly dangerous world.
|National Parks of America: Experience America's 59 National Parks (Lonely Planet)
Lowest new price: $11.01
Lowest used price: $10.91
List price: $29.99
Author: Lonely Planet
Brand: Lonely Planet
To celebrate America's amazing national parks, Lonely Planet, the world's leading travel publisher, takes you on an informative and gorgeous tour of all 59 parks with our lavishly finished hardcover gift guide packed with detailed itineraries and practical tips on what to do and see in each park to get you started planning your next adventure.
America's national parks are full of timeless marvels that still rejuvenate the soul: the world's largest trees in Sequoia; its most spectacular geothermal site in Yellowstone; the grandest canyon. Perhaps the movement's most eloquent description that is still resonates came from national parks advocate John Muir: 'Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity...' Fortunately for the nerve-shaken, over-civilized people of then and now, President Woodrow Wilson created the National Parks Service (NPS) on August 25, 1916, though the drive to protect some of America's most remarkable wild spaces, to be 'used and preserved for the benefit of mankind', began in the 1860s.
From Acadia to Zion, this beautiful introduction to America's preserved natural treasures is packed with landscape photography, original wildlife illustrations, and practical information. You will surely be inspired to rediscover these incredible spaces and find out why they're worth celebrating and you'll have all the tools to plan the first of many exciting trips.
This book is intended to be a practical introduction to each of America's 59 national parks, distilled by Lonely Planet's expert authors. We highlight the best activities and trails, explain how to get there and where to stay, show you the wildlife to watch out for, and suggest ideal itineraries. Whether you're lucky enough to have a park on your doorstep or need to travel further, we hope that the following pages inspire you both the iconic and lesser-known gems that make up the USA's diversely breathtaking expanses.
Covers all 59 US National Parks:
- American Samoa
- Big Bend
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison
- Bryce Canyon Canyonlands
- Capitol Reef
- Carlsbad Caverns
- Channel Islands
- Crater Lake
- Cuyahoga Valley
- Death Valley
- Dry Tortugas
- Gates of the Arctic
- Glacier Bay
- Grand Canyon
- Grand Teton
- Great Basin
- Great Sand Dunes
- Great Smoky Mountains
- Hawaii Volcanoes
- Hot Springs
- Isle Royale
- Joshua Tree
- Kenai Fjords
- Kings Canyon
- Kobuk Valley
- Lake Clark
- Lassen Volcanic
- Mammoth Cave
- Mesa Verde
- Mt Rainier
- North Cascades
- Petrified Forest
- Rocky Mountain
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Virgin Islands
- Wind Cave
- Wrangell-St Elias
About Lonely Planet: Started in 1973, Lonely Planet has become the world's leading travel guide publisher with guidebooks to every destination on the planet, as well as an award-winning website, a suite of mobile and digital travel products, and a dedicated traveller community. Lonely Planet's mission is to enable curious travellers to experience the world and to truly get to the heart of the places they find themselves in.
- National Parks of America Experience America s 59 National Parks
- The Most Scenic Drives in America, Newly Revised and Updated: 120 Spectacular Road Trips
- Your Guide to the National Parks: The Complete Guide to all 59 National Parks (Second edition)
- Complete Guide to the National Park Lodges
- National Geographic Secrets of the National Parks: The Experts' Guide to the Best Experiences Beyond the Tourist Trail (National Geographics Secrets of the National Parks)
- 50 States, 5,000 Ideas: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See, What to Do
- Lonely Planet USA's National Parks (Travel Guide)
- National Parks of Europe (Lonely Planet)
- National Geographic Complete National Parks of the United States, 2nd Edition: 400+ Parks, Monuments, Battlefields, Historic Sites, Scenic Trails, Recreation Areas, and Seashores
- Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World's Most Amazing Places
- The National Parks: America's Best Idea
|Bushcraft First Aid: A Field Guide to Wilderness Emergency Care
Lowest new price: $10.66
Lowest used price: $9.03
List price: $16.99
Author: Dave Canterbury
Brand: Canterbury Dave
From wilderness expert Dave Canterbury and outdoor survival instructor Jason Hunt comes the next installment in the New York Times bestselling Bushcraft series—a go-to first aid resource for anyone headed into the woods.
Out in the woods or on top of a mountain, there’s no calling 9-1-1. Bushcraft First Aid teaches you how to be your own first responder. The authors’ years of experience and training will help hikers and backpackers deal with a variety of emergency situations, from cuts and burns to broken bones and head injuries. You’ll also learn what to pack and how to make bandages, dressings, and slings at a moment’s notice. As bushcraft experts, Canterbury and Hunt explain how to use plants as medicine to treat various conditions. Bushcraft First Aid provides the lifesaving information you need to keep yourself and your fellow hikers safe on the trail.
- Bushcraft First Aid A Field Guide to Wilderness Emergency Care
Page 2 of 2829
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.