|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|A History of the World in 6 Glasses
Lowest new price: $9.99
Lowest used price: $3.39
List price: $18.00
Author: Tom Standage
Brand: Tom Standage
New York Times Bestseller
From beer to Coca-Cola, the six drinks that have helped shape human history.
Throughout human history, certain drinks have done much more than just quench thirst. As Tom Standage relates with authority and charm, six of them have had a surprisingly pervasive influence on the course of history, becoming the defining drink during a pivotal historical period.
A History of the World in 6 Glasses tells the story of humanity from the Stone Age to the 21st century through the lens of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. Beer was first made in the Fertile Crescent and by 3000 B.C.E. was so important to Mesopotamia and Egypt that it was used to pay wages. In ancient Greece wine became the main export of her vast seaborne trade, helping spread Greek culture abroad. Spirits such as brandy and rum fueled the Age of Exploration, fortifying seamen on long voyages and oiling the pernicious slave trade. Although coffee originated in the Arab world, it stoked revolutionary thought in Europe during the Age of Reason, when coffeehouses became centers of intellectual exchange. And hundreds of years after the Chinese began drinking tea, it became especially popular in Britain, with far-reaching effects on British foreign policy. Finally, though carbonated drinks were invented in 18th-century Europe they became a 20th-century phenomenon, and Coca-Cola in particular is the leading symbol of globalization.
For Tom Standage, each drink is a kind of technology, a catalyst for advancing culture by which he demonstrates the intricate interplay of different civilizations. You may never look at your favorite drink the same way again.
- History of the World in 6 Glasses
|The Big Book of Organic Baby Food: Baby Purées, Finger Foods, and Toddler Meals For Every Stage
Lowest new price: $7.56
Lowest used price: $7.00
List price: $16.99
Author: Stephanie Middleberg MS RD CDN
“As a mom and RD, I've always taken the role of family chef very seriously. I wish this book was around when my kids were first sitting down to the table, ready to eat their first bites of real food.”―Joy Bauer, MS, RD, health and nutrition expert for NBC's TODAY show and best-selling author of From Junk Food to Joy Food
Cooking nutritious meals for your growing family while catering to everyone’s favorite foods and appetites can be exhausting. By serving up recipes that satisfy the tastes of both kids and adults, this baby food cookbook promises parents that they’ll only have to make one meal for everyone to share. With wholesome recipes that everyone can enjoy, The Big Book of Organic Baby Food is a timeless resource for preparing delicious meals in the years to come. From their first puree to their first burrito, this baby food cookbook is ideal for babies at every age and stage.
More than just a baby food cookbook, The Big Book of Organic Baby Food contains:
- Ages & Stages: chapter divisions by age with recipes, developmental information, and FAQs for keeping up with your little one every step of the way
- Purees, Smoothies & Finger Foods: more than 115 single-ingredient and combination purees as well as over 40 recipes, introducing new flavors and textures to encourage self-feeding
- Family Meals: 70+ recipes that will please all palates makes this more than just a baby food cookbook, offering toddler-friendly fare to meals for the whole family
“This is a must have for every mother who wants to raise a healthy child”―Amy C. Linde, mother and reader of The Big Book of Organic Baby Food
The Big Book of Organic Baby Food is the only baby food cookbook to feed the growing needs and taste buds of your family.
|Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
Lowest new price: $8.40
Lowest used price: $7.38
List price: $18.95
Author: Del Sroufe
Brand: Del Sroufe
New York Times Bestseller
A whole-foods, plant-based diet that has never been easier or tastier—learn to cook the Forks Over Knives way with more than 300 recipes for every day!Forks Over Knives
—the book, the film, the movement—is back again in a cookbook. The secret is out: If you want to lose weight, lower your cholesterol, avoid cancer, and prevent (or even reverse) type 2 diabetes and heart disease, the right food is your best medicine. Thousands of people have cut out meat, dairy, and oils and seen amazing results. If you’re among them—or you’d like to be—you need this cookbook.
Del Sroufe, the man behind some of the mouthwatering meals in the landmark documentary, proves that the Forks Over Knives philosophy is not about what you can’t
eat, but what you can
. Chef Del and his collaborators Julieanna Hever, Judy Micklewright, Darshana Thacker, and Isa Chandra Moskowitz transform wholesome fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes into hundreds of recipes—classic and unexpected, globally and seasonally inspired, and for every meal of the day, all through the year:
- Breakfast: Very Berry Smoothie, Breakfast Quinoa with Apple Compote
- Salads, Soups and Stews: Kale Salad with Maple-Mustard Dressing, Lotsa Vegetable Chowder, Lucky Black-Eyed Pea Stew
- Pasta and Noodle Dishes: Mushroom Stroganoff, Stir-Fried Noodles with Spring Vegetables
- Stir-Fried, Grilled and Hashed Vegetables: Grilled Eggplant “Steaks”
- Baked and Stuffed Vegetables: Millet-Stuffed Chard Rolls
- The Amazing Bean: White Beans and Escarole with Parsnips
- Great Grains: Polenta Pizza with Tomatoes and Basil
- Desserts: Apricot Fig Squares, Bursting with Berries Cobbler . . . and much more!
Simple, affordable, and delicious, the recipes in Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook
put the power of real, healthy food in your hands. Start cooking the plant-based way today—it could save your life!
Featured Recipe: Mushroom Stroganoff
Stroganoff originated in Russia as a beef dish served in a rich sour cream sauce. And though there are many versions of the original recipe, I prefer this plant-based one, made with rich porcini mushrooms and lots of fresh herbs.
- 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 ounce porcini mushrooms, soaked for 30 minutes in 1 cup of hot water that has just been boiled
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole-grain fettuccine, cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm
- 1 cup Tofu Sour Cream (recipe follows)
- Chopped parsley
Place the shallots in a large skillet and sauté over a medium heat for 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking. Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for another minute. Stir in the salt and pepper, rosemary, and the portobello mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the porcini mushrooms, and their soaking liquid, and the wine. Stir, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
When the stroganoff is finished cooking, stir in the sour cream. Add the cooked noodles and toss well. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Tofu Sour Cream
Use this healthy dairy alternative in any dish that calls for sour cream. Serve it with baked potatoes and fresh chives, with tacos or enchiladas, or with Mushroom Stroganoff.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1 package extra firm lite silken tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Chill until ready to serve.
- Forks Over Knives The Cookbook Over 300 Recipes for Plant Based Eating All Through the Year
- The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
- Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
- The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease
- Forks Over Knives Family: Every Parent's Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy Kids on a Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
- How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
- The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook: Over 125 Delicious, Life-Changing, Plant-Based Recipes
- The Plant-Based Diet Meal Plan: A 3-Week Kickstart Guide to Eat & Live Your Best
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
- The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
- The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
|The Best Cook in the World: Tales from My Momma's Table
Lowest new price: $13.95
Lowest used price: $14.50
List price: $28.95
Author: Rick Bragg
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
From the beloved, best-selling author of All Over but the Shoutin', a delectable, rollicking food memoir, cookbook, and loving tribute to a region, a vanishing history, a family, and, especially, to his mother. Including seventy-four mouthwatering Bragg family recipes for classic southern dishes passed down through generations.
Margaret Bragg does not own a single cookbook. She measures in "dabs" and "smidgens" and "tads" and "you know, hon, just some." She cannot be pinned down on how long to bake corn bread ("about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the mysteries of your oven"). Her notion of farm-to-table is a flatbed truck. But she can tell you the secrets to perfect mashed potatoes, corn pudding, redeye gravy, pinto beans and hambone, stewed cabbage, short ribs, chicken and dressing, biscuits and butter rolls. Many of her recipes, recorded here for the first time, pre-date the Civil War, handed down skillet by skillet, from one generation of Braggs to the next. In The Best Cook in the World, Rick Bragg finally preserves his heritage by telling the stories that framed his mother's cooking and education, from childhood into old age. Because good food always has a good story, and a recipe, writes Bragg, is a story like anything else.
|Eat a Little Better: Great Flavor, Good Health, Better World
Lowest new price: $15.92
Lowest used price: $15.47
List price: $32.50
Author: Sam Kass
Sam Kass, former chef to the Obamas and White House food policy advisor, makes it easier to do a little better for your diet--and the environment--every day, through smart ways to think about shopping, setting up your kitchen so the healthy stuff comes to hand most naturally, and through 90 delicious, simple recipes.
This book lays out Kass's plan to eat a little better. Knowing that sustainability and healthfulness come most, well, sustainably when new habits and choices seem appealing rather than drastic and punitive, Kass shares his philosophy and methods to help make it easy to choose, cook, and eat delicious foods without depriving yourself of agency or pleasure. He knows that going organic, local, and so forth all the time is just not realistic for most people, and that's ok--it's all about choosing and doing a little better, and how those choices add up to big change. It's the philosophy he helped the Obamas instill in their home, both in Chicago and that big white one in Washington.
- Saladish: A Crunchier, Grainier, Herbier, Heartier, Tastier Way with Vegetables
- Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook
- Something Old, Something New: Classic Recipes Revised
- The Taartwork Pies Cookbook: Grandmother's Recipe, Granddaughter's Remix
- Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
- Favorite Recipes from Melissa Clark's Kitchen: Family Meals, Festive Gatherings, and Everything In-between
- How to Eat a Peach: Menus, Stories and Places
- Food52 Any Night Grilling: 60 Ways to Fire Up Dinner (and More) (Food52 Works)
- Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks
|The Secrets to Ultimate Weight Loss: A revolutionary approach to conquer cravings, overcome food addiction, and lose weight without going hungry
Lowest new price: $17.97
Lowest used price: $15.97
List price: $19.97
Author: Chef AJ
Chef AJ’s larger than life personality will smooth the path to the diet you must follow to enjoy the health and happiness you deserve. Her personal and professional experiences have earned her the right to be considered the world expert on “Making the Change.”—John McDougall, MD, cofounder of the McDougall Program
In her new book, plant-based diet expert Chef AJ provides you with not only tips and techniques to begin your weight-loss journey but also the secrets to tasty homemade dishes that will fill you up without adding on the pounds.
Chef AJ is here to prove to you that eating healthy doesn’t have to be hard. With The Secrets to Ultimate Weight Loss,she covers
- the ways her own weight-loss journey inspired her professional career,
- the most important steps to get started on your own goals,
- the seven c’s to weight-loss success,
- the invaluable concept of calorie density,
- the keys to overcoming the most common and frustrating challenges, and
- the dozens of delicious recipes that help you lose weight and still love what you eat.
From oven-roasted ratatouille to the best no-bean burgers around, Chef AJ shows you how satisfying and slimming a plant-based weight-loss plan can be.
|Momofuku Milk Bar
Lowest new price: $22.92
Lowest used price: $18.95
List price: $35.00
Author: Christina Tosi
Brand: Random House
The highly anticipated complement to the New York Times bestselling Momofuku cookbook, Momofuku Milk Bar reveals the recipes for the innovative, addictive cookies, pies, cakes, ice creams, and more from the wildly popular Milk Bar bakery.
Momofuku Milk Bar shares the recipes for Christina Tosi’s fantastic desserts—the now-legendary riffs on childhood flavors and down-home classics (all essentially derived from ten mother recipes)—along with the compelling narrative of the unlikely beginnings of this quirky bakery’s success. It all started one day when Momofuku founder David Chang asked Christina to make a dessert for dinner that night. Just like that, the pastry program at Momofuku began.
Christina’s playful desserts, including the compost cookie, a chunky chocolate-chip cookie studded with crunchy salty pretzels and coffee grounds; the crack pie, a sugary-buttery confection as craveable as the name implies; the cereal milk ice cream, made from everyone’s favorite part of a nutritious breakfast—the milk at the bottom of a bowl of cereal; and the easy layer cakes that forgo fancy frosting in favor of unfinished edges that hint at the yumminess inside helped the restaurants earn praise from the New York Times and the Michelin Guide and led to the opening of Milk Bar, which now draws fans from around the country and the world.
With all the recipes for the bakery’s most beloved desserts—along with ones for savory baked goods that take a page from Chang’s Asian-flavored cuisine, such as Kimchi Croissants with Blue Cheese—and 100 color photographs, Momofuku Milk Bar makes baking irresistible off-beat treats at home both foolproof and fun.
Featured Recipe: Corn Cookies
Yield 13 to 15 cookies
- 16 tablespoons or 2 sticks (225 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups (300 g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1⁄3 cups (225 g) flour
- 1/4 cup (45 g) corn flour
- 2/3 cup (65 g) freeze-dried corn powder
- 3/4 teaspoon (3 g) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 g) baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons (6 g) kosher salt
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream together on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, and beat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, corn flour, corn powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together, no longer than 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Using a 2 3/4-ounce ice cream scoop (or a 1⁄3-cup measure), portion out the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Pat the tops of the cookie dough domes flat. Wrap the sheet pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 week. Do not bake your cookies from room temperature--they will not bake properly.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the chilled dough a minimum of 4 inches apart on parchment- or Silpat-lined sheet pans. Bake for 18 minutes. The cookies will puff, crackle, and spread. After 18 minutes, they should be faintly browned on the edges yet still bright yellow in the center; give them an extra minute if not.
- Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pans before transferring to a plate or to an airtight container for storage. At room temp, the cookies will keep fresh for 5 days; in the freezer, they will keep for 1 month.
|The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
Lowest new price: $21.99
Lowest used price: $15.39
List price: $38.00
Author: Karen Page
Brand: LITTLE BROWN AND COMPANY
Great cooking goes beyond following a recipe--it's knowing how to season ingredients to coax the greatest possible flavor from them. Drawing on dozens of leading chefs' combined experience in top restaurants across the country, Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg present the definitive guide to creating "deliciousness" in any dish.
Thousands of ingredient entries, organized alphabetically and cross-referenced, provide a treasure trove of spectacular flavor combinations. Readers will learn to work more intuitively and effectively with ingredients; experiment with temperature and texture; excite the nose and palate with herbs, spices, and other seasonings; and balance the sensual, emotional, and spiritual elements of an extraordinary meal. Seasoned with tips, anecdotes, and signature dishes from America's most imaginative chefs, The Flavor Bible is an essential reference for every kitchen.
Winner of the 2009 James Beard Book Award for Best Book: Reference and Scholarship
- Winner of the 2009 James Beard Book Award for Best Book: Reference and Scholarship
- The Vegetarian Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity with Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, and More, Based on the Wisdom of Leading American Chefs
- The Professional Chef
- The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
- Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
- The Flavor Matrix: The Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extraordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making, Fourth Edition
- Culinary Artistry
- What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
- Kitchen Creativity: Unlocking Culinary Genius—with Wisdom, Inspiration, and Ideas from the World's Most Creative Chefs
|Eat to Live Quick and Easy Cookbook: 131 Delicious Recipes for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Reversing Disease, and Lifelong Health
Lowest new price: $13.87
Lowest used price: $15.29
List price: $22.99
Author: Joel Fuhrman M.D.
Discover What Millions of People Have Already Experienced-- Dr. Fuhrman's Extraordinary and Life-Changing Recipes
Too busy to shop? Too tired to cook? Not sure what's healthy? From the #1 New York Times best-selling author of Eat to Live and the instant New York Times bestseller Eat to Live Cookbook comes Eat to Live Quick and Easy Cookbook, 131 super delicious, easy-to-prepare, incredibly healthy recipes. No guilt, no-fuss, just amazing food that's good for you. From the grocery store to the kitchen table, Eat to Live Quick and Easy Cookbook is just what you and your family have been looking for to become happier and healthier than ever before.
|Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table: More Than 300 All-New Healthy and Delicious Recipes from Our Homes to Yours
Lowest new price: $17.95
Lowest used price: $13.85
List price: $32.50
Author: Pearl Barrett
Brand: WaterBrook Press
From the bestselling authors of the Trim Healthy Mama Plan and Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook, a new cookbook for the whole family!
The Trim Healthy Mamas have helped hundreds of thousands of women lose weight and live healthier lives with their bestselling cookbook and eating plan and now they are ready to help the entire family! After experiencing incredible life transformations of their own, readers want to be able to help their families feel better and trim down, too. Trim Healthy Table is just the answer. It bursts with over 300 family friendly, delicious and trimming recipes, along with practical advice on how to healthfully nourish your family without going insane and chaining yourself to the kitchen.
Bestselling authors and sisters Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett have 18 children between them and their two families have been thriving on the Trim Healthy Mama plan for years. Trim Healthy Table contains all their best tips, tricks and encouragement for families, whether large or small. Serene and Pearl shamelessly share cunning ways to get picky eaters gobbling down veggies and other healthy foods they usually detest. You will learn how to painlessly use whole, unprocessed foods, including blood-sugar friendly carbs, fats, proteins, fruits and vegetables to create meals even the fussiest kids (and husbands) will love. You’ll also learn how one basic meal can make a whole family happy even with different nutritional needs. The quick and easy recipes include lots of one-pot dishes such as, skillet meals, slow cooker meals, electric pressure cooker meals, casserole and soups. With the recipes you can wake up to hearty breakfasts, prepare bars for on-the-go or try a creamy, quick-to-make smoothie, even Indulge yourself with the many trimming desserts…cake for breakfast is celebrated! And, if you’re simply looking for single serve 5 – 10 minute meals, the Hangry Meal chapter has you covered.
In addition to the hundreds of recipes, included is a Simple Start Guide to the Trim Healthy Plan which concisely explains how you can trim down by getting your blood sugar under control and how to, ever so gently, help other members in your family who may be struggling with weight issues. So, gather your family, bring them to the Trim Healthy Table… eat up… and trim down!
Page 5 of 6872
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.