|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions: Wide Rows, Organic Methods, Raised Beds, Deep Soil
Lowest new price: $11.84
Lowest used price: $7.65
List price: $24.95
Author: Edward C. Smith
Brand: Workman Publishing
The invaluable resource for home food gardeners! Ed Smith's W-O-R-D system has helped countless gardeners grow an abundance of vegetables and herbs. And those tomatoes and zucchini and basil and cucumbers have nourished countless families, neighbors, and friends with delicious, fresh produce. The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is essential reading for locavores in every corner of North America!
Everything you loved about the first edition of The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is still here: friendly, accessible language; full-color photography; comprehensive vegetable specific information in the A-to-Z section; ahead-of-its-time commitment to organic methods; and much more.
Now, Ed Smith is back with a 10th Anniversary Edition for the next generation of vegetable gardeners. New to this edition is coverage of 15 additional vegetables, including an expanded section on salad greens and more European and Asian vegetables. Readers will also find growing information on more fruits and herbs, new cultivar photographs in many vegetable entries, and a much-requested section on extending the season into the winter months. No matter how cold the climate, growers can bring herbs indoors and keep hardy greens alive in cold frames or hoop houses.
The impulse to grow vegetables is even stronger in 2009 than it was in 2000, when Storey published The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible. The financial and environmental costs of fossil fuels raise urgent questions: How far should we be shipping food? What are the health costs of petroleum-based pesticides and herbicides? Do we have to rely on megafarms that use gasoline-powered machinery to grow and harvest crops? With every difficult question, more people think, "Maybe I should grow a few vegetables of my own." This book will continue to answer all their vegetable gardening questions.
Praise for the First Edition:
"In every small town, there is a vegetable garden that people go out of the way to walk past. Smith is the guy who grew that garden." — Verlyn Klinkenborg, The New York Times Book Review
"An abundance of photographs . . . visually bolster the techniques described, while frequent subheads, sidebars, and information-packed photo captions make the layout user-friendly . . . [Smith's] book is thorough and infused with practical wisdom and a dry Vermont humor that should endear him to readers." — Publisher’s Weekly
"Smith . . . clearly explains everything novice and experienced gardeners need to know to grow vegetables and herbs. . . . " — Library Journal
"this book will answer all your questions as well as put you on the path to an abundant harvest. As a bonus, anecdotes and stories make this informative book fun to read." - New York Newsday
- The Vegetable Gardener s Bible
|Rachel Ashwell: My Floral Affair: Whimsical Spaces and Beautiful Florals
Lowest new price: $21.53
Lowest used price: $21.53
List price: $35.00
Author: Rachel Ashwell
Discover Rachel Ashwell’s floral inspirations and the unique touch she brings to interiors in her first book dedicated to flowers, a deeply-held passion come to life.
Flowers and floral decoration are at the core of Rachel Ashwell’s world and her designs. From her showcase rose garden in California, she set out with photographer Amy Neunsinger to capture the full-blown romance of the quintessential English country house, the dramatic colorways of northern Europe, and the faded opulence of a Parisian apartment. This is the story of that magical journey, which takes us through a variety of beautiful spaces large and small, some ornate and others simple. Every aspect of floral accents is showcased, from wallpaper to fabrics, floors to ceilings, architectural details, lighting and, of course, flower arrangements, some breathtaking and some simple… but all beautiful in their own right.
|The Market Gardener: A Successful Grower's Handbook for Small-scale Organic Farming
Lowest new price: $16.91
Lowest used price: $12.77
List price: $24.95
Author: Jean-Martin Fortier
Brand: Fortier Jean Martin
Les Jardins de la Grelinette is a micro-farm located in eastern Quebec, just north of the American border. Growing on just 1.5 acres, owners Jean-Martin and Maude-Helène feed more than two hundred families through their thriving CSA and seasonal market stands and supply their signature mesclun salad mix to dozens of local establishments. The secret of their success is the low-tech, high-yield production methods they’ve developed by focusing on growing better rather than growing bigger, making their operation more lucrative and viable in the process.
The Market Gardener is a compendium of la Grelinette’s proven horticultural techniques and innovative growing methods. This complete guide is packed with practical information on:
- Setting-up a micro-farm by designing biologically intensive cropping systems, all with negligible capital outlay
- Farming without a tractor and minimizing fossil fuel inputs through the use of the best hand tools, appropriate machinery, and minimum tillage practices
- Growing mixed vegetables systematically with attention to weed and pest management, crop yields, harvest periods, and pricing approaches
Inspired by the French intensive tradition of maraichage and by iconic American vegetable grower Eliot Coleman, author and farmer Jean-Martin shows by example how to start a market garden and make it both very productive and profitable. Making a living wage farming without big capital outlay or acreages may be closer than you think.
Jean-Martin Fortier is a passionate advocate of strong local food systems and founder of Les Jardins de la Grelinette, an internationally recognized model for successful biointensive micro-farming.
- The Market Gardener A Successful Grower s Handbook for Small Scale Organic Farming
|Urban Jungle: Living and Styling with Plants
Lowest new price: $22.80
Lowest used price: $23.97
List price: $35.00
Author: Igor Josifovic
Brand: Josifovic Igor
Urban Jungle: Living and Styling with Plants is a source of inspiration, ideas and a manual for all of those who want to bring more plants into their home.
- Provides all your DIY ideas for styling and tips on how to plant
- Inspiration for seasoned plant lovers as well as beginners, providing the total package on the topic of living with plants
The book guides the reader through different "green" homes in five European countries and shows how beautiful, unique, creative and even artistic living with plants can be. More than that the reader finds endless ideas for styling from the bloggers of the "Urban Jungle Bloggers" community. To complete the topic of indoor plants the book offers easy help for taking care of the plants and DIY tips.
- Urban Jungle Living and Styling with Plants
|The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!
Lowest new price: $8.24
Lowest used price: $5.91
List price: $18.95
Brand: Workman Publishing
This comprehensive guide to homesteading provides all the information you need to grow and preserve a sustainable harvest of grains and vegetables; raise animals for meat, eggs, and dairy; and keep honey bees for your sweeter days. With easy-to-follow instructions on canning, drying, and pickling, you’ll enjoy your backyard bounty all winter long.
- The Backyard Homestead Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre
- The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner: What to Do & When to Do It in the Garden, Orchard, Barn, Pasture & Equipment Shed
- The Backyard Homestead Book of Building Projects: 76 Useful Things You Can Build to Create Customized Working Spaces and Storage Facilities, Equip the ... Animals, and Make Practical Outdoor Furniture
- The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals: Choose the Best Breeds for Small-Space Farming, Produce Your Own Grass-Fed Meat, Gather Fresh ... Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cattle, & Bees
- The Backyard Homestead Book of Kitchen Know-How: Field-to-Table Cooking Skills
- 40 Projects for Building Your Backyard Homestead: A Hands-on, Step-by-Step Sustainable-Living Guide (Build Feeders, Fences, Coops, & Sheds, Includes Wind & Solar Power, Rooftop & Vertical Gardening)
- Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
- The Woodland Homestead: How to Make Your Land More Productive and Live More Self-Sufficiently in the Woods
- The Encyclopedia of Country Living, 40th Anniversary Edition: The Original Manual for Living off the Land & Doing It Yourself
- Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency (Gardening)
- The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
|Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, 2nd Edition
Lowest new price: $17.43
Lowest used price: $11.99
List price: $29.95
Author: Toby Hemenway
Brand: Chelsea Green Pub Co
The first edition of Gaia’s Garden sparked the imagination of America’s home gardeners, introducing permaculture’s central message: Working with Nature, not against her, results in more beautiful, abundant, and forgiving gardens. This extensively revised and expanded second edition broadens the reach and depth of the permaculture approach for urban and suburban growers.
Many people mistakenly think that ecological gardening—which involves growing a wide range of edible and other useful plants—can take place only on a large, multiacre scale. As Hemenway demonstrates, it’s fun and easy to create a “backyard ecosystem” by assembling communities of plants that can work cooperatively and perform a variety of functions, including:
- Building and maintaining soil fertility and structure
- Catching and conserving water in the landscape
- Providing habitat for beneficial insects, birds, and animals
- Growing an edible “forest” that yields seasonal fruits, nuts, and other foods
This revised and updated edition also features a new chapter on urban permaculture, designed especially for people in cities and suburbs who have very limited growing space. Whatever size yard or garden you have to work with, you can apply basic permaculture principles to make it more diverse, more natural, more productive, and more beautiful. Best of all, once it’s established, an ecological garden will reduce or eliminate most of the backbreaking work that’s needed to maintain the typical lawn and garden.
- Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
- The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach
- Permaculture Design: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
- Practical Permaculture: for Home Landscapes, Your Community, and the Whole Earth
- Perennial Vegetables: From Artichoke to Zuiki Taro, a Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious, Easy-to-grow Edibles
- The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming (New York Review Books Classics)
- The Permaculture City: Regenerative Design for Urban, Suburban, and Town Resilience
- How to Grow More Vegetables, Ninth Edition: (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land with Less Water Than You Can Imagine
- The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way
|Marijuana Grower's Handbook: Your Complete Guide for Medical and Personal Marijuana Cultivation
Lowest new price: $20.62
Lowest used price: $16.27
List price: $29.95
Author: Ed Rosenthal
The all new Marijuana Grower’s Handbook shows both beginners and advanced growers how to grow the biggest most resinous, potent buds! This book contains the latest knowledge, tools, and methods to grow great marijuana indoors and out. Use the most efficient technology and save time, labor, and energy. Ed Rosenthal has been teaching people how to grow marijuana for more than 30 years. Let him help you cultivate bountiful buds and lots of them. With 500 pages of full color photos and illustrations, the book delivers all the basics that a novice grower needs, as well as scientific research for the experienced gardener. All aspects of cultivation are covered, from the selection of varieties, setting up of the garden, and through each stage of plant growth all the way to harvesting. Readers can link to Ed's research for additional information,photos,and equipment updates. Full color photographs throughout clarify instructions and show the stunning results possible with Ed's growing tips.
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is." -- Ed Rosenthal
- Marijuana Grower s Handbook Your Complete Guide for Medical and Personal Marijuana Cultivation
|The New Western Garden Book: The Ultimate Gardening Guide (Sunset Western Garden Book (Paper))
Lowest new price: $17.99
Lowest used price: $5.49
List price: $37.99
Author: The Editors of Sunset
Brand: Sunset Magazine
As surely as gardens change with the seasons, gardening is ever changing. New plants, techniques, materials, and lifestyles are constantly broadening the choices you have and reshaping the way you garden in the West. In response to this natural evolution, the editors of Sunset-the West's most trusted source of gardening information for more than 80 years-have completely redesigned and updated The Western Garden Book in this new 2012 Ninth Edition. Following the best-selling success of the previous editions of The Western Garden Book, this edition includes a fresh new look, thousands of color photographs, fresh illustrations, and an easy-to-follow format. Written by experts for gardeners in the West, this book is an indispensable reference for beginning and expert gardeners alike.
The New Western Garden Book features include:
A photo gallery shows the West's most innovative gardens, from all-edibles front yards to stylish water-wise and fire-wise gardens to living walls and green roofs-all with ideas you can use.
Climate Zone Maps and growing-season graphs for all regions of the West including Alaska and Hawaii.
A new "Plant Finder" section helps you choose plants for their garden's problem areas or for special effects.
"A to Z Plant Encyclopedia" lists some 8,000 plants that thrive in the West, including more than 500 new ones. Gorgeous color photographs illustrate all plant entries-for the first time ever in The Western Garden Book.
"Gardening From Start to Finish" is a new visual guide that leads readers through all steps of making a garden, from soil prep through planting, growing and care, with special sections on natives, veggies, grasses and more.
- The New Western Garden Book The Ultimate Gardening Guide
- Sunset Western Garden Book of Landscaping: The Complete Guide to Beautiful Paths, Patios, Plantings, and More (Sunset Western Garden Book (Paper))
- Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits
- The Drought-Defying California Garden: 230 Native Plants for a Lush, Low-Water Landscape
- Sunset Western Garden Book of Easy-Care Plantings: The Ultimate Guide to Low-Water Beds, Borders, and Containers
- California Master Gardener Handbook, 2nd Edition
- The Planting Design Handbook
- California Native Plants for the Garden
- Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
- Landscape Architectural Graphic Standards
- Succulents: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Designing, and Growing 200 Easy Care Plants (Sunset)
|Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, 3rd Edition
Lowest new price: $23.96
Lowest used price: $26.40
List price: $40.00
Author: Andrew Chevallier
Brand: Andrew Chevallier
With 550 key herbs and their uses as natural remedies for nearly 200 common ailments, Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, 2nd Edition is the definitive home reference to healing with the world's oldest form of medicine. From ginger to lavender and thyme to dandelion, learn about the chemistry of plants and how and why they work as medicines within the body.
Information on habitat and cultivation, parts used, active constituents, therapeutic properties, and traditional and current uses are described in a unique photographic plant index, and instructions on growing, harvesting, and processing your own home treatments are detailed. With its jargon-free text, fantastic photography, and focus on safety, this guide enables ease of understanding no matter what your level of herbal expertise.
Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, 2nd Edition is the ultimate reference for anyone interested in exploring the healing benefits of plants and who wants to take control of their health with alternative natural treatments. Now updated to reflect the latest research.
- Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine 3rd Edition
|Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods
Lowest new price: $11.62
Lowest used price: $10.69
List price: $19.95
Author: Thomas Elias
Brand: Sterling Publishing Co
9781402767159 Features: -Title: Edible Wild Plants. -Sub title: A North American Field Guide to over 200 Natural Foods. -ISBN: 1402767153. -ISBN 13: 9781402767159. -General subject: Gardening. -Subject: Gardening / general. Subject: -Gardening. Country of Manufacture: -United States. Age Group: -Adults. Dimensions: Overall Height - Top to Bottom: -0.75". Overall Width - Side to Side: -8.5". Overall Depth - Front to Back: -5.5". Overall Product Weight: -1.1 lbs.
- Edible Wild Plants A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods
Page 2 of 7956
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.