|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses
Lowest new price: $21.99
Lowest used price: $21.98
List price: $35.00
Author: Richard Jones
Brand: Jones, Richard/ Sweeney-lynch, Sharon
The Beekeeper’s Bible is as much an ultimate guide to the practical essentials of beekeeping as it is a beautiful almanac to be read from cover to cover. Part history book, part handbook, and part cookbook, this illustrated tome covers every facet of the ancient hobby of beekeeping, from how to manage hives safely to harvesting one's own honey, and ideas for how to use honey and beeswax. Detailed instructions for making candles, furniture polish, beauty products, and nearly 100 honey-themed recipes are included. Fully illustrated with how-to photography and unique etchings, any backyard enthusiast or gardener can confidently dive into beekeeping with this book in hand (or daydream about harvesting their own honey while relaxing in the comfort of an armchair).
Praise for The Beekeeper's Bible:
"Jones and Sweeney-Lynch explain the science and society of bees in clear, accessible language. And the recipes are admirably useful: honey scones, honey soap, honey hangover cures. 'Oh, stuff and fluff,' as Pooh might say. Dip a paw into this richly satisfying volume and you won't have to do stoutness exercises."
-The New York Times
“Lip-smackin’ throughout, The Beekeeper's Bible is, at its heart, a glorious invitation into the depths of the honeybee hive.” —Chicago Tribune
"An elegant, information-packed addition to the library of the most serious beekeeper." —Better Homes & Gardens Country Gardens
“An amazing compendium of information, lore, facts, tips, techniques, and benefits of having bees in your life—whether you choose to keep a hive yourself, enjoy the by-products, or just appreciate these wonderful creatures for all that they contribute to our human ecosystem.”
- Beautiful hardcover
- 412 pages
- Extensive Index
|Backyard Beekeeper - Revised and Updated: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
Lowest new price: $14.80
Lowest used price: $14.09
List price: $24.99
Author: Kim Flottum
Brand: Kim Flottum
Invite bees into your backyard to help out with pollinating the garden, provide crafting materials, or just help the Earth with The Backyard Beekeeper - Revised and Updated
The Backyard Beekeeper, now revised and expanded, makes the time-honored and complex tradition of beekeeping an enjoyable and accessible backyard pastime that will appeal to gardeners, crafters, and cooks everywhere. This expanded edition gives you even more information on "greening" your beekeeping with sustainable practices, pesticide-resistant bees, and urban and suburban beekeeping.
More than a guide to beekeeping, it is a handbook for harvesting the products of a beehive and a honey cookbook--all in one lively, beautifully illustrated reference. This complete honey bee resource contains general information on bees; a how-to guide to the art of bee keeping and how to set up, care for, and harvest honey from your own colonies; as well as tons of bee-related facts and projects.
You'll learn the best place to locate your new bee colonies for their safety and yours, and you'll study the best organic and nontoxic ways to care for your bees, from providing fresh water and protection from the elements to keeping them healthy, happy, and productive. Recipes of delicious treats, and instructions on how to use honey and beeswax to make candles and beauty treatments are also included.
- Backyard Beekeeper Revised and Updated An Absolute Beginner s Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
|The Julia Rothman Collection: Farm Anatomy, Nature Anatomy, and Food Anatomy
Lowest new price: $26.06
Lowest used price: $29.40
List price: $50.00
Author: Julia Rothman
Brand: Rothman Julia
This handsome box set provides hours of enlightening entertainment for those curious about farm life, the natural world, and food. Best-selling author and illustrator Julia Rothman presents Farm Anatomy, Nature Anatomy, and Food Anatomy in a specially designed slipcase with 10 framable prints. Rothman’s popular line drawings offer a whimsical and educational guide to life on a farm, nature’s hidden wonders, and delectable tidbits from kitchens and pantries around the globe.
- The Julia Rothman Collection Farm Anatomy Nature Anatomy and Food Anatomy
|The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
Lowest new price: $14.23
Lowest used price: $11.48
List price: $22.95
Author: Samuel Thayer
Brand: Samuel Thayer
A guide to 32 of the best and most common edible wild plants in North America, with detailed information on how to identify them, where they are found, how and when they are harvested, which parts are used, how they are prepared, as well as their culinary use, ecology, conservation, and cultural history.
- Winner of the 2006 Midwest Book Award!
- 218 color photos, demonstrating each edible part in the proper stage of harvest, plus showing important identifying features
- Step-by-step tutorial to positive plant identification
- Photos and text comparing potentially confusing plants
- Thorough discussion on how to gather and use the plants
|Your Successful Farm Business: Production, Profit, Pleasure
Lowest new price: $21.66
Lowest used price: $16.00
List price: $30.00
Author: Joel Salatin
Twenty years ago Joel Salatin wrote You Can Farm, which has launched thousands of farm entrepreneurs around the world. With another 20 years of experience under his belt, bringing him to the half-century mark as a full-time farmer, he decided to build on that foundation with a sequel, a graduate level curriculum.
Everyone who reads and enjoys that previous work will benefit from this additional information. In those 20 years, Polyface Farm progressed from a small family operation to a 20-person, 6,000-customer, 50-restaurant business, all without sales targets, government grants, or an off-farm nest egg.
As a germination tray for new farmers ready to take over the 50 percent of America's agricultural equity that will become available over the next two decades, Polyface Farm in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley stands as a beacon of hope in a food and farming system floundering in dysfunction: toxicity, pathogenicity, nutrient deficiency, bankruptcy, geezers, and erosion. Speaking into that fear and confusion, Salatin offers a pathway to success, with production, profit, and pleasure thrown in for good measure.
|The Beginner's Guide to Cheese Making: Easy Recipes and Lessons to Make Your Own Handcrafted Cheeses
Lowest new price: $9.00
Lowest used price: $8.00
List price: $15.99
Author: Elena R. Santogade
Cheese Lovers Everywhere will Enjoy the Ease and Simplicity of this Essential Beginner's Resource for Cheese Making at Home.
Say you love cheese and anyone within earshot will agree, because from Ricotta to Havarti and Gouda to Brie, cheese is quite simply amazing. But when it comes to making your own, it can be trickier than you’d think to get started.
Lifetime cheese lover Elena Santogade felt this way when she taught herself about cheese making in her Brooklyn kitchen more than 10 years ago. As her hobby gained steam, Elena started running cheese making classes out of her apartment. Now, a full-time cheese professional, Elena has dedicated herself to creating cheese making recipes specifically with the beginner in mind.
Elena’s first-hand knowledge of the pitfalls and successes of a beginner cheese maker has armed her with the tried and true knowledge you’ll find in The Beginner’s Guide to Cheese Making. With the easy, step-by-step cheese making recipes specifically designed for beginners, you’ll be making the fresh, tasty cheeses that you love so much in no time.
- A brief introduction to the craft of cheese making offers answers to all of your cheese uncertainties such as: Goat’s milk or cow’s milk? What equipment do I need? Which cheese to make first?
- Quick start tutorials offer a crash course in cheesemaking best practices and techniques so you develop boast-worthy cheese making habits from the very start.
- Tailored step-by-step make sheets help you track your cheese making process, ensuring your skills improve with every cheese you craft.
- Easy-to-follow instructions for more than 45 recipes will help you make everything from soft cheeses to hard, and nut spreads to your very own ferments.
Learning any new skill can feel tricky at times, but The Beginner’s Guide to Cheese Making sets you up for success early on so you can make the Havarti, Mozzarella, and Feta you’ve always dreamed of.
- Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Homemade Cheeses
- One-Hour Cheese: Ricotta, Mozzarella, Chèvre, Paneer--Even Burrata. Fresh and Simple Cheeses You Can Make in an Hour or Less!
- Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
- Standing Stone Farms Ultimate Cheese Making Kit
- The Complete Guide to Making Cheese, Butter, and Yogurt at Home: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply Revised 2nd Edition (Back to Basics)
- Basic Cheese Mold
- Mastering Basic Cheesemaking: The Fun and Fundamentals of Making Cheese at Home
- Supreme Cheese Making Kit and Dvd
- Standing Stone Farms Basic Beginner Cheese Making Kit - Mozzarella, Burrata, Burricota, Chevre, Ricotta, Mascarpone & Butter!
- Thermophilic Direct Set Cheese Culture, 5-Pack
|From Vines to Wines, 5th Edition: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine
Lowest new price: $10.83
Lowest used price: $10.83
List price: $18.95
Author: Jeff Cox
Brand: Cox Jeff
From planting vines to savoring the finished product, Jeff Cox covers every aspect of growing flawless grapes and making extraordinary wine. Fully illustrated instructions show you how to choose and prepare a vineyard site; build trellising systems; select, plant, prune, and harvest the right grapes for your climate; press, ferment, and bottle wine; and judge wine for clarity, color, aroma, and taste. With information on making sparkling wines, ice wines, port-style wines, and more, this comprehensive guide is an essential resource for every winemaker.
- From Vines to Wines 5th Edition The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine
|The Chicken Encyclopedia: An Illustrated Reference
Lowest new price: $9.51
Lowest used price: $4.35
List price: $19.95
Author: Gail Damerow
From addled to wind egg and crossed beak to zygote, the terminology of everything chicken is demystified in The Chicken Encyclopedia. Complete with breed descriptions, common medical concerns, and plenty of chicken trivia, this illustrated A-to-Z reference guide is both informative and entertaining. Covering tail types, breeding, molting, communication, and much more, Gail Damerow provides answers to all of your chicken questions and quandaries. Even seasoned chicken farmers are sure to discover new information about the multifaceted world of these fascinating birds.
- Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds: Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Emus, Guinea Fowl, Ostriches, Partridges, Peafowl, Pheasants, Quails, Swans
- The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition: A Complete Guide to Maximizing Flock Health and Dealing with Disease
- Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, 3rd Edition
- How to Speak Chicken: Why Your Chickens Do What They Do & Say What They Say
- Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks: Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Guinea Fowl
- Fresh Eggs Daily: Raising Happy, Healthy Chickens...Naturally
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Poultry Breeds: An Illustrated Directory Of Over 100 Chickens, Ducks, Geese And Turkeys, With 275 Photographs
- Poultry Breeds: Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys: The Pocket Guide to 104 Essential Breeds
- Backyard Chickens Beyond the Basics: Lessons for Expanding Your Flock, Understanding Chicken Behavior, Keeping a Rooster, Adjusting for the Seasons, Staying Healthy, and More!
- The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything You Need to Know . . . and Didn't Know You Needed to Know About Backyard and Urban Chickens
|The Bio-Integrated Farm: A Revolutionary Permaculture-Based System Using Greenhouses, Ponds, Compost Piles, Aquaponics, Chickens, and More
Lowest new price: $23.31
Lowest used price: $30.14
List price: $39.95
Author: Shawn Jadrnicek
Brand: Shawn Jadrnicek Stephanie Jadrnicek
The Bio-Integrated Farm is a twenty-first-century manual for managing nature’s resources. This groundbreaking book brings “system farming” and permaculture to a whole new level. Author Shawn Jadrnicek presents new insights into permaculture, moving beyond the philosophical foundation to practical advanced designs based on a functional analysis. Holding his designs to a higher standard, Jadrnicek’s components serve at least seven functions (classical permaculture theory only seeks at least two functions). With every additional function a component performs, the design becomes more advanced and saves more energy.
A bio-integrated greenhouse, for example, doesn’t just extend the season for growing vegetables; it also serves as a rainwater collector, a pond site, an aquaponics system, and a heat generator. Jadrnicek’s prevalent theme is using water to do the work. Although applicable in many climates, his designs are particularly important for areas coping with water scarcity.
Jadrnicek focuses on his experience as farm manager at the Clemson University Student Organic Farm and at his residence in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. These locations lie at the cooler northern edge of a humid subtropical climate that extends west to the middle of Texas and north along the coast to New Jersey. He has created permaculture patterns ranging from raising transplants and field design to freshwater prawn production and composting. These patterns have simplified the operation of the 125-share CSA farm while reducing reliance on outside resources. In less time than it takes to mow his two-acre homestead, Jadrnicek is building a you-pick fruit farm using permaculture patterns. His landscape requires only the labor of harvesting, and the only outside input he buys is a small amount of chicken feed. By carefully engaging the free forces of nature―water, wind, sunlight, convection, gravity, and decomposition―Jadrnicek creates sustenance without maintenance and transforms waste into valuable farm resources.
The Bio-Integrated Farm offers in-depth information about designing and building a wide range of bio-integrated projects including reflecting ponds, water-storage ponds, multipurpose basins, greenhouses, compost heat extraction, pastured chicken systems, aquaculture, hydroponics, hydronic heating, water filtration and aeration, cover cropping, and innovative rainwater-harvesting systems that supply water for drip irrigation and flushing toilets.
|Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle, 3rd Edition
Lowest new price: $9.66
Lowest used price: $6.49
List price: $19.95
Author: Heather Smith Thomas
Brand: Storey Publishing
Whether you’re raising one cow or a herd, this comprehensive guide shows you everything you need to know to successfully manage your beef cattle operation. Heather Smith Thomas stresses the importance of understanding bovine behavior while covering breed selection, calving, feeding, housing, medical care, and humane slaughter practices. Along with in-depth information on raising grass-fed animals and dealing with toxic pasture plants, you’ll also find advice on creating a viable business plan and identifying niche markets for your beef.
- Storey s Guide to Raising Beef Cattle
- The Cattle Health Handbook
- Raising Beef Cattle For Dummies
- Grass-Fed Cattle: How to Produce and Market Natural Beef
- Essential Guide to Calving: Giving Your Beef or Dairy Herd a Healthy Start
- Small-Scale Livestock Farming: A Grass-Based Approach for Health, Sustainability, and Profit
- Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs, 3rd Edition: Care, Facilities, Management, Breeds
- Beef Cattle: Keeping a Small-Scale Herd for Pleasure and Profit (Hobby Farm)
- Storey's Guide to Raising Meat Goats, 2nd Edition: Managing, Breeding, Marketing
- Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep, 4th Edition: Breeding, Care, Facilities
- Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, 3rd Edition
Page 1 of 2955
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.