|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
|Learning Java by Building Android Games - Explore Java Through Mobile Game Development
Lowest new price: $31.99
Lowest used price: $21.00
List price: $31.99
Author: John Horton
- Acquaint yourself with Java and object-oriented programming, from zero previous experience
- Build four cool games for your phone and tablet, from retro arcade-style games to memory and education games, and gain the knowledge to design and create your own games too
- Walk through the fundamentals of building games and use that experience as a springboard to study advanced game development or just have fun
Android is the fastest growing operating system (OS) with one of the largest installed bases of any mobile OS. Android uses one of the most popular programming languages, Java, as the primary language for building apps of all types. So, you should first obtain a solid grasp of the Java language and its foundation APIs to improve the chances of succeeding as an Android app developer.
This book will show you how to get your Android development environment set up and you will soon have your first working game. The difficulty level grows steadily with the introduction of key Java topics such as loops, methods, and OOP. You'll then use them in the development of games. You will learn how to build a math test game, a Simon-like memory game, a retro pong-style game, and for the grand finale, a Snake-style, retro arcade game with real Google Play leaderboards and achievements. The book has a hands-on approach and is packed with screenshots.
What You Will Learn
- Set up an efficient, professional game development environment in Android Studio
- Build your very own Android UI using easy to-use tools in Android Studio
- Add real-time interaction with Java threads and implement locking/handling screen rotation, pixel graphics, clicks, animation, sound FX, and many other features in your games
- Explore object-oriented programming (OOP) and design scalable, reliable, and well-written Java games or apps on almost any Android device
- Build and deploy a graphical pong-style game using advanced OOP concepts
- Explore APIs and implement advanced features such as online leaderboards and achievements using Google game services
- Make your game compelling to be the next big hit on Google Play market with a content update strategy and in-game marketing
About the Author
John Horton is a technology enthusiast based in UK. When he is not writing apps, books, or blog articles for Game Code School, he can usually be found playing computer games or indulging in a Nerf war.
Table of Contents
- Why Java, Android, and Games?
- Getting Started with Android
- Speaking Java Ã¢â ¬â Your First Game
- Discovering Loops and Methods
- Gaming and Java Essentials
- OOP Ã¢â ¬â Using Other People's Hard Work
- Retro Squash Game
- The Snake Game
- Making Your Game the next Big Thing
|Head First Android Development: A Brain-Friendly Guide
Lowest new price: $23.93
Lowest used price: $15.00
List price: $49.99
Author: Dawn Griffiths
What will you learn from this book?
If you have an idea for a killer Android app, this book will help you build your first working application in a jiffy. You’ll learn hands-on how to structure your app, design interfaces, create a database, make your app work on various smartphones and tablets, and much more. It’s like having an experienced Android developer sitting right next to you! All you need is some Java know-how to get started.
Why does this book look so different?
Based on the latest research in cognitive science and learning theory, Head First Android Development uses a visually rich format to engage your mind, rather than a text-heavy approach that puts you to sleep. Why waste your time struggling with new concepts? This multi-sensory learning experience is designed for the way your brain really works.
|iOS 10 Programming Fundamentals with Swift: Swift, Xcode, and Cocoa Basics
Lowest new price: $37.60
Lowest used price: $20.51
List price: $49.99
Author: Matt Neuburg
Move into iOS development by getting a firm grasp of its fundamentals, including the Xcode IDE, the Cocoa Touch framework, and Swift 3—the latest version of Apple’s acclaimed programming language. With this thoroughly updated guide, you’ll learn Swift’s object-oriented concepts, understand how to use Apple’s development tools, and discover how Cocoa provides the underlying functionality iOS apps need to have.
- Explore Swift’s object-oriented concepts: variables and functions, scopes and namespaces, object types and instances
- Become familiar with built-in Swift types such as numbers, strings, ranges, tuples, Optionals, arrays, dictionaries, and sets
- Learn how to declare, instantiate, and customize Swift object types: enums, structs, and classes
- Discover powerful Swift features such as protocols and generics
- Catch up on Swift 3 innovations: revised APIs, new Foundation bridged types, and more
- Tour the lifecycle of an Xcode project from inception to App Store—including Xcode’s new automatic code signing and debugging features
- Construct app interfaces with the nib editor, Interface Builder
- Understand Cocoa’s event-driven model and its major design patterns and features
- Find out how Swift communicates with Cocoa’s C and Objective-C APIs
Once you master the fundamentals, you’ll be ready to tackle the details of iOS app development with author Matt Neuburg’s companion guide, Programming iOS 10.
|Murach's Android Programming (2nd Edition)
Lowest new price: $40.35
Lowest used price: $28.71
List price: $57.50
Author: Joel Murach
Want to learn how to develop Android apps? Then don't miss our new book: Murach's Android Programming (2nd Edition). It teaches you how to develop high-quality apps like the ones you can find in the Google Play store. The only prerequisite is a basic knowledge of Java. Everything else, including software installation, is covered.
To start, this book shows the Android Studio and Java skills you need to develop a Tip Calculator app for a smartphone or tablet. Then, it expands upon this app to show must-have Android skills such as working with layouts, widgets, events, themes, styles, menus, preferences, and fragments. Next, this book presents two more apps that illustrate Android skills programmers use every day, such as working with threads, files, adapters, intents, services, notifications, broadcast receivers, SQLite databases, content providers, and app widgets. Finally, this book presents an app that uses the Google Maps API and shows you how to submit your finished apps to the Google Play store.
The real-world apps let you see how the skills you're learning work together, and they illustrate how and when you'd use each skill. And all the content is presented in Murach's distinctive paired-pages style that developers find so clear and time-saving for both training and reference.
|Java in 21 Days, Sams Teach Yourself (Covering Java 8) (7th Edition)
Lowest new price: $24.00
Lowest used price: $15.86
List price: $44.99
Author: Rogers Cadenhead
In just 21 days you can acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to develop applications on your computer and apps that run on Android phones and tablets. With this complete tutorial you’ll quickly master the basics and then move on to more advanced features and concepts.
Completely updated for Java 8, this book teaches you about the Java language and how to use it to create applications for any computing environment and Android apps. By the time you have finished the book, you’ll have well-rounded knowledge of Java and the Java class libraries. Using your new skills, you will be able to develop your own programs for tasks such as web services, database connectivity, XML processing, and mobile programming.
No previous programming experience required. By following the 21 carefully organized lessons in this book, anyone can learn the basics of Java programming.
Learn at your own pace.
You can work through each chapter sequentially to make sure you thoroughly understand all the concepts and methodologies, or you can focus on specific lessons to learn the techniques that interest you most.
Test your knowledge. Each chapter ends with a Workshop section filled with questions, answers, and exercises for further study. There are even certification practice questions.
- Completely revised, updated, and expanded to cover the latest features of Java 8
- Learn to develop Java applications and Android apps using NetBeans and Google’s new Android Studio -- two excellent (and free!) programming platforms
- Covers new features of Java 8 such as closures, the most eagerly anticipated language feature in years
- Easy-to-understand, practical examples clearly illustrate the fundamentals of Java programming
- Discover how Swing can help you quickly develop programs with a graphical user interface
- Find out about JDBC 4.2 programming with the Derby database and XML parsing with the open source XOM class library
- Learn how to use streams to write programs that communicate with the Internet, including socket programming, buffers, channels, and URL handling.
Contents at a Glance
WEEK 1: The Java Language
DAY 1 Getting Started with Java
DAY 2 The ABCs of Programming
DAY 3 Working with Objects
DAY 4 Lists, Logic, and Loops
DAY 5 Creating Classesand Methods
DAY 6 Packages, Interfaces, and Other Class Features
DAY 7 Exceptions and Threads
WEEK 2: The Java Class Library
DAY 8 Data Structures
DAY 9 Working with Swing
DAY 10 Building a Swing Interface
DAY 11 Arranging Components on a User Interface
DAY 12 Responding to User Input
DAY 13 Creating Java2D Graphics
DAY 14 Developing Swing Applications
WEEK 3: Java Programming
DAY 15 Working with Input and Output
DAY 16 Using Inner Classes and Closures
DAY 17 Communicating Across the Internet
DAY 18 Accessing Databases with JDBC 4.2 and Derby
DAY 19 Reading and Writing RSS Feeds
DAY 20 XML Web Services
DAY 21 Writing Android Apps for Java
APPENDIX A Using the NetBeans IDE
APPENDIX B This Book’s Website
APPENDIX C Fixing a Problem with the Android Studio Emulator
APPENDIX D Using the Java Development Kit
APPENDIX E Programming with the Java Development Kit
- Java in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself (Covering Java 9) (8th Edition)
- Java: A Beginner's Guide, Sixth Edition
- Java: The Complete Reference, Ninth Edition
- Head First Java, 2nd Edition
- Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals (10th Edition) (Core Series)
- C++ in One Hour a Day, Sams Teach Yourself (8th Edition)
- Python in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself (2nd Edition)
- Java All-in-One For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
- Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
- Java: 2017 Ultimate Beginners Guide to Learn Java Programming ( java for dummies, java apps, java for beginners, java apps, hacking, hacking exposed) ... Developers, Coding, CSS, PHP) (Volume 1)
|Don't hire a software developer until you read this book
Lowest new price: $16.30
Lowest used price: $16.25
List price: $16.99
Author: K.N. Kukoyi
Now an international best seller - hitting #1 in multiple book categories in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and Brazil.
Would you like to make money by launching your own software? Perhaps you have an idea for a mobile app, or software that runs on the web? This book is for people interested in tech entrepreneurship, and those who have recently founded tech startups and would like some assistance with staying on track. Increase your know-how with this practical software survival guide written by a professional software delivery specialist who has spent more than a decade helping small businesses, multinationals and publicly listed companies to create and launch their web and mobile apps from scratch. Learning through trial and error wastes time, and money! Instead, discover the things you'll need to know, and do to succeed, explained step-by-step in this comprehensive book, which gives you all the tools you'll need to: • Avoid the pitfalls, perils, and risks of software development. • Avoid "reinventing the wheel" and making costly "rookie mistakes" when starting your tech business. • Successfully interview and hire a software developer. • Manage the software development process like a pro! This book is for you, if: • You’re considering different ways to start, or grow a business and you’d like to know how to get a quality, commercial -grade software product built, starting from zero. • You want a guide that will show you how to get a mobile app built and successfully launched in the Google Play or Apple App Stores. • You want to create a web application such as a SaaS, (Software as a Service product) to serve customers online and would like a handbook to explain the steps involved. • You’re a tech entrepreneur looking for practical tools and methods to help you manage the software development side of your business more efficiently, with less issues, less delays, less risk and less wasted resources. • You want to learn how to start your tech business the smart way! Relevant topics from "A through to Z" for your convenience. To ensure that you are able to cover your bases, this book includes a wide range of topics, including: market research and validating your idea, product development, the pros and cons of building different types of software app (iOS vs. Android vs. SaaS / web applications) and information about suitable programming languages. Practical assistance is given throughout the book to help you get the results you want and you'll be shown how to find and interview developers, create prototypes from scratch, run customer testing sessions, assess your options for revenue generation, use basic SEO and marketing principles to promote your app and more! Use the checklists, scripts and templates provided in this comprehensive "handbook for creating software" to support you from the "spark" of your initial idea, right through to the launch of your software, and beyond. Don't go it alone - and Don't Hire a Software Developer Until You Read this Book! NOTE This is the second book in the series. The first book, Develop Your Idea! is for readers seeking assistance with more general business topics; including startup fundamentals, validating business ideas, identifying the correct target market for a new business venture, preselling products and fundraising. Some of these topics are covered in Don't Hire a Software Developer Until You Read this Book, the larger and more tech focused of the two.
|Learning Swift: Building Apps for macOS, iOS, and Beyond
Lowest new price: $30.18
Lowest used price: $25.66
List price: $49.99
Author: Paris Buttfield-Addison
Brand: O Reilly Media
Get valuable hands-on experience with Swift 3, the latest version of Apple’s programming language. With this practical guide, skilled programmers with little or no knowledge of Apple development will learn how to code with Swift 3 by developing three complete, tightly linked versions of the Notes application for the OS X, iOS, and watchOS platforms.
In the process, you’ll learn Swift’s fundamentals, including its syntax and features, along with the basics of the Cocoa, CocoaTouch, and WatchKit frameworks. This book teaches you how to use common design patterns for Swift, how to structure an application for Apple’s platforms, and how to submit working apps to the App Store.
Divided into four distinct parts, this book includes:
- Swift 2 basics: Learn Swift’s basic building blocks and features for object-oriented development
- OS X app development: Set up the document model, build out features, and sync data with iCloud
- iOS app development: Use multimedia, contacts, location, notifications, and iCloud files to build a fully featured iOS Notes app
- Advanced app extensions: Build an Apple Watch app, and learn how to debug, monitor, and test all three of your Swift apps
|RxJS in Action
Lowest new price: $29.14
Lowest used price: $40.22
List price: $49.99
Author: Paul P. Daniels
RxJS in Action gives you the development skills you need to create reactive applications with RxJS. This book is full of theory and practical examples that build on each other and help you begin thinking in a reactive manner. Foreword by Ben Lesh, Project lead, RxJS 5.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Technology
About the Book
RxJS in Action is your guide to building a reactive web UI using RxJS. You'll begin with an intro to stream-based programming as you explore the power of RxJS through practical examples. With the core concepts in hand, you'll tackle production techniques like error handling, unit testing, and interacting with frameworks like React and Redux. And because RxJS builds on ideas from the world of functional programming, you'll even pick up some key FP concepts along the way.
- Building clean, declarative, fault-tolerant applications
- Transforming and composing streams
- Taming asynchronous processes
- Integrating streams with third-party libraries
- Covers RxJS 5
About the Reader
About the Author
Table of Contents
PART 1 - UNDERSTANDING STREAMS
- Thinking reactively
- Reacting with RxJS
- Core operators
- It's about time you used RxJS
PART 2 - OBSERVABLES IN PRACTICE
- Applied reactive streams
- Coordinating business processes
- Error handling with RxJS
PART 3 MASTERING RXJS
- Heating up observables
- Toward testable, reactive programs
- RxJS in the wild
|Xamarin Mobile Application Development: Cross-Platform C# and Xamarin.Forms Fundamentals
Lowest new price: $32.79
Lowest used price: $19.95
List price: $49.99
Author: Dan Hermes
Brand: Daniel Hermes
Xamarin Mobile Application Development is a hands-on Xamarin.Forms primer and a cross-platform reference for building native Android, iOS, and Windows Phone apps using C# and .NET. This book explains how to use Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.iOS to build business apps for your customers and consumer apps for Google Play and the iTunes App Store.
Learn how to leverage Xamarin.Forms for cross-platform development using the most common UI pages, layouts, views, controls, and design patterns. Combine these with platform-specific UI to craft a visually stunning and highly interactive mobile user experience.
Use Xamarin.Forms to data bind your UI to both data models and to view models for a Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM) implementation. Use this book to answer the important question: Is Xamarin.Forms right for my project?
Platform-specific UI is a key concept in cross-platform development, and Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS are the foundation of the Xamarin platform. Xamarin Mobile Application Development will cover how to build an Android app using Xamarin.Android and an iOS app using Xamarin.iOS while sharing a core code library.
SQLite is the database-of-choice for many Xamarin developers. This book will explain local data access techniques using SQLite.NET and ADO.NET. Build a mobile data access layer (DAL) using SQLite and weigh your options for web services and enterprise cloud data solutions.
This book will show how organize your Xamarin code into a professional-grade application architecture. Explore solution-building techniques from starter-to-enterprise to help you decouple your functional layers, manage your platform-specific code, and share your cross-platform classes for code reuse, testability, and maintainability.
Also included are 250+ screenshots on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone and 200+ C# code examples with downloadable C# and XAML versions available from Apress.com.
This comprehensive recipe and reference book addresses one of the most important and vexing problems in the software industry today: How do we effectively design and develop cross-platform mobile applications?
- Xamarin Mobile Application Development Cross Platform C and Xamarin Forms Fundamentals
|Practical Internet of Things Security
Lowest new price: $44.98
Lowest used price: $31.89
List price: $44.99
Author: Brian Russell
A practical, indispensable security guide that will navigate you through the complex realm of securely building and deploying systems in our IoT-connected world
About This Book
- Learn to design and implement cyber security strategies for your organization
- Learn to protect cyber-physical systems and utilize forensic data analysis to beat vulnerabilities in your IoT ecosystem
- Learn best practices to secure your data from device to the cloud
- Gain insight into privacy-enhancing techniques and technologies
Who This Book Is For
This book targets IT Security Professionals and Security Engineers (including pentesters, security architects and ethical hackers) who would like to ensure security of their organization's data when connected through the IoT. Business analysts and managers will also find it useful.
What You Will Learn
- Learn how to break down cross-industry barriers by adopting the best practices for IoT deployments
- Build a rock-solid security program for IoT that is cost-effective and easy to maintain
- Demystify complex topics such as cryptography, privacy, and penetration testing to improve your security posture
- See how the selection of individual components can affect the security posture of the entire system
- Use Systems Security Engineering and Privacy-by-design principles to design a secure IoT ecosystem
- Get to know how to leverage the burdgening cloud-based systems that will support the IoT into the future.
With the advent of Intenret of Things (IoT), businesses will be faced with defending against new types of threats. The business ecosystem now includes cloud computing infrastructure, mobile and fixed endpoints that open up new attack surfaces, a desire to share information with many stakeholders and a need to take action quickly based on large quantities of collected data. . It therefore becomes critical to ensure that cyber security threats are contained to a minimum when implementing new IoT services and solutions. . The interconnectivity of people, devices, and companies raises stakes to a new level as computing and action become even more mobile, everything becomes connected to the cloud, and infrastructure is strained to securely manage the billions of devices that will connect us all to the IoT. This book shows you how to implement cyber-security solutions, IoT design best practices and risk mitigation methodologies to address device and infrastructure threats to IoT solutions.
This book will take readers on a journey that begins with understanding the IoT and how it can be applied in various industries, goes on to describe the security challenges associated with the IoT, and then provides a set of guidelines to architect and deploy a secure IoT in your Enterprise. The book will showcase how the IoT is implemented in early-adopting industries and describe how lessons can be learned and shared across diverse industries to support a secure IoT.
Style and approach
This book aims to educate readers on key areas in IoT security. It walks readers through engaging with security challenges and then provides answers on how to successfully manage IoT security and build a safe infrastructure for smart devices. After reading this book, you will understand the true potential of tools and solutions in order to build real-time security intelligence on IoT networks.
Page 4 of 260
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.