|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Learn Calligraphy: The Complete Book of Lettering and Design
Lowest new price: $13.05
Lowest used price: $6.73
List price: $18.99
Author: Margaret Shepherd
Brand: Margaret Shepherd
In an age of myriad computer fonts and instant communication, your handwriting style is increasingly a very personal creation. In this book, Margaret Shepherd, America's premier calligrapher, shows you that calligraphy is not simply a craft you can learn, but an elegant art form that you can make your own.
Calligraphy remains perennially popular, often adorning wedding invitations, diplomas, and commercial signs. Whether it is Roman, Gothic, Celtic, Bookhand, or Italic style, calligraphy conveys class and elegance. Margaret Shepherd makes this ancient art form accessible in a completely hand-lettered technical guide that will:
* Provide context for calligraphy as an art, exploring the rich tradition of hand-lettering and mapping the evolution of the most popular styles.
* Give detailed technical advice on choosing pens, paper, and inks, setting up your workspace, mastering various pen angles, along with step-by-step illustrations to guide you as you practice.
* Explain which alphabets are appropriate for different forms of writing. For example, the Roman alphabet works well for short, unpunctuated passages, while the Italic alphabet is more suited to informal everyday communication.
* Encourage you to personalize your lettering by using variant strokes and interpreting how you would like the words to look on the page.
* Inspire you with carefully chosen illustrations and examples, which bring letters to life.
In Margaret Shepherd's own words, "Calligraphy trains not only your eye and hand, but your mind as well." Learn Calligraphy is the authoritative primer for this age-old craft, and will help develop a new appreciation for lettering as you discover your creative personality.
- Learn Calligraphy The Complete Book of Lettering and Design
- Studio Series Calligraphy Paper Pad (set of 50 heavyweight sheets)
- Staedtler Calligraphy Pen Set, 33 Pieces
- Calligraphy & Hand Lettering Notepad: Beginner Practice Workbook & Introduction to Lettering & Calligraphy (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
- Strathmore STR-405-11 50 Sheet Tape Bound Calligraphy Pad, 8.5 by 11"
- Mont Marte Calligraphy Paper Workbook Letters 3Pack, each Pack Contains 50 Sheets
- Daveliou Calligraphy Pen Set - 19-Piece Kit - FREE Glass Pen - 12 Nib & 5 Ink Set
- Sheaffer Calligraphy Maxi Kit, 3 Viewpoint Fountain Pens with 3 Nib Grades, Assortment of Ink Cartridges, Tracing Pad (73404)
- Pilot Parallel Pen 2-Color Calligraphy Pen Set with Red and Black Ink Cartridges, 2.4mm Nib (90051)
- Speedball Elegant Writer 4 Calligraphy Marker Instructional Set
- US Art Supply Premium Calligraphic Practice Paper Pad, Calligraphy Paper With Printed Practice Rule And Slanted Grid, 19 lbs. Bond (70 gsm), Pad Of 50-Sheets, 2 Pads
|Highbrow, Lowbrow, Brilliant, Despicable: Fifty Years of New York Magazine
Lowest new price: $36.36
Lowest used price: $44.37
List price: $65.00
Author: The Editors of New York Magazine
New York, the city. New York, the magazine. A celebration.
The great story of New York City in the past half-century has been its near collapse and miraculous rebirth. A battered town left for dead, one that almost a million people abandoned and where those who remained had to live behind triple deadbolt locks, was reinvigorated by the twinned energies of starving artists and financial white knights. Over the next generation, the city was utterly transformed. It again became the capital of wealth and innovation, an engine of cultural vibrancy, a magnet for immigrants, and a city of endless possibility. It was the place to be—if you could afford it.
Since its founding in 1968, New York Magazine has told the story of that city’s constant morphing, week after week. Covering culture high and low, the drama and scandal of politics and finance, through jubilant moments and immense tragedies, the magazine has hit readers where they live, with a sensibility as fast and funny and urbane as New York itself. From its early days publishing writers like Tom Wolfe, Jimmy Breslin, and Gloria Steinem to its modern incarnation as a laboratory of inventive magazine-making, New York has had an extraordinary knack for catching the Zeitgeist and getting it on the page. It was among the originators of the New Journalism, publishing legendary stories whose authors infiltrated a Black Panther party in Leonard Bernstein’s apartment, introduced us to the mother-daughter hermits living in the dilapidated estate known as Grey Gardens, launched Ms. Magazine, branded a group of up-and-coming teen stars “the Brat Pack,” and effectively ended the career of Roger Ailes. Again and again, it introduced new words into the conversation—from “foodie” to “normcore”—and spotted fresh talent before just about anyone.
Along the way, those writers and their colleagues revealed what was most interesting at the forward edge of American culture—from the old Brooklyn of Saturday Night Fever to the new Brooklyn of artisanal food trucks, from the Wall Street crashes to the hedge-fund spoils, from The Godfather to Girls—in ways that were knowing, witty, sometimes weird, occasionally vulgar, and often unforgettable. On “The Approval Matrix,” the magazine’s beloved back-page feature, New York itself would fall at the crossroads of highbrow and lowbrow, and more brilliant than despicable. (Most of the time.)
Marking the magazine’s fiftieth birthday, Highbrow, Lowbrow, Brilliant, Despicable: 50 Years of New York draws from all that coverage to present an enormous, sweeping, idiosyncratic picture of a half-century at the center of the world. Through stories and images of power and money, movies and food, crises and family life, it constitutes an unparalleled history of that city’s transformation, and of a New York City institution as well. It is packed with behind-the-scenes stories from New York’s writers, editors, designers, and journalistic subjects—and frequently overflows its own pages onto spectacular foldouts. It’s a big book for a big town.
|Understanding Exposure, Fourth Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Lowest new price: $14.34
Lowest used price: $14.32
List price: $26.99
Author: Bryan Peterson
This newly revised edition of Bryan Peterson's most popular book demystifies the complex concepts of exposure in photography, allowing readers to capture the images they want.
Understanding Exposure has taught generations of photographers how to shoot the images they want by demystifying the complex concepts of exposure in photography. In this newly updated edition, veteran photographer Bryan Peterson explains the fundamentals of light, aperture, and shutter speed and how they interact with and influence one another. With an emphasis on finding the right exposure even in tricky situations, Understanding Exposure shows you how to get (or lose) sharpness and contrast in images, freeze action, and take the best meter readings, while also exploring filters, flash, and light.
With all new images, as well as an expanded section on flash, tips for using colored gels, and advice on shooting star trails, this revised edition will clarify exposure for photographers of all levels.
- Watson-Guptill Publications
|Canon EOS Rebel T6/1300D For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/tech))
Lowest new price: $12.56
Lowest used price: $8.44
List price: $29.99
Author: Julie Adair King
Your Canon EOS Rebel T6/1300D photography class—in a book!
The Canon EOS Rebel T6/1300D offers DLSR users a tool to take photographs truly worth bragging about. This book gives you the pointers and easy-to-follow instruction you need to make sense of your new camera and start taking those stunning shots—right out of its box.
First, it demystifies all the photography terms the pros use, explains your Canon camera's menus and settings, and shows how to take control of color, focus, and lighting. Once you have a grasp on those skills, you can apply your newfound knowledge to get better portraits, action shots, close ups, and other images.
If most of your photography experience has taken place behind the lens of a smartphone, fear not! You'll quickly and easily learn all about your Canon's tools for controlling focus and depth of field, getting vivid color, shooting landscapes, transferring your files to your computer, and so much more.
- Get up to speed on your camera's settings and menu options
- Take quick auto mode shots or be creative with manual settings
- Apply your knowledge to get better portraits and action shots
- Find tips for customizing your camera to suit your unique needs
If you love to take photos and want to up your game with a fantastic DSLR camera, Canon Rebel T6/1300D For Dummies is your fast track to getting picture-perfect snaps in a flash!
- BM Premium 2-Pack of LP-E10 Batteries for Canon EOS Rebel T3, T5, T6, Kiss X50, Kiss X70, EOS 1100D, EOS 1200D, EOS 1300D Digital Camera
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens + 58mm Wide Angle Lens + 2x Telephoto Lens + Flash + 48GB SD Memory Card + UV Filter Kit + Tripod + Full Accessory Bundle
- BM Premium 2-Pack of LP-E10 Batteries and Battery Charger Kit for Canon EOS Rebel T3, T5, T6, Kiss X50, Kiss X70, EOS 1100D, EOS 1200D, EOS 1300D Digital Camera
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens, 64GB, along with Fibertique Cleaning Cloth, and Xpix cleaning Kit and Deluxe Accessory Bundle
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens, W/ Total of 64 GB, Xpix Table top Tripod, FiberTique Cloth and Deluxe Accessory Bundle
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera Bundle with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens + Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens + 2pc SanDisk 32GB Memory Cards + Accessory Kit
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera Kit, EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens, EF 75-300mm III Lens, Polaroid Wide Angle, Telephoto Lens, 64GB and Accessory Bundle
- BM Premium Pack of 2 LP-E10 Batteries and USB Dual Battery Charger Kit for Canon EOS Rebel T3, T5, T6, Kiss X50, Kiss X70, EOS 1100D, EOS 1200D, EOS 1300D Digital Camera
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera Bundle with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens + 2pc SanDisk 32GB Memory Cards + Accessory Kit
- Canon Rebel T6 DSLR Camera w/18-55mm & 75-300mm Lenses Canon 100ES Bag, Flash, Filter kit+ 32GB Promotional Holiday Bundle
|The Hubble Cosmos: 25 Years of New Vistas in Space
Lowest new price: $33.40
Lowest used price: $24.98
List price: $50.00
Author: David H. Devorkin
Brand: National Geographic Society
To celebrate NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope and its 25 years of accomplishments, let The Hubble Cosmos fill your mind with big ideas, brilliant imagery, and a new understanding of the universe in which we live. Relive key moments in the monumental Hubble story, from launch through major new instrumentation to the promise of discoveries to come. With more than 150 photographs including Hubble All-Stars—the most famous of all the noteworthy images—The Hubble Cosmos shows how this telescope is revolutionizing our understanding of the universe.
- National Geographic Society
|Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling, The
Lowest new price: $23.26
Lowest used price: $21.00
List price: $35.00
Author: John Muir Laws
The ultimate guide to nature drawing and journaling
Gold Medal, 2016 Foreword INDIES Book Award. A potent combination of art, science, and boundless enthusiasm, the latest art instruction book from John Muir Laws is a how-to guide for becoming a better artist and a more attentive naturalist. In straightforward text complemented by step-by-step illustrations, dozens of exercises lead the hand and mind through creating accurate reproductions of plants and animals as well as landscapes, skies, and more. Laws provides clear, practical advice for every step of the process for artists at every level, from the basics of choosing supplies to advanced techniques. While the book's advice will improve the skills of already accomplished artists, the emphasis on seeing, learning, and feeling will make this book valuable even revelatory to anyone interested in the natural world, no matter how rudimentary their artistic abilities.
Also available: The Laws Sketchbook for Nature Journaling, a blank journal constructed to withstand excursions in the field and containing several exercises from The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling.
- The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling
|Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book (2017 release)
Lowest new price: $45.41
Lowest used price: $42.95
List price: $59.99
Author: Andrew Faulkner
Brand: Faulkner Andrew
Creative professionals seeking the fastest, easiest, most comprehensive way to learn Adobe Photoshop choose Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book (2017 release) from Adobe Press. The 15 project-based lessons in this book show users step-by-step the key techniques for working in Photoshop and how to correct, enhance, and distort digital images, create image composites, and prepare images for print and the web.
In addition to learning the key elements of the Photoshop interface, this completely revised CC (2017 release) edition covers features like new and improved search capabilities, Content-Aware Crop, Select and Mask, Face-Aware Liquify, designing with multiple artboards, and much more!
The online companion files include all the necessary assets for readers to complete the projects featured in each chapter as well as ebook updates when Adobe releases new features for Creative Cloud customers. All buyers of the book get full access to the Web Edition: a Web-based version of the complete ebook enhanced with video and interactive multiple-choice quizzes. As always with the Classroom in a Book, Instructor Notes are available for teachers to download.
- Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book 2017 Release
|National Geographic Visual Atlas of the World, 2nd Edition: Fully Revised and Updated
Lowest new price: $61.12
Lowest used price: $57.13
List price: $115.00
Author: National Geographic
Uniting National Geographic's incomparable photography with state-of-the-art cartographic technology, this re-imagined and completely updated visual atlas is a compelling and authoritative resource that will enthrall readers.
Updated for the first time since 2008, National Geographic's visual atlas of the world will delight and inspire history lovers, current event buffs, and cartography fans alike. From spectacular space imagery to UNESCO World Heritage Sites, this stunning book showcases the diverse natural and cultural treasures of the world in glorious color. Featuring more than 200 fascinating maps, 350 new photos, and state-of-the-art cartography and satellite imagery, this is an essential reference for families, travelers, students, librarians, and scholars. Each page, created in collaboration with the world's premier scientists, geographers, and cartographers, is packed with up-to-the-minute information, making this book the most beautiful and authoritative visual atlas available today.
|BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro
Lowest new price: $13.61
Lowest used price: $7.24
List price: $21.99
Author: Jim Miotke
Absolutely anyone can take better photos!
If you can press a button, you can take great pictures. It’s as simple as that. In BetterPhoto Basics, Jim Miotke, founder of the popular online photography school BetterPhoto.com, shares tips and tricks to improve your photos right away, no matter what camera you’re using. Too busy to read a book? No problem—flip to any page for an instant tip to use right away! Learn to compose knockout shots, make the most of indoor and outdoor light, and photograph twenty popular subjects, from sunsets and flowers to a family portrait. Those who want to go further get tips on controlling exposure and the secrets behind ten advanced creative techniques. And everyone will appreciate Jim’s breakdown of easy fixes to make in Photoshop. No matter what your level of experience, you’ll be amazed how easy it is to start taking photos like the pros.
|Learning to See Creatively, Third Edition: Design, Color, and Composition in Photography
Lowest new price: $14.58
Lowest used price: $13.98
List price: $25.99
Author: Bryan Peterson
Brand: Bryan F Peterson
Completely revised and updated throughout, Bryan Peterson's classic guide to creativity helps photographers visualize their work, and the world, in a whole new light by developing their photographic vision.
Fully revised with all new photography, this best-selling guide takes a radical approach to creativity by explaining that it is not an inherent ability but a skill that can be learned and applied. Using inventive photos from his own stunning portfolio, author and veteran photographer Bryan Peterson deconstructs creativity for photographers. He details the basic techniques that go into not only taking a particular photo, but also provides insights on how to improve upon it--helping readers avoid the visual pitfalls and technical dead ends that can lead to dull, uninventive photographs.
This revised edition features a complete section on color as a design element and all new photographs to illustrate Peterson's points. Learning to See Creatively is the definitive reference for any photographer looking for a fresh perspective on their work.
- Learning to See Creatively Third Edition Design Color and Composition in Photography
Page 1 of 1406
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.