|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
Lowest new price: $6.86
Lowest used price: $15.49
List price: $35.00
Author: Paul Stamets
Brand: Fungi Perfecti
Mycelium Running is a manual for the mycological rescue of the planet. That’s right: growing more mushrooms may be the best thing we can do to save the environment, and in this groundbreaking text from mushroom expert Paul Stamets, you’ll find out how.
The basic science goes like this: Microscopic cells called “mycelium”--the fruit of which are mushrooms--recycle carbon, nitrogen, and other essential elements as they break down plant and animal debris in the creation of rich new soil. What Stamets has discovered is that we can capitalize on mycelium’s digestive power and target it to decompose toxic wastes and pollutants (mycoremediation), catch and reduce silt from streambeds and pathogens from agricultural watersheds (mycofiltration), control insect populations (mycopesticides), and generally enhance the health of our forests and gardens (mycoforestry and myco-gardening).
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll find chapters detailing each of these four exciting branches of what Stamets has coined “mycorestoration,” as well as chapters on the medicinal and nutritional properties of mushrooms, inoculation methods, log and stump culture, and species selection for various environmental purposes. Heavily referenced and beautifully illustrated, this book is destined to be a classic reference for bemushroomed generations to come.
|Farmer's Market 2019 Wall Calendar
Lowest new price: $10.39
Lowest used price: $10.01
List price: $14.99
Author: John Burgoyne
Brand: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Each month of the Farmer's Market 2019 Wall Calendar features exquisitely detailed and hand-colored renderings of seasonal produce such as cherries, eggplants, and winter squash; herbs and spices, such as basil and grilling spices; or delectable artisan foods found at greenmarkets across the country, such as chocolate and holiday breads.
Burgoyne's gorgeously detailed illustrations are instantly recognizable to the millions who subscribe to Cook's Illustrated magazine or buy America's Test Kitchen's hugely influential cookbooks. Includes beautiful images of exotic, artisanal fare such as tropical fruit and blue cheeses.
- Exquisitely detailed and hand-colored renderings of seasonal produce
- Printed on high-quality paper
- Features full-color pages throughout
- Includes all major public and culturally significant holidays
- Carefully curated images each month
|The Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Make the Most of Your Growing Season
Lowest new price: $6.46
Lowest used price: $4.85
List price: $16.95
Author: Jennifer Kujawski
Brand: Storey Publishing, LLC
Whether you’re a seasoned gardener determined to increase crop yields or starting your very first vegetable garden, the Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener’s Handbook will help you manage your schedule and prioritize what’s important. Detailed weekly to-do lists break gardening down into simple and manageable tasks so that you always know what needs to be done and when to do it, from starting seeds and planting strawberries to checking for tomato hornworms and harvesting carrots. Enjoy a bountiful harvest with this organized and stress-free approach to gardening.
|The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions: Wide Rows, Organic Methods, Raised Beds, Deep Soil
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $2.50
List price: $24.95
Author: Edward C. Smith
Brand: Storey Publishing, LLC
The invaluable resource for home food gardeners! Ed Smith's W-O-R-D system has helped countless gardeners grow an abundance of vegetables and herbs. And those tomatoes and zucchini and basil and cucumbers have nourished countless families, neighbors, and friends with delicious, fresh produce. The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is essential reading for locavores in every corner of North America!
Everything you loved about the first edition of The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is still here: friendly, accessible language; full-color photography; comprehensive vegetable specific information in the A-to-Z section; ahead-of-its-time commitment to organic methods; and much more.
Now, Ed Smith is back with a 10th Anniversary Edition for the next generation of vegetable gardeners. New to this edition is coverage of 15 additional vegetables, including an expanded section on salad greens and more European and Asian vegetables. Readers will also find growing information on more fruits and herbs, new cultivar photographs in many vegetable entries, and a much-requested section on extending the season into the winter months. No matter how cold the climate, growers can bring herbs indoors and keep hardy greens alive in cold frames or hoop houses.
The impulse to grow vegetables is even stronger in 2009 than it was in 2000, when Storey published The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible. The financial and environmental costs of fossil fuels raise urgent questions: How far should we be shipping food? What are the health costs of petroleum-based pesticides and herbicides? Do we have to rely on megafarms that use gasoline-powered machinery to grow and harvest crops? With every difficult question, more people think, "Maybe I should grow a few vegetables of my own." This book will continue to answer all their vegetable gardening questions.
Praise for the First Edition:
"In every small town, there is a vegetable garden that people go out of the way to walk past. Smith is the guy who grew that garden." — Verlyn Klinkenborg, The New York Times Book Review
"An abundance of photographs . . . visually bolster the techniques described, while frequent subheads, sidebars, and information-packed photo captions make the layout user-friendly . . . [Smith's] book is thorough and infused with practical wisdom and a dry Vermont humor that should endear him to readers." — Publisher’s Weekly
"Smith . . . clearly explains everything novice and experienced gardeners need to know to grow vegetables and herbs. . . . " — Library Journal
"this book will answer all your questions as well as put you on the path to an abundant harvest. As a bonus, anecdotes and stories make this informative book fun to read." - New York Newsday
|The New Organic Grower, 3rd Edition: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener, 30th Anniversary Edition
Lowest new price: $19.73
Lowest used price: $20.41
List price: $29.95
Author: Eliot Coleman
The Book that Started the Organic Farming Revolution
Since its original publication in 1989, The New Organic Grower has been one of the most important farming books available, with pioneer Eliot Coleman leading the charge in the organic movement in the United States. Now fully illustrated and updated, this 30th Anniversary Edition is a must-have for any agricultural library.
Eliot Coleman’s books and innovative methods have helped innumerable organic farmers build successful farms in deep accordance with nature. The wisdom in this seminal book holds true even as the modern agricultural canon has grown―in large part due to Coleman’s influence as a wise elder with decades of experience. New information has been included in this edition to showcase the new tools and techniques that Eliot has been developing over the last thirty-five years.
Inspired by the European intensive growers, The New Organic Grower, 30th Anniversary Edition, offers a very approachable and productive form of farming that has proven to work well for the earth and its stewards for centuries. Gardeners working on 2.5 acres or less will find this book especially useful, as it offers proof that small-scale market growers and serious home gardeners can live good lives close to the land and make a profit at the same time. The New Organic Grower is ideal for young farmers just getting started, or gardeners seeking to expand into a more productive enterprise.
New material in this edition includes:
- Beautiful color photographs throughout, taken by master gardener and author Barbara Damrosch (Eliot’s wife and co-farmer)
- Updated information throughout on how Eliot’s practices have changed through his experiments over the years
- A new section from Damrosch about incorporating flowers on the small farm
- More information on new tools Eliot has invented that don’t appear in any of his other books
|All New Square Foot Gardening II: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More in Less Space
Lowest new price: $6.00
Lowest used price: $2.99
List price: $24.99
Author: Mel Bartholomew
Brand: Hachette/Quarto Publishing
Square Foot Gardening is the most practical, foolproof way to grow a home garden, whether you're growing an urban garden, or have an entire backyard.
That explains why author and gardening innovator Mel Bartholomew has sold more than two million books teaching how to become a successful DIY square foot gardener. Mel developed his techniques back in the early 1980s and has been teaching them around the world ever since. In the process, he has made improvements and refinements, and has continually adapted his practices to keep pace with modern times.
In this second edition, Bartholomew furthers his discussion on one of the most popular gardening trends today: vertical gardening. He also explains how you can make gardening fun for kids by teaching them the square foot method. Rich with new, full-color images and updated tips for selecting materials, this highly produced edition will bring you up to speed with Mel's industry-changing insights.
- The Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Make the Most of Your Growing Season
- The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions: Wide Rows, Organic Methods, Raised Beds, Deep Soil
- Seeding Square: The Color-Coded Seed Spacer. Organizes and Optimizes Vegetable Gardens to Grow More Greens and Less Weeds. Gardening Made Simple!
- Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
- Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
- Raised Bed Revolution: Build It, Fill It, Plant It ... Garden Anywhere!
- The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible: How to Grow a Bounty of Food in Pots, Tubs, and Other Containers
- Grow All You Can Eat in Three Square Feet
- All New Square Foot Gardening, 3rd Edition, Fully Updated: MORE Projects - NEW Solutions - GROW Vegetables Anywhere
- Square Foot Gardening with Kids: Learn Together: - Gardening Basics - Science and Math - Water Conservation - Self-sufficiency - Healthy Eating (All New Square Foot Gardening)
|Vegetables Love Flowers: Companion Planting for Beauty and Bounty
Lowest new price: $13.54
Lowest used price: $13.08
List price: $21.99
Author: Lisa Mason Ziegler
Fight garden pests and increase your yields the natural way with this tried and true technique!
Planting vegetables and flowers together is one of the oldest ways to create ahealthy, bountiful garden; but there's more to the method than you might think. Vegetables Love Flowers walks you through the ins and outs of companion planting, from how it works to which plants go together and how to grow the best garden for your climate.
Alongside gorgeous garden photography, you'll also learn about:
- Seed-starting, growing, and harvesting
- How to make garden flower bouquets, with "recipes" for various arrangements
- How to attract beneficial creatures to pollinate your garden and prey on its pests
- Pesticide-free pest-control measures
- Composting heaps and bins
With the right information and some careful planning, you can help your plants thrive—and beautify your garden in the process.
|All New Square Foot Gardening, 3rd Edition, Fully Updated: MORE Projects - NEW Solutions - GROW Vegetables Anywhere
Lowest new price: $19.15
Lowest used price: $14.97
List price: $24.99
Author: Mel Bartholomew
In All New Square Food Gardening, 3rd Edition, the best-selling gardening book in North America is re-launched and updated for the next generation of gardeners and beyond.
Since Square Foot Gardening was first introduced in 1981, the revolutionary new way to garden developed by Mel Bartholomew has helped millions of home gardeners grow more fresh produce in less space and with less work. Now, based largely on the input and experience of these millions, the system has been even further refined and improved to fully meet today's changing resources, needs, and challenges.
With over 150 new photos and illustrations, this new edition makes it easier than ever to achieve nearly-foolproof results in virtually any situation: 100% of the produce; 20% of the water; 5% of the work.
Perfect for experienced Square-Foot-Gardeners or beginners, the original method created by Mel has not changed in any significant way with this new 3rd edition of All New Square Foot Gardening. It remains: build a box; fill it with Mel's Mix; add a grid. But along with the classic steps, you will find some interesting and compelling new information, such as:
Don't wait another season to try Mel's brilliant approach to gardening! We're sure it will work for you and you won't look back.
- Adding trellises and archways
- Substituting with new materials
- Adding automatic watering systems
- "Thinking Outside the Box" with creative configurations and shapes
- Square Foot Gardening in dense urban areas with little or no yard
- Square Foot Gardening with kids
- Crop protection
|Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
Lowest new price: $15.98
Lowest used price: $9.73
List price: $29.95
Author: Sylvia Bernstein
Brand: New Society Publishers
Aquaponics is a revolutionary system for growing plants by fertilizing them with the waste water from fish in a sustainable closed system. A combination of aquaculture and hydroponics, aquaponic gardening is an amazingly productive way to grow organic vegetables, greens, herbs, and fruits, while providing the added benefits of fresh fish as a safe, healthy source of protein. On a larger scale, it is a key solution to mitigating food insecurity, climate change, groundwater pollution, and the impacts of overfishing on our oceans. Aquaponic Gardening
is the definitive do-it-yourself home manual, focused on giving you all the tools you need to create your own aquaponic system and enjoy healthy, safe, fresh, and delicious food all year round. Starting with an overview of the theory, benefits, and potential of aquaponics, the book goes on to explain:
- System location considerations and hardware components
- The living elements--fish, plants, bacteria, and worms
- Putting it all together--starting and maintaining a healthy system
Aquaponics systems are completely organic. They are four to six times more productive and use ninety percent less water than conventional gardens. Other advantages include no weeds, fewer pests, and no watering, fertilizing, bending, digging, or heavy lifting--in fact, there really is no downside! Anyone interested in taking the next step towards self-sufficiency will be fascinated by this practical, accessible, and well-illustrated guide. Sylvia Bernstein
is the president and founder of The Aquaponic Source and the Vice Chairman of the Aquaponics Association. She also manages AquaponicsCommunity.com, the largest US-based online community site dedicated to aquaponic gardening. An experienced speaker and internationally recognized expert on aquaponic gardening, Sylvia writes and blogs on the subject for the Aquaponic Gardening Blog, Growing Edge
and more. Her inspiration is a large, thriving aquaponic setup in her backyard greenhouse in Boulder, CO powered by tilapia, catfish, and other creatures-that-swim.
- Aquaponic Design Plans and Everything You Need to Know: From Backyard to Profitable Business
- The Aquaponic Farmer: A Complete Guide to Building and Operating a Commercial Aquaponic System
- The Bio-Integrated Farm: A Revolutionary Permaculture-Based System Using Greenhouses, Ponds, Compost Piles, Aquaponics, Chickens, and More
- The Year-Round Solar Greenhouse: How to Design and Build a Net-Zero Energy Greenhouse
- Hydroponic Food Production: A Definitive Guidebook for the Advanced Home Gardener and the Commercial Hydroponic Grower, Seventh Edition
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Aquaponic Gardening: Discover the Dual Benefits of Raising Fish and Plants Together (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback))
- DIY Hydroponic Gardens: How to Design and Build an Inexpensive System for Growing Plants in Water
- Aquaponics: How to Build Your Own Aquaponic System
- Hydroponics: The Definitive Beginner’s Guide to Quickly Start Growing Vegetables, Fruits, & Herbs for Self-Sufficiency! (Gardening, Organic Gardening, Homesteading, Horticulture, Aquaculture)
- Aquaponics: Simple Guide to Growing Vegetables Using Aquaponics (Aquaponics, aquaponic gardening, aquaponic systems, organic vegetables, vegetable gardening)
|Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Third Edition) (Storey's Down-To-Earth Guides)
Lowest new price: $5.95
Lowest used price: $0.10
List price: $12.95
Author: Stu Campbell
Brand: Storey Publishing
Transform leaves, grass, and kitchen scraps into gardener’s gold! This easy-to-use guide shows you how to turn household garbage and backyard refuse into nutrient-filled compost that can nourish your soil and promote a thriving garden. You’ll soon be saving money, minimizing waste, and enjoying bountiful harvests.
- Dr. Earth Pure & Natural Compost Starter 3 lb
- Dr. Earth 727 Compost Starter
- REOTEMP Backyard Compost Thermometer - 20" Stem, with Composting Instructions (0-200 Fahrenheit)
- Jobe's Organics Compost Starter 4-4-2, 09926, 4 pounds, 4 lb
- Worms Eat My Garbage, 35th Anniversary Edition: How to Set Up and Maintain a Worm Composting System: Compost Food Waste, Produce Fertilizer for Houseplants and Garden, and Educate Your Kids and Family
- Cate's Garden Compost Thermometer Premium Stainless Steel Bimetal Thermometer for Backyard Composting - 2 Inch Diameter Fahrenheit/Celsius Dial, 20 Inch Temperature Probe
- The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner batches, grow heaps, comforter compost, and other amazing techniques for saving time and money, and ... most flavorful, nutritous vegetables ever.
- Miracle Gro Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler – Outdoor Bin with Easy-Turn System, 2 Sliding Doors, Sturdy Steel Frame – All Season Composter , BPA-Free + FREE Scotts Gardening Gloves (2 X 18.5gal/70L)
- Composting For Dummies
- How To Start A Worm Bin
Page 1 of 419
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.