|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Powerful Writing Strategies for All Students
Lowest new price: $33.96
Lowest used price: $22.83
List price: $44.95
Author: Karen Harris Ed.D.
Brand: Karen R Harris
Finally—highly effective, field-tested lesson plans for the students in every elementary and middle school classroom who struggle with writing. The practical how-to follow-up to Graham and Harris's popular Writing Better,
this book is just what K–8 educators need to advance all students' writing skills, whether they have learning disabilities or just need extra help.
Teachers will get concise lesson plans they can use to easily supplement their existing writing curriculum. From 20 to 50 minutes each, the lessons
- address types of writing that are key to academic success, such as writing reports and constructing essays for standardized tests
- help with every phase of the writing process, from planning to revising
- reinforce new skills through group and individual practice
- ensure that improvements are sustained by teaching students critical self-regulation skills they can use independently
- support effective instruction with step-by-step guidelines and optional scripts for teachers
- engage students with mnemonic devices they'll immediately grasp and remember
- include fun photocopiable support materials, such as cue cards, picture prompts, sheets for graphing story parts, and charts for brainstorming and setting goals
Firmly grounded in the authors' Self-Regulated Strategy Development approach, which has been proven effective by 2 decades of research, these brief, powerful lessons will help transform struggling students into confident, skilled, and motivated writers.
- Powerful Writing Strategies for All Students
|Beating Them All! Thirty Days to a Magic Score on Any Elementary Literacy Instruction Exam for Teacher Certification
Lowest new price: $35.93
Lowest used price: $35.64
List price: $41.40
Author: Chris Nicholas Boosalis
Brand: Boosalis, Chris Nicholas
The Magic Score is a universal preparation manual that will assist test-takers across the country beat any elementary reading instruction exam ( National Evaluation Systems, Inc. (NES) exam) The strategies and methods presented in this text are research-based and will allow candidates pass the exams on their first attempt.
|The story of the world: Ancient times, from the earliest Nomads to the last Roman emperor history for the classical child, Vol. 1 (v. 1)
Lowest new price: $24.24
Lowest used price: $19.99
List price: $39.95
Author: Susan Wise Bauer
Brand: Peace Hill Press
History will never be the same again! This spirited reading of the first in Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World history series brings to life the stories and records of the peoples of ancient times.
Now more than ever, other countries and customs affect our everyday lives-and our children need to learn about the people who live all around the globe. Susan Wise Bauer has provided a captivating guide to the history of the ancient world. Written in an engaging, straightforward manner, The Story of the World weaves world history into a storybook format. This volume covers the major historical events from the beginning of civilization to the fall of the Roman Empire.
This Story of the World audiobook is a collaboration between Jim Weiss, whose voice has been described as “liquid gold” (CNN-TV), and Susan Wise Bauer, whose writing has been described as “timeless and intelligent” (Publishers Weekly). It may be used along with the print books (The Story of the World Volume 1 Text Book, Activity Book, and Tests; each sold separately), as a supplement to a traditional history curriculum, or independently. Approximately 8 hours on 7 audio CDs.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability (A First Look At...Series)
Lowest new price: $5.15
Lowest used price: $2.29
List price: $7.99
Author: Pat Thomas
Brand: Barron's Educational Series
This delightful picture book explores questions and concerns about physical disabilities in a simple and reassuring way. Younger children can find out about individual disabilities, special equipment that is available to help the disabled, and how people of all ages can deal with disabilities and live happy and full lives. Titles in this series for younger children explore emotional issues that boys and girls encounter as part of the growing-up process. Books are focused to appeal to kids of preschool through early school age. Written by psychotherapist and counselor Pat Thomas, A First Look At books promote positive interaction among children, parents, and teachers, and encourage kids to ask questions and confront social and emotional questions that sometimes present problems. Books feature appealing full-color illustrations on every page plus a page of advice to parents and teachers.
- Delightful picture book explores questions and concerns about physical disabilities
- Discover how people of all ages can deal with disabilities and live happy and full lives
- Written by psychotherapist and counselor Pat Thomas
- Preschool - 2. 32 pages
|Assessing Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students: A Practical Guide (The Guilford Practical Intervention in the Schools Series)
Lowest new price: $37.92
Lowest used price: $25.00
List price: $43.00
Author: Robert L. Rhodes
This is the first book to present a practical, problem-solving approach and hands-on tools and techniques for assessing English language learners and culturally diverse students in K-12 settings. It meets a crucial need among practitioners and special educators working in today's schools. Provided are research-based, step-by-step procedures for conducting effective interviews with students, parents, and teachers; making the best use of interpreters; addressing special issues in the prereferral process; and conducting accurate, unbiased assessments of academic achievement, intellectual functioning, language proficiency, and acculturation. Among the book's special features are reproducible worksheets, questionnaires, and checklists--including several in both English and Spanish--in a ready-to-use, large-size format.
This book is in The Guilford Practical Intervention in the Schools Series, edited by T. Chris Riley-Tillman.
- Assessing Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students A Practical Guide
|Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide
Lowest new price: $12.00
Lowest used price: $2.79
List price: $28.13
Author: Ralph Fletcher
Brand: Ralph Fletcher
Is the writing workshop the only way to teach writing? No. There are a variety of approaches or programs, but none of them matches the writing workshop when it comes to growing strong writers. That's why, despite the pressures of testing, the writing workshop has endured and even flourished in thousands of schools across the country.
Today we face a time when as many as ten million new teachers are entering the profession. It is for these teachers, and others who are unfamiliar with writing workshop, that Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi wrote this book - as a way to introduce and explain the writing workshop . . . to reveal what a potent tool the writing workshop can be for empowering young writers.
Above all Writing Workshop is a practical book, providing everything a teacher needs to get the writing workshop up and running. In clear language, Fletcher and Portalupi explain the simple principles that underlie the writing workshop and explore the major components that make it work. Each chapter addresses an essential element, then suggests five or six specific things a teacher can do to implement the idea under discussion. There's also a separate chapter entitled "What About Skills," which shows how to effectively teach skills in the context of writing. The book closes with practical forms in the appendixes to ensure that the workshop runs smoothly.
Fletcher and Portalupi's twenty-plus years working with teachers have convinced them that there is no better way to teach writing. This important book is the culmination of all their years of effort, a synthesis of their best thinking on the subject.
- Writing Workshop The Essential Guide From the authors of Craft Lessons
|Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
Lowest new price: $30.00
Lowest used price: $1.75
List price: $57.50
Author: Irene C. Fountas
Brand: Irene C Fountas
Authors Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell have already helped hundreds of thousands of K-3 teachers engage, inform, and inspire early readers and writers. Now, with Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6), Fountas and Pinnell support teachers on the next leg of the literacy journey, addressing the unique challenges of teaching upper elementary students.
The product of many years of work with classroom teachers, Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6) is one of the most comprehensive, authoritative guides available today. It explores all the essential components of a quality literacy program in six separate sections:
A special feature appears at the end of each section, in which Fountas and Pinnell provide indispensable suggestions for working with struggling readers and writers.
- Breakthrough to Literacy: Fountas and Pinnell present the basic structure of the language/literacy program within a breakthrough framework that encompasses the building of community through language, word study, reading, writing, and the visual arts. The framework plays out as three "blocks," which can be interpreted as conceptual units as well as segments of time within the school day. Specific information on how to structure a reading and writing workshop is provided. A practical chapter on organizing and managing the classroom will help you implement the principles in your own classroom.
- Independent Reading: It is essential for students to develop interests and tastes as readers, selecting books for themselves every day. Fountas and Pinnell devote four chapters to independent reading, exploring how to structure teaching, minilessons, conferences, groupshare, and ways to use response journals as part of a reading workshop.
- Guided Reading: The chapters in this section provide detailed information on planning for guided reading, dynamic grouping for effective teaching, and selecting, introducing, and using leveled texts. Fountas and Pinnell describe characteristics of texts related to difficulty and ways to organize texts in your classroom and school.
- Literature Study: This section of the book discusses how to make students' experiences with literature as rich as possible. The authors offer specific suggestions for forming groups, guiding student choices, and establishing and teaching routines for literature discussion. A full chapter explores reader response and ways to help readers dig deep to uncover the meaning of texts.
- Teaching for Comprehension and Word Analysis: This detailed look at the reading process explores both oral and silent reading, processes and behaviors related to comprehension, and ways to help students construct meaning. Included are twelve systems for sustaining the reading process and expanding meaning, plus discussions of the important areas of phonics, spelling, and vocabulary.
- The Reading and Writing Connection: These chapters showcase the instructional contexts - poetry, writer's notebooks, writer's talks, genre, content literacy, and student research - that support students in connected reading and writing. An informative overview of the characteristics of fiction and nonfiction will help you teach students to read and write a variety of genre. What's more, the authors suggest ways to help students learn the "genre" of testing and perform the kinds of reading and writing tasks that tests require. They also detail the continuous thoughtful assessment that guides all aspects of effective teaching.
- Guiding Readers and Writers Grades 3 6 Teaching Comprehension Genre and Content Literacy
|Mastering the Fire Service Assessment Center
Lowest new price: $49.11
Lowest used price: $40.00
List price: $59.00
Author: Anthony Kastros
This book identifies the key knowledge, skills and abilities required for success in the assessment center promotional process. Assessment centers are widely used by fire departments throughout the country. Unfortunately, many candidates fail to prepare for the test by failing to prepare for the position they seek. Whether aspiring to be a Lieutenant, Captain, Battalion Chief or above, this book gives the reader the tools to establish a personal plan for success in the test and in the position. This book is written in a humorous, matter-of-fact style that makes it easy to understand and retain. The reader is taught to truly prepare for the position and make the mental paradigm shift from test candidate to incumbent officer, which is a very unique and effective method. The book provides the reader with the tools needed to create his/her own plan for success. A personal self-assessment helps the aspiring officer evaluate his/her current status and leadership style. This baseline provides the foundation to get the reader asking questions about real-world scenarios that are mimicked in the testing arena.
Features & benefits:
* Gain a better understanding of what an assessment center is
* Contains test exercises, sample problems, rating criteria, scoring sheets, assessor selection and common pitfalls
* Learn the 27 knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) spanning the 3 dimensions of leadership, management and emergency scene operations
*Gain an in-depth understanding of how to develop their KSAs to succeed in the test and the position
|My Family's Changing (A First Look At Series)
Lowest new price: $4.94
Lowest used price: $1.25
List price: $7.99
Author: Pat Thomas
Brand: Barron's Educational Series
This unusual picture book for younger children explores the issue of divorce. The author of this book is a psychotherapist and counselor and helps children to face their fears, worries and questions when their family is going through a break-up. A special feature, "What About You?" sidebars appear frequently with questions directed at the child reading the book. The questions encourage children to explore their own feeling about the situation. Full color illustrations throughout.
|Tools of the Mind: The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education (2nd Edition)
Lowest new price: $35.87
Lowest used price: $7.48
List price: $47.60
Author: Elena Bodrova
Brand: Elena Bodrova
As the only text of its kind, this book provides in-depth information about Vygotsky's theories, neo-Vygotskians' findings, and concrete explanations and strategies that instruct teachers how to influence student learning and development. Key changes to this edition include a new chapter on dynamic assessment, separate and expanded chapters on developmental accomplishments of infants and toddlers, preschool/kindergarten, and primary grades and on supporting those accomplishments, and elaborations of Vygotsky's ideas from neo-Vygotskians from Russia.
Written for the beginning student, the book provides a clear discussion of Vygotskian principles including...a historical overview and a complete chapter on the “Zone of Proximal Development,” (ZPD). Each section of the book builds on the other...framework, strategies, and applications of the Vygotskian approach. The work of Vygotsky is compared in a fair and balanced way with the work of Piaget. Examples and activities have been class-tested in a variety of classroom environments including a Head Start program, private preschool, and in the Denver Public Schools.
- Tools of the Mind The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education 2nd Edition
Page 4 of 1046
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.