|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
Hiking & Camping
|The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self, Revised Edition
Lowest new price: $8.74
Lowest used price: $3.43
List price: $15.99
Author: Alice Miller
Brand: Basic Books AZ
The bestselling book on childhood trauma and the enduring effects of repressed anger and pain
Why are many of the most successful people plagued by feelings of emptiness and alienation? This wise and profound book has provided millions of readers with an answer--and has helped them to apply it to their own lives.
Far too many of us had to learn as children to hide our own feelings, needs, and memories skillfully in order to meet our parents' expectations and win their "love." Alice Miller writes, "When I used the word 'gifted' in the title, I had in mind neither children who receive high grades in school nor children talented in a special way. I simply meant all of us who have survived an abusive childhood thanks to an ability to adapt even to unspeakable cruelty by becoming numb.... Without this 'gift' offered us by nature, we would not have survived." But merely surviving is not enough. The Drama of the Gifted Child helps us to reclaim our life by discovering our own crucial needs and our own truth.
|Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills
Lowest new price: $22.18
Lowest used price: $25.41
List price: $34.95
Author: The Mountaineers
Brand: Brand: Mountaineers Books
Model: The Mountaineers Books
“The definitive guide to mountains and climbing . . .”―Conrad Anker
For nearly 60 years it’s been revered as the “bible” of mountaineering–and now it’s even better than ever
- The best-selling instructional text for new and intermediate climbers for more than half a century
- New edition―fully updated techniques and all-new illustrations
- Researched and written by a team of expert climbers
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills is the text beloved by generations of new climbers―the standard for climbing education around the world where it has been translated into 12 languages. For the all-new 9th Edition, committees comprosed of active climbers and climbing educators reviewed every chapter of instruction, and discussed updates with staff from the American Alpine Club (AAC), the American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE), and the Access Fund. They also worked with professional members of the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA), to review their work and ensure that the updated textbook includes the most current best practices for both alpine and rock climbing instruction.
From gear selection to belay and repel techniques, from glacier travel to rope work, to safety, safety, and more safety―there is no more comprehensive and thoroughly vetted training manual for climbing than the standard set by Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, 9th Edition.
Significant updates to this edition include:
• New alignment with AAC’s nationwide universal belay standard
• Expanded and more detailed avalanche safety info, including how to better understand avalanches, evaluate hazards, travel safely in avy terrain, and locate and rescue a fellow climber in an avalanche
• Newly revamped chapters on clothing and camping
• All-new illustrations reflecting the latest gear and techniques―created by artist John McMullen, former art director of Climbing magazine
• Review of and contributions to multiple sections by AMGA-certified guides
• Fresh approach to the Ten Essentials―now making the iconic list easier to recall
- Claimed Weight: 2lb 7oz
- Recommended Use: mountaineering
- Dimensions: 7.5 x 1.8 x 9.2in
- Publisher: The Mountaineers Books
- ISBN#: 978-1-68051-004-1
|The Daring Book for Girls
Lowest new price: $6.34
Lowest used price: $2.50
List price: $16.99
Author: Andrea J Buchanan
Brand: William Morrow Company
The Daring Book for Girls is the manual for everything that girls need to know—and that doesn't mean sewing buttonholes! Whether it's female heroes in history, secret note-passing skills, science projects, friendship bracelets, double dutch, cats cradle, the perfect cartwheel or the eternal mystery of what boys are thinking, this book has it all. But it's not just a guide to giggling at sleepovers—although that's included, of course! Whether readers consider themselves tomboys, girly-girls, or a little bit of both, this book is every girl's invitation to adventure.
|The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
Lowest new price: $9.95
Lowest used price: $5.07
List price: $16.00
Author: Michael Finkel
A National Geographic Best Book of the Year
Many people dream of escaping modern life. Most will never act on it—but in 1986, twenty-year-old Christopher Knight did just that when he left his home in Massachusetts, drove to Maine, and disappeared into the woods. He would not have a conversation with another person for the next twenty-seven years.
Drawing on extensive interviews with Knight himself, journalist Michael Finkel shows how Knight lived in a tent in a secluded encampment, developing ingenious ways to store provisions and stave off frostbite during the winters. A former alarm technician, he stealthily broke into nearby cottages for food, books, and supplies, taking only what he needed but sowing unease in a community plagued by his mysterious burglaries. Since returning to the world, he has faced unique challenges—and compelled us to reexamine our assumptions about what makes a good life. By turns riveting and thought-provoking, The Stranger in the Woods gives us a deeply moving portrait of a man determined to live his own way.
- A National Geographic Best Book of the Year National Bestseller Many people dream of escaping modern life. Most will never act on it-but in 1986, twenty-year-old Christopher Knight did just that when he left his home in Massachusetts, drove to Maine, and disappeared into the woods. He would not have a conversation with another person for the next twenty-seven years.
|Buck, Buck, Moose: Recipes and Techniques for Cooking Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope and Other Antlered Things
Lowest new price: $20.19
Lowest used price: $21.24
List price: $29.95
Author: Hank Shaw
Brand: H H Books
This is not your father's venison cookbook. Buck, Buck, Moose is the first comprehensive, lushly photographed, full-color guide to working with and cooking all forms of venison, including deer, elk, moose, antelope and caribou.
Buck, Buck, Moose will take you around the world, from nose to tail. The book features more than 100 recipes ranging from traditional dishes from six continents to original recipes never before seen.
You'll also get thorough instructions on how to butcher, age and store your venison, as well as how to use virtually every part of the animal. Buck, Buck, Moose also includes a lengthy section on curing venison and sausage-making.
Peppered throughout are stories of the hunt and essays on why venison holds such a special place in human society. Venison is far more than mere food. It is, in many ways, what made us human.
- Duck, Duck, Goose: The Ultimate Guide to Cooking Waterfowl, Both Farmed and Wild
- Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail: Upland Birds and Small Game from Field to Feast
- Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast
- The MeatEater Fish and Game Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for Every Hunter and Angler
- The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine: How I Spent a Year in the American Wild to Re-create a Feast from the Classic Recipes of French Master Chef Auguste Escoffier
- Venison: The Slay to Gourmet Field to Kitchen Cookbook
- The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game
- Afield: A Chef's Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish
- American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon
- The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 2: Small Game and Fowl
|The Yoga Bible
Lowest new price: $3.21
Lowest used price: $7.34
List price: $21.99
Author: Christina Brown
Brand: Walking Stick Press
Yoga brings not only a suppleness to the body but also a sense of spiritual and physical well-being to those who practice it. Featuring over 170 postures from the main schools of yoga, The Yoga Bible is the ultimate, comprehensive guide to practicing yoga and finding a mental and physical balance in life. The book encourages yoga beginners and experts alike to find a yoga sequence that suits their personal needs and abilities.
|Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $1.96
List price: $16.95
Author: Richard Louv
Brand: Algonquin Books
"I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the electrical outlets are," reports a fourth-grader. Never before in history have children been so plugged in-and so out of touch with the natural world. In this groundbreaking new work, child advocacy expert Richard Louv directly links the lack of nature in the lives of today's wired generation-he calls it nature deficit-to some of the most disturbing childhood trends, such as rises in obesity, Attention Deficit Disorder (Add), and depression. Some startling facts: By the 1990s the radius around the home where children were allowed to roam on their own had shrunk to a ninth of what it had been in 1970. Today, average eight-year-olds are better able to identify cartoon characters than native species, such as beetles and oak trees, in their own community. The rate at which doctors prescribe antidepressants to children has doubled in the last five years, and recent studies show that too much computer use spells trouble for the developing mind. Nature-deficit disorder is not a medical condition; it is a description of the human costs of alienation from nature. This alienation damages children and shapes adults, families, and communities. There are solutions, though, and they're right in our own backyards. Last child in the Woods is the first book to bring together cutting-edge research showing that direct exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development-physical, emotional, and spiritual. What's more, nature is a potent therapy for depression, obesity, and Add. Environment-based education dramatically improves standardized test scores and grade point averages and develops skills in problem solving, critical thinking, and decision making. Even creativity is stimulated by childhood experiences in nature.
|The Bushcraft Boxed Set: Bushcraft 101; Advanced Bushcraft; The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, & Cooking in the Wild; Bushcraft First Aid
Lowest new price: $56.94
Lowest used price: $58.74
List price: $67.99
Author: Dave Canterbury
The Bushcraft Boxed Set brings together four titles from wilderness expert and New York Times bestselling author Dave Canterbury.
The collection includes:
Bushcraft 101: The primer to wilderness survival based on the author’s 5Cs of Survivability (cutting tools, covering, combustion devices, containers, and cordages)
Advanced Bushcraft: Takes it to the next level with self-reliance skills that teach you how to survive with little to no equipment
The Bushcraft Guide to Trapping, Gathering, and Cooking in the Wild: Provides everything you need to know about packing, finding, and preparing food while trekking
Bushcraft First Aid: Written with Jason A. Hunt, PhD, it’s the go-to first aid resource for anyone headed into the woods
With this boxed set, you’ll be prepped and ready for your next outdoor adventure—wherever it takes you!
|Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton: Including Jackson Hole (Travel Guide)
Lowest new price: $13.11
Lowest used price: $14.50
List price: $19.99
Author: Becky Lomax
Find Your Adventure with Moon Travel Guides!
Forge your way through forests, across mountain peaks, past geysers, and more with Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton. Inside you'll find:
Experience the parks your way with Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton's practical tips, boundless activities, and reliable expertise.
- Itineraries for every timeline, budget, and travel style, ranging from one day in each national park to a week-long road trip covering both
- The top activities and unique ideas for exploring each park: Marvel at the steam-spewing Old Faithful geyser, or take a horseback ride to panoramic lakeside views. Hike through alpine forests to rushing waterfalls, and catch a glimpse of wild bison, elk, wolves, or bears. Climb to Inspiration Point for breathtaking views of Jackson Hole, explore the quirky nearby towns, or discover the best spots to hit the slopes during the winter season
- Strategies for getting to the parks and traveling between them, with suggestions on where to stop along the way to eat, rest, or explore
- Expert tips for hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking, and more, plus essential packing and health and safety information
- Detailed hike descriptions with individual trail maps, each marked by duration, elevation change, and more
- Valuable insight from Yellowstone expert and seasoned explorer Becky Lomax
- Honest advice on where to stay inside and outside the parks, including campgrounds, cabins, guest ranches, and resorts
- Up-to-date information on park fees, passes, and reservations
- Full-color photos and detailed maps of each national park
- Coverage of gateway cities and towns, including Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Red Lodge, Cody, Lander, and DuBois
- Recommendations for families, seniors, solo travelers, international visitors, travelers with disabilities, and traveling with pets
- Thorough background on the wildlife, weather, terrain, hazards and personal safety, and history
For more of the Rockies, check out Moon Montana & Wyoming, Moon Colorado, or Moon Idaho.
For full coverage of America's national parks, check out Moon USA National Parks: The Complete Guide to All 59 National Parks
|The Boys' Book Of Survival (How To Survive Anything, Anywhere)
Lowest new price: $8.61
Lowest used price: $1.69
List price: $12.99
Brand: Scholastic Inc. (COR)
Now you, too, can survive anything, anywhere!
Lost in the desert? Stuck in quicksand? Confronted by a man-eating tiger? Trapped at a school dance? Fear not, brave reader! With this essential survival guide, you'll find a way to get yourself out of every imaginable predicament, whether it's an avalanche or a zombie invasion!
How to survive anything all in one handy book! Inside you'll find out how to treat a snakebite, send an SOS message, track an animal, make a map, and build a ladder. Find out how to survive a school dance, a shopping trip with your mom, a pop quiz, and a shark attack!
Page 2 of 3058
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.