|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|The Bucket List: 1000 Adventures Big & Small
Lowest new price: $27.79
Lowest used price: $22.41
List price: $35.00
With 1,000 adventures for all ages, it’s never too soon or too late to begin the things you’ve only dreamed of doing.
We all have things we’d like to do—one day—but work, family, school, money, and responsibilities get in the way. This invaluable guide to fun, fantastic, and life-affirming activities features an eclectic range of ideas such as self-improvement, sports-related endeavors, natural wonders, cultural experiences, culinary delights, and more. From glassblowing in the Czech Republic to swimming with dolphins in New Zealand, The Bucket List is the perfect gift for the passionate traveler—an around-the-world, continent-by-continent listing of beaches, museums, monuments, islands, inns, restaurants, mountains, and more.
Each activity is location-specific and as geographically unique as bird-watching in Kenya or driving through clouds in Sri Lanka, as well as other to-dos that can be done anywhere, such as sketching a sunset behind an architectural monument. In addition to classic outdoor pursuits, the book contains advice on how to achieve some of the most popular goals for people of all ages: direct a movie, learn to play an instrument, make pottery, protect an endangered species, name a star, try a new cuisine, or learn a new language. Whether you are more active or laid-back, serious-minded or lighthearted, you are bound to discover new, stimulating activities.
- Destinations of a Lifetime: 225 of the World's Most Amazing Places
- 50 States, 5,000 Ideas: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See, What to Do
- Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
- Ultimate Journeys for Two: Extraordinary Destinations on Every Continent
- Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
- The Bucket List: Wild: 1,000 Adventures Big and Small: Animals, Birds, Fish, Nature
- Our Bucket List: A Creative and Inspirational Journal for Ideas and Adventures for Couples
- 100 Photographs: The Most Influential Images of All Time
- The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Lonely Planet)
- Lonely Planet's Ultimate Travel: Our List of the 500 Best Places to See... Ranked
|Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
Lowest new price: $9.44
Lowest used price: $9.19
List price: $16.99
Author: Dave Canterbury
Brand: Adams Media
A New York Times Bestseller in Sports and Travel!
The ultimate resource for experiencing the backcountry!
Written by survivalist expert Dave Canterbury, Bushcraft 101 gets you ready for your next backcountry trip with advice on making the most of your time outdoors. Based on the 5Cs of Survivability--cutting tools, covering, combustion devices, containers, and cordages--this valuable guide offers only the most important survival skills to help you craft resources from your surroundings and truly experience the beauty and thrill of the wilderness. Inside, you'll also discover detailed information on:
With Canterbury's guidance, you'll not only prepare yourself for any climate and situation, you'll also learn how to use the art of bushcraft to reconnect with nature in ways you've never imagined.
- Choosing the right items for your kit.
- Manufacturing needed tools and supplies.
- Collecting and cooking food.
- Protecting yourself from the elements.
- Bushcraft 101 A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
- Advanced Bushcraft: An Expert Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
- The Bushcraft Field Guide to Trapping, Gathering, and Cooking in the Wild
- Bushcraft First Aid: A Field Guide to Wilderness Emergency Care
- Survival Hacks: Over 200 Ways to Use Everyday Items for Wilderness Survival
- Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods
- Survival Gear Kits 13 in 1- Outdoor Emergency SOS Survive Tool for Wilderness/Trip/Cars/Hiking/Camping gear - Wire Saw, Emergency Blanket, Flashlight, Tactical Pen, Water Bottle Clip ect,
- Survival Medicine & First Aid: The Leading Prepper's Guide to Survive Medical Emergencies in Tough Survival Situations
- SAS Survival Handbook, Third Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Anywhere
- Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties: The Classic Guide to Building Wilderness Shelters (Dover Books on Architecture)
- ATOMIC BEAR Paracord Bracelet (2 Pack) – Adjustable Size – Fire Starter – Loud Whistle – Emergency Knife – Perfect for Hiking, Camping, Fishing and Hunting – Black & Black+Orange
|The Big Fella: Babe Ruth and the World He Created
Lowest new price: $10.00
Lowest used price: $17.54
List price: $32.50
Author: Jane Leavy
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • From Jane Leavy, the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of The Last Boy and Sandy Koufax, comes the definitive biography of Babe Ruth—the man Roger Angell dubbed "the model for modern celebrity."
A Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2018 | A Newsweek Best Book of 2018
“Leavy’s newest masterpiece…. A major work of American history by an author with a flair for mesmerizing story-telling.” —Forbes
He lived in the present tense—in the camera’s lens. There was no frame he couldn’t or wouldn’t fill. He swung the heaviest bat, earned the most money, and incurred the biggest fines. Like all the new-fangled gadgets then flooding the marketplace—radios, automatic clothes washers, Brownie cameras, microphones and loudspeakers—Babe Ruth "made impossible events happen." Aided by his crucial partnership with Christy Walsh—business manager, spin doctor, damage control wizard, and surrogate father, all stuffed into one tightly buttoned double-breasted suit—Ruth drafted the blueprint for modern athletic stardom.
His was a life of journeys and itineraries—from uncouth to couth, spartan to spendthrift, abandoned to abandon; from Baltimore to Boston to New York, and back to Boston at the end of his career for a finale with the only team that would have him. There were road trips and hunting trips; grand tours of foreign capitals and post-season promotional tours, not to mention those 714 trips around the bases.
After hitting his 60th home run in September 1927—a total that would not be exceeded until 1961, when Roger Maris did it with the aid of the extended modern season—he embarked on the mother of all barnstorming tours, a three-week victory lap across America, accompanied by Yankee teammate Lou Gehrig. Walsh called the tour a "Symphony of Swat." The Omaha World Herald called it "the biggest show since Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey, and seven other associated circuses offered their entire performance under one tent." In The Big Fella, acclaimed biographer Jane Leavy recreates that 21-day circus and in so doing captures the romp and the pathos that defined Ruth’s life and times.
Drawing from more than 250 interviews, a trove of previously untapped documents, and Ruth family records, Leavy breaks through the mythology that has obscured the legend and delivers the man.
|Moon USA National Parks: The Complete Guide to All 59 Parks (Travel Guide)
Lowest new price: $16.04
Lowest used price: $16.22
List price: $24.99
Author: Becky Lomax
They've been dubbed America's best idea for a reason: get inspired, get outdoors, and discover the wild beauty of the United States with Moon USA National Parks. Inside you'll find:
Whether you're trekking to striking vistas, rafting a wild river, or camping under the stars, find your park adventure with Moon USA National Parks.
- Coverage of all 59 national parks, from the misty mountains of the east and the redwoods of the west, to the glaciers of Alaska and volcanoes of Hawaii, organized by region
- Strategic lists and itineraries: Choose from lists of the best parks for hiking, wildlife, families, and scenic drives, or make your way down the list of the top ten national parks experiences across the country
- The best outdoor adventures in every park, including backpacking, biking, mountain climbing, kayaking, rafting, and more, plus detailed hike descriptions and trail maps marked with distance, duration, effort level, and trailheads
- National parks road trips with driving times and advice for linking multiple parks, interesting stops between them, and nearby attractions and state parks
- Comprehensive planning resources: With detailed maps and transportation tips, you'll have the tools to explore each park or region individually, or visit multiple for an epic national parks trip
- Expert advice from former park guide Becky Lomax on how to avoid crowds, what time of year to visit, and where to stay inside and outside the parks, from campgrounds to hotels
- Know before you go: Find essential background on climate, terrain, wildlife, history, and safety precautions, plus practical information on park fees, passes, and reservations, including how to obtain and use a National Parks Pass
- Gorgeous, full-color photos throughout, plus a handy keepsake section for your national parks stamps and a detachable fold-out poster map
For more in-depth information on a specific park, check out Moon's national parks travel guides.
|The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 2: Small Game and Fowl
Lowest new price: $21.20
Lowest used price: $21.74
List price: $28.00
Author: Steven Rinella
Brand: Spiegel Grau
A comprehensive small-game hunting guide, the perfect holiday gift for hunters ranging from first-time novices to seasoned experts, with photography by renowned outdoor photographer John Hafner
Steven Rinella was raised in a hunting family and has been pursuing wild game his entire life. In this first-ever complete guide to hunting—from hunting wild game to butchering and cooking it—the host of the popular hunting show MeatEater shares his own expertise with us, and imparts strategies and tactics from many of the most experienced hunters in the United States as well.
This invaluable book includes
• recommendations on what equipment you will need—and what you can do without—from footwear to cutlery to camping gear to weapons
• basic and advanced hunting strategies for all North American small game, including drive techniques, solo and group hunting, ambush hunting, the use of hunting dogs, and techniques for decoying and calling
• how to find hunting locations, on both public and private land; how to locate areas that other hunters aren’t using; and how to make competition work in your favor
• detailed sections on furred small game, upland birds, and waterfowl, covering the biology and best hunting methods for a total of thirty small game species
• comprehensive information about hunting wild turkeys in both the spring and fall seasons
• how to master the arts of wingshooting and rifle marksmanship, and detailed information about shot placement, ammunition selection, and field maintenance of firearms and archery equipment
• instructions on how to field dress and butcher your own small game animals for a variety of preparations
• techniques and recipes for both indoor and outdoor wild game cooking
- The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game
- The MeatEater Fish and Game Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for Every Hunter and Angler
- Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter
- The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine: How I Spent a Year in the American Wild to Re-create a Feast from the Classic Recipes of French Master Chef Auguste Escoffier
- American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon
- The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine
- Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast
- Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail: Upland Birds and Small Game from Field to Feast
- The Hunter's Guide to Butchering, Smoking, and Curing Wild Game and Fish
- Duck, Duck, Goose: The Ultimate Guide to Cooking Waterfowl, Both Farmed and Wild
|Journeys of a Lifetime, Second Edition: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
Lowest new price: $20.00
Lowest used price: $25.22
List price: $40.00
Author: National Geographic
Featuring 120 new destinations, this best-selling inspirational travel guide reveals 500 celebrated and lesser-known destinations around the globe, from ocean cruises in Antarctica to horse treks in the Andes. Completely revised and updated for its 10th anniversary.
Compiled from the favorite trips of National Geographic's legendary travel writers, this fully updated, 10th anniversary edition of Journeys of a Lifetime spans the globe to highlight the best of the world's most celebrated and lesser-known sojourns. Offering a diverse array of possibilities, every continent and possible form of transport is covered, illustrated with glorious color photographs. With 16 new pages; new destinations like Cartegena, Colombia; and updated information throughout, this timely new edition is the perfect resource for travelers who crave adventurous trips--from trekking the heights of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania to mountain biking in Transylvania--and those searching for more specific experiences (the world's top small cruises, hot new museums around the world, secrets for following in the footsteps of film and TV heroes, and more). Each chapter features stunning photography, full-color maps, and practical tips, including how to get there, when to visit, and how to make the most of your journey.
Informative and inspiring, this luxurious volume is a lifelong resource that readers will treasure for years to come.
|The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals―and Other Forgotten Skills (Natural Navigation)
Lowest new price: $5.00
Lowest used price: $8.49
List price: $16.95
Author: Tristan Gooley
Brand: Gooley Tristan
Turn Every Walk into a Game of Detection
When writer and navigator Tristan Gooley journeys outside, he sees a natural world filled with clues. The roots of a tree indicate the sun’s direction; the Big Dipper tells the time; a passing butterfly hints at the weather; a sand dune reveals prevailing wind; the scent of cinnamon suggests altitude; a budding flower points south. To help you understand nature as he does, Gooley shares more than 850 tips for forecasting, tracking, and more, gathered from decades spent walking the landscape around his home and around the world. Whether you’re walking in the country or city, along a coastline, or by night, this is the ultimate resource on what the land, sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and clouds can reveal—if you only know how to look!
- The Lost Art of Reading Nature s Signs Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way Predict the Weather Locate Water Track Animals and Other Forgotten Skills
|Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike
Lowest new price: $11.83
Lowest used price: $6.33
List price: $20.00
Author: Phil Knight
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
In this instant and tenacious bestseller, Nike founder and board chairman Phil Knight “offers a rare and revealing look at the notoriously media-shy man behind the swoosh” (Booklist, starred review), illuminating his company’s early days as an intrepid start-up and its evolution into one of the world’s most iconic, game-changing, and profitable brands.
Bill Gates named Shoe Dog one of his five favorite books of 2016 and called it “an amazing tale, a refreshingly honest reminder of what the path to business success really looks like. It’s a messy, perilous, and chaotic journey, riddled with mistakes, endless struggles, and sacrifice. Phil Knight opens up in ways few CEOs are willing to do.”
Fresh out of business school, Phil Knight borrowed fifty dollars from his father and launched a company with one simple mission: import high-quality, low-cost running shoes from Japan. Selling the shoes from the trunk of his car in 1963, Knight grossed eight thousand dollars that first year. Today, Nike’s annual sales top $30 billion. In this age of start-ups, Knight’s Nike is the gold standard, and its swoosh is one of the few icons instantly recognized in every corner of the world.
But Knight, the man behind the swoosh, has always been a mystery. In Shoe Dog, he tells his story at last. At twenty-four, Knight decides that rather than work for a big corporation, he will create something all his own, new, dynamic, different. He details the many risks he encountered, the crushing setbacks, the ruthless competitors and hostile bankers—as well as his many thrilling triumphs. Above all, he recalls the relationships that formed the heart and soul of Nike, with his former track coach, the irascible and charismatic Bill Bowerman, and with his first employees, a ragtag group of misfits and savants who quickly became a band of swoosh-crazed brothers.
Together, harnessing the electrifying power of a bold vision and a shared belief in the transformative power of sports, they created a brand—and a culture—that changed everything.
|The Incomplete Book of Running
Lowest new price: $14.99
Lowest used price: $10.50
List price: $27.00
Author: Peter Sagal
“Sagal has created a new genre—the five-minute-mile memoir. Combining commentary and reflection about running with a deeply felt personal story, this book is winning, smart, honest, and affecting. Whether you are a runner or not, it will move you.” —Susan Orlean
In the midpoint of life, I found myself lost, in a dark place. So I tried to figure out exactly how many miles I had run to get there...
So begins The Incomplete Book of Running, a funny, wise, and powerful meditation about running and life from Peter Sagal, longtime columnist for Runner’s World and the host of NPR’s Wait Wait...Don’t Tell Me!, that shares stories, advice, and warnings he’s learned over his long and checkered career on the pavement.
Just before turning forty, Sagal—brainiac Harvard grad, short bald Jew with a disposition toward heft, and sedentary star of public radio who had exercised sporadically as a teenager—started running seriously. A decade later, what began as a simple mission to keep himself healthy had evolved into fourteen marathon finishes—including one in Boston in 2013, where he crossed the line only moments before two bombs went off—and tens of thousands of miles on roads, sidewalks, paths, and trails all over the United States and the world. Running was an important part of his life, but it wasn’t until he experienced a personal crisis that he realized it had become a mode of survival.
In these pages, Sagal writes with humor and insight about the moments that have changed the way he sees the relationship between life and sport—from running a charity race in his underwear (in St. Louis, in February) and attempting to “quiet his colon” while taking a lap in his neighborhood to volunteering as a guide for visually impaired runners, causing a scandal by sneaking onto a course midrace, and making his triumphant post-bombing return to Boston in 2014. He also dives deep into the emotional experience of running, body image, the similarities between endurance sports and sadomasochism, the legacy of the sport as passed down from parent and child, and the odd but extraordinary bonds created among strangers and friends sharing the road. As time goes on and his mileage increases, he realizes that the only way to overcome obstacles is simply to keep running through them.
Candid, clear-eyed, and frequently hilarious, The Incomplete Book of Running is about more than just a man and a sport. It is a field guide to life, a collection of lessons centered around all those things that keep us moving forward: hope, persistence, practice, and love.
|The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
Lowest new price: $9.63
Lowest used price: $1.51
List price: $17.00
Author: Daniel James Brown
Brand: Brown, Daniel James
The #1 New York Times–bestselling story about American Olympic triumph in Nazi Germany and now the inspiration for the PBS documentary “The Boys of ‘36”—a perfect gift to give this holiday season
For readers of Unbroken, out of the depths of the Depression comes an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate account of how nine working-class boys from the American West showed the world at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin what true grit really meant.
It was an unlikely quest from the start. With a team composed of the sons of loggers, shipyard workers, and farmers, the University of Washington’s eight-oar crew team was never expected to defeat the elite teams of the East Coast and Great Britain, yet they did, going on to shock the world by defeating the German team rowing for Adolf Hitler. The emotional heart of the tale lies with Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not only to regain his shattered self-regard but also to find a real place for himself in the world. Drawing on the boys’ own journals and vivid memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, Brown has created an unforgettable portrait of an era, a celebration of a remarkable achievement, and a chronicle of one extraordinary young man’s personal quest.
- The Boys in the Boat Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
Page 2 of 8288
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.