|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|CompTIA Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification
Lowest new price: $78.09
Lowest used price: $72.95
List price: $265.95
Author: Jason Eckert
Brand: Cengage Learning
Equip yourself with the most up-to-date information to pass CompTIA's Linux+ (Powered by LPI) Certification exam successfully and excel when using Linux in today's business world with Eckert's LINUX+ GUIDE TO LINUX CERTIFICATION, 4E. This complete guide provides the solid conceptual foundation and mastery of hands-on skills necessary to work with the Linux operation system in today's network administration environment. You'll find a focus on quality throughout with an emphasis on preparing you for valuable real-world experiences. This edition's comprehensive coverage presents updated information on the latest Linux distributions as well as storage technologies commonly used in server environments, such as LVM and ZFS. New, expanded material addresses key job-related networking services, including FTP, NFS, Samba, Apache, DNS, DHCP, NTP, Squid, Postfix, SSH, VNC, Postgresql, and iptables/firewalld. You study the latest information on current and emerging security practices and technologies. Hands-On Projects help you practice new skills using both Fedora™ 20 and Ubuntu Server 14.04 Linux, while review questions and key terms reinforce important concepts. Trust LINUX+ GUIDE TO LINUX CERTIFICATION, 4E for success on the certification exam and your career beyond.
Lowest new price: $30.03
Lowest used price: $23.99
List price: $50.00
Author: Christopher Negus
Brand: Negus Christopher
The industry favorite Linux guide, updated for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and the cloud
Linux Bible, 9th Edition is the ultimate hands-on Linux user guide, whether you're a true beginner or a more advanced user navigating recent changes. This updated ninth edition covers the latest versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (RHEL 7), Fedora 21, and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and includes new information on cloud computing and development with guidance on Openstack and Cloudforms. With a focus on RHEL 7, this practical guide gets you up to speed quickly on the new enhancements for enterprise-quality file systems, the new boot process and services management, firewalld, and the GNOME 3 desktop. Written by a Red Hat expert, this book provides the clear explanations and step-by-step instructions that demystify Linux and bring the new features seamlessly into your workflow.
This useful guide assumes a base of little or no Linux knowledge, and takes you step by step through what you need to know to get the job done.
- Get Linux up and running quickly
- Master basic operations and tackle more advanced tasks
- Get up to date on the recent changes to Linux server system management
- Bring Linux to the cloud using Openstack and Cloudforms
Linux Bible, 9th Edition is the one resource you need, and provides the hands-on training that gets you on track in a flash.
|RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams EX200 & EX300)
Lowest new price: $30.32
Lowest used price: $24.81
List price: $60.00
Author: Michael Jang
Based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, the new edition of this bestselling study guide covers the updated Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) exams.
RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide, 7th Edition is fully revised to cover the recently released Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and the corresponding RHCSA and RHCE certification exams. This new edition provides complete coverage of all official exam objectives for the new exams.
An integrated study system based on proven pedagogy, this revised bestseller features special elements that reinforce and teach practical skills while preparing candidates for the exam. Each chapter includes step-by-step exercises, Exam Watch and On-the-Job sidebars, Two-Minute Drills, end-of-chapter self tests, and hands-on lab questions. Electronic content includes four complete lab-based practice exams to ensure you’re ready to sit for the live exams.
- Complete coverage of all exam objectives and performance-based requirements related to the exams, including difficult lab-based scenarios
- Electronic content includes four complete lab-based practice exams, two for RHCSA and two for RHCE
- A proven study system for RHCSA and RHCE candidates
|Mastering Linux Security and Hardening: Secure your Linux server and protect it from intruders, malware attacks, and other external threats
Lowest new price: $40.37
Lowest used price: $34.49
List price: $44.99
Author: Donald A. Tevault
A comprehensive guide to mastering the art of preventing your Linux system from getting compromised.
- Leverage this guide to confidently deliver a system that reduces the risk of being hacked
- Perform a number of advanced Linux security techniques such as network service detection, user authentication, controlling special permissions, encrypting file systems, and much more
- Master the art of securing a Linux environment with this end-to-end practical guide
This book has extensive coverage of techniques that will help prevent attackers from breaching your system, by building a much more secure Linux environment. You will learn various security techniques such as SSH hardening, network service detection, setting up firewalls, encrypting file systems, protecting user accounts, authentication processes, and so on. Moving forward, you will also develop hands-on skills with advanced Linux permissions, access control, special modes, and more. Lastly, this book will also cover best practices and troubleshooting techniques to get your work done efficiently.
By the end of this book, you will be confident in delivering a system that will be much harder to compromise.
What you will learn
- Use various techniques to prevent intruders from accessing sensitive data
- Prevent intruders from planting malware, and detect whether malware has been planted
- Prevent insiders from accessing data that they aren't authorized to access
- Do quick checks to see whether a computer is running network services that it doesn't need to run
- Learn security techniques that are common to all Linux distros, and some that are distro-specific
Who This Book Is For
If you are a systems administrator or a network engineer interested in making your Linux environment more secure, then this book is for you. Security consultants wanting to enhance their Linux security skills will also benefit from this book. Prior knowledge of Linux is mandatory.
Table of Contents
- Running Linux in a virtual environment
- Securing user accounts
- Securing your server with a Firewall
- Encrypting and SSH Hardening
- Mastering Discretionary Access Control
- Access Control Lists and Shared Directory Management
- Implementing Mandatory Access Control with SELinux and AppArmor
- Scanning, Auditing and Hardening
- Vulnerability Scanning and Intrusion Detection
- Security Tips & Tricks for the Busy Bee
|Linux Administration: A Beginner’s Guide, Seventh Edition
Lowest new price: $21.99
Lowest used price: $6.00
List price: $40.00
Author: Wale Soyinka
Brand: MCGRAW-HILL Professional
Now with a virtual machine showcasing the book's test system configuration, Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Seventh Edition teaches system administrators how to set-up and configure Linux quickly and easily.
Effectively set up and manage any version of Linux on individual servers or entire networks using this practical resource. Fully updated to cover the latest tools and techniques, Linux Administration: A Beginner’s Guide, Seventh Edition features clear explanations, step-by-step instructions, and real-world examples. Find out how to configure hardware and software, work from the GUI or command line, maintain Internet and network services, and secure your data. Performance tuning, virtualization, containers, software management, and backup solutions are covered in detail.
- Install and configure Linux, including the latest distributions from Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, openSUSE, Debian, and RHEL
- Manage users, permissions, files, folders, and applications
- Set up and administer system services and daemons
- Manage software from source code or binary packages
- Customize, build, or patch the Linux kernel
- Work with physical and virtual file systems, such as proc, SysFS, and cgroup
- Understand networking protocols, including TCP/IP, ARP, IPv4, and IPv6
- Build reliable firewalls and routers with Netfilter (iptables and nftables) and Linux
- Monitor and test network activity and minimize security threats
- Create and maintain DNS, FTP, web, e-mail, print, LDAP, and VoIP servers
- Share resources using GlusterFS, NFS, and Samba
- Implement popular cloud-based technologies using Linux virtualization and containers using KVM and Docker
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Administration (Course 3112): CLA, LPIC - 1 & Linux+
Lowest new price: $140.00
Lowest used price: $59.92
List price: $209.95
SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER ADMINISTRATION, SECOND EDITION is geared towards readers who are interested in administering, using, or developing programs for the Linux operating system. Readers are introduced to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 operating system and learn to administer Linux in a network administration environment. Hands-on labs and numerous practical examples will guide learners in the management of users, groups, software, hardware, file systems, and the X Windows System using various commands as well as the graphical YaST utility. Review Questions and Discovery Exercises at the end of each chapter help users prepare for three Linux certificatin exams: Novell Certified Linux Administrator, Linux Professional Institute LPIC-1, and CompTIA Linux+ (Powered by LPI).
|Linux Server Security: Hack and Defend
Lowest new price: $37.50
Lowest used price: $37.39
List price: $50.00
Author: Chris Binnie
Learn how to attack and defend the world’s most popular web server platform
Linux Server Security: Hack and Defend presents a detailed guide for experienced admins, aspiring hackers and other IT professionals seeking a more advanced understanding of Linux security. Written by a 20-year veteran of Linux server deployment this book provides the insight of experience along with highly practical instruction.
The topics range from the theory of past, current, and future attacks, to the mitigation of a variety of online attacks, all the way to empowering you to perform numerous malicious attacks yourself (in the hope that you will learn how to defend against them). By increasing your understanding of a hacker’s tools and mindset you're less likely to be confronted by the all-too-common reality faced by many admins these days: someone else has control of your systems.
- Master hacking tools and launch sophisticated attacks: perform SQL injections, deploy multiple server exploits and crack complex passwords.
- Defend systems and networks: make your servers invisible, be confident of your security with penetration testing and repel unwelcome attackers.
- Increase your background knowledge of attacks on systems and networks and improve all-important practical skills required to secure any Linux server.
The techniques presented apply to almost all Linux distributions including the many Debian and Red Hat derivatives and some other Unix-type systems. Further your career with this intriguing, deeply insightful, must-have technical book. Diverse, broadly-applicable and hands-on practical, Linux Server Security: Hack and Defend is an essential resource which will sit proudly on any techie's bookshelf.
|Linux Hardening in Hostile Networks: Server Security from TLS to Tor (Pearson Open Source Software Development Series)
Lowest new price: $32.22
Lowest used price: $35.25
List price: $39.99
Author: Kyle Rankin
Implement Industrial-Strength Security on Any Linux Server
In an age of mass surveillance, when advanced cyberwarfare weapons rapidly migrate into every hacker’s toolkit, you can’t rely on outdated security methods–especially if you’re responsible for Internet-facing services. In Linux® Hardening in Hostile Networks, Kyle Rankin helps you to implement modern safeguards that provide maximum impact with minimum effort and to strip away old techniques that are no longer worth your time.
Rankin provides clear, concise guidance on modern workstation, server, and network hardening, and explains how to harden specific services, such as web servers, email, DNS, and databases. Along the way, he demystifies technologies once viewed as too complex or mysterious but now essential to mainstream Linux security. He also includes a full chapter on effective incident response that both DevOps and SecOps can use to write their own incident response plan.
Each chapter begins with techniques any sysadmin can use quickly to protect against entry-level hackers and presents intermediate and advanced techniques to safeguard against sophisticated and knowledgeable attackers, perhaps even state actors. Throughout, you learn what each technique does, how it works, what it does and doesn’t protect against, and whether it would be useful in your environment.
- Apply core security techniques including 2FA and strong passwords
- Protect admin workstations via lock screens, disk encryption, BIOS passwords, and other methods
- Use the security-focused Tails distribution as a quick path to a hardened workstation
- Compartmentalize workstation tasks into VMs with varying levels of trust
- Harden servers with SSH, use apparmor and sudo to limit the damage attackers can do, and set up remote syslog servers to track their actions
- Establish secure VPNs with OpenVPN, and leverage SSH to tunnel traffic when VPNs can’t be used
- Configure a software load balancer to terminate SSL/TLS connections and initiate new ones downstream
- Set up standalone Tor services and hidden Tor services and relays
- Secure Apache and Nginx web servers, and take full advantage of HTTPS
- Perform advanced web server hardening with HTTPS forward secrecy and ModSecurity web application firewalls
- Strengthen email security with SMTP relay authentication, SMTPS, SPF records, DKIM, and DMARC
- Harden DNS servers, deter their use in DDoS attacks, and fully implement DNSSEC
- Systematically protect databases via network access control, TLS traffic encryption, and encrypted data storage
- Respond to a compromised server, collect evidence, and prevent future attacks
Register your product at informit.com/register for convenient access to downloads, updates, and corrections as they become available.
|Internetworking with TCP/IP, Vol. III: Client-Server Programming and Applications, Linux/Posix Sockets Version
Lowest new price: $50.00
Lowest used price: $34.00
List price: $90.00
Author: Douglas E. Comer
Internetworking with TCP/IP, Volume III describes the fundamental concepts of client-server computing used to build all distributed computing systems, and presents an in-depth guide to the Posix sockets standard utilized by Linux and other operating systems. Dr. Douglas E. Comer compares leading server designs, and describes the key tools and techniques used to build clients and servers, including Remote Procedure Call (RPC). The book contains examples of running programs that illustrate each approach. Comer introduces the client-server model and its software design implications; the role of concurrent processing and threads; the Socket API, and differences that impact Linux programmers. Understand the key algorithms and issues associated with client and server software design; then review three leading approaches: iterative, connectionless servers (UPD); and both iterative and concurrent connection-oriented servers (TCP). The book contains extensive coverage of threading, including a new chapter on using threads for concurrency; as well as coverage of single-threaded and multi-threaded concurrent servers. Comer introduces multi-protocol and multi-service services; reviews client concurrency; tunneling at the transport and application levels; and external data representation (XDR). He reviews RPC, distributed program generation, NFS concepts and protocol; Telnet; streaming media transport; and finally, techniques for avoiding deadlock and starvation in client-server systems. For everyone who wants to master TCP/IP and understand how the Internet works.
|Mastering CentOS 7 Linux Server
Lowest new price: $35.99
Lowest used price: $25.68
List price: $49.99
Author: Mohamed Alibi
Configure, manage, and secure a CentOS 7 Linux server to serve a variety of services provided in a sustainable computer's infrastructure.
About This Book
- Learn how to efficiently set up and manage a Linux server using one of the best suited technologies for this purpose, CentOS 7
- Personalize your Linux server and familiarize yourself with the latest tools and utilities setup provided by the new CentOS distribution
- Follow a step-by-step tutorial through the configuration of the requested services with the capacity to personalize them as per your needs
Who This Book Is For
If you are a Linux system administrator with an intermediate administration level, this is your opportunity to master the brand new distribution of CentOS. If you wish to possess a fully sustainable Linux server, with all its new tools and tweaks, that serves a variety of services to your users and customers, this book is ideal for you. It is your ticket to easily adapt to all the changes made in the latest shift.
What You Will Learn
- Manage CentOS 7 users, groups, and root access privileges
- Enhance the server's security through its firewall and prevent the most common attacks from penetrating or disabling the server
- Explore and implement the common, useful services that a CentOS 7 server can provide
- Monitor your server infrastructure for system or hardware issues
- Create and configure a virtual machine using virtualization technologies
- Implement a cloud computing solution on a single node system
- Get an introduction to the configuration management tools and their usage
- Discover the importance of the tools that provide remote connection, server service security, and system and process monitoring tools
Most server infrastructures are equipped with at least one Linux server that provides many essential services, both for a user's demands and for the infrastructure itself. Setting up a sustainable Linux server is one of the most demanding tasks for a system administrator to perform. However, learning multiple, new technologies to meet all of their needs is time-consuming. CentOS 7 is the brand new version of the CentOS Linux system under the RPM (Red Hat) family. It is one of the most widely-used operating systems, being the choice of many organizations across the world.
With the help of this book, you will explore the best practices and administration tools of CentOS 7 Linux server along with implementing some of the most common Linux services. We start by explaining the initial steps you need to carry out after installing CentOS 7 by briefly explaining the concepts related to users, groups, and right management, along with some basic system security measures. Next, you will be introduced to the most commonly used services and shown in detail how to implement and deploy them so they can be used by internal or external users. Soon enough, you will be shown how to monitor the server. We will then move on to master the virtualization and cloud computing techniques. Finally, the book wraps up by explaining configuration management and some security tweaks.
All these topics and more are covered in this comprehensive guide, which briefly demonstrates the latest changes to all of the services and tools with the recent shift from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.
Style and approach
This is a detailed and in-depth guide to help you administrate CentOS 7 for the usage of your server's infrastructure and also for personal network security. Each section shows a list of tools and utilities that are useful to perform the required task, in an easy to understand manner.
Page 1 of 48
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.