|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Lowest new price: $7.50
Lowest used price: $0.25
List price: $15.95
Author: Mary Roach
Brand: W. W. Norton amp; Company
"One of the funniest and most unusual books of the year....Gross, educational, and unexpectedly sidesplitting."―Entertainment WeeklyStiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers―some willingly, some unwittingly―have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. In this fascinating account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries and tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.
|The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How.
Lowest new price: $5.00
Lowest used price: $6.63
List price: $26.00
Author: Daniel Coyle
What is the secret of talent? How do we unlock it? In this groundbreaking work, journalist and New York Times bestselling author Daniel Coyle provides parents, teachers, coaches, businesspeople—and everyone else—with tools they can use to maximize potential in themselves and others.
Whether you’re coaching soccer or teaching a child to play the piano, writing a novel or trying to improve your golf swing, this revolutionary book shows you how to grow talent by tapping into a newly discovered brain mechanism.
Drawing on cutting-edge neurology and firsthand research gathered on journeys to nine of the world’s talent hotbeds—from the baseball fields of the Caribbean to a classical-music academy in upstate New York—Coyle identifies the three key elements that will allow you to develop your gifts and optimize your performance in sports, art, music, math, or just about anything.
• Deep Practice--Everyone knows that practice is a key to success. What everyone doesn’t know is that specific kinds of practice can increase skill up to ten times faster than conventional practice.
• Ignition--We all need a little motivation to get started. But what separates truly high achievers from the rest of the pack? A higher level of commitment—call it passion—born out of our deepest unconscious desires and triggered by certain primal cues. Understanding how these signals work can help you ignite passion and catalyze skill development.
• Master Coaching--What are the secrets of the world’s most effective teachers, trainers, and coaches? Discover the four virtues that enable these “talent whisperers” to fuel passion, inspire deep practice, and bring out the best in their students.
These three elements work together within your brain to form myelin, a microscopic neural substance that adds vast amounts of speed and accuracy to your movements and thoughts. Scientists have discovered that myelin might just be the holy grail: the foundation of all forms of greatness, from Michelangelo’s to Michael Jordan’s. The good news about myelin is that it isn’t fixed at birth; to the contrary, it grows, and like anything that grows, it can be cultivated and nourished.
Combining revelatory analysis with illuminating examples of regular people who have achieved greatness, this book will not only change the way you think about talent, but equip you to reach your own highest potential.
|The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity
Lowest new price: $14.97
Lowest used price: $14.95
List price: $27.00
Author: Nadine Burke Harris M.D.
“An extraordinary, eye-opening book.” —People
"A rousing wake-up call . . . this highly engaging, provocative book prove[s] beyond a reasonable doubt that millions of lives depend on us finally coming to terms with the long-term consequences of childhood adversity and toxic stress.” — Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow
Dr. Nadine Burke Harris was already known as a crusading physician delivering targeted care to vulnerable children. But it was Diego — a boy who had stopped growing after a sexual assault — who galvanized her journey to uncover the connections between toxic stress and lifelong illnesses.
The stunning news of Burke Harris’s research is just how deeply our bodies can be imprinted by ACEs—adverse childhood experiences like abuse, neglect, parental addiction, mental illness, and divorce. Childhood adversity changes our biological systems, and lasts a lifetime. For anyone who has faced a difficult childhood, or who cares about the millions of children who do, the fascinating scientific insight and innovative, acclaimed health interventions in The Deepest Well represent vitally important hope for preventing lifelong illness for those we love and for generations to come.
“Nadine Burke Harris . . . offers a new set of tools, based in science, that can help each of us heal ourselves, our children, and our world.” — Paul Tough, author of How Children Succeed
- A pioneering physician reveals how childhood stress leads to lifelong health problems and what we can do to break the cycle.
|The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
Lowest new price: $6.60
Lowest used price: $2.00
List price: $18.00
Author: Norman Doidge
Brand: Penguin Group
An astonishing new science called "neuroplasticity" is overthrowing the centuries-old notion that the human brain is immutable. In this revolutionary look at the brain, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst Norman Doidge, M.D., provides an introduction to both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they've transformed. From stroke patients learning to speak again to the remarkable case of a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, The Brain That Changes Itself will permanently alter the way we look at our brains, human nature, and human potential.
- lucid fascinating mind brain
|The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative
Lowest new price: $10.84
Lowest used price: $11.43
List price: $15.95
Author: Florence Williams
"Highly informative and remarkably entertaining." ―Elle
From forest trails in Korea, to islands in Finland, to eucalyptus groves in California, Florence Williams investigates the science behind nature’s positive effects on the brain. Delving into brand-new research, she uncovers the powers of the natural world to improve health, promote reflection and innovation, and strengthen our relationships. As our modern lives shift dramatically indoors, these ideas―and the answers they yield―are more urgent than ever. 12 illustrations
|Why We Dream: The Transformative Power of Our Nightly Journey
Lowest new price: $17.70
Lowest used price: $17.70
List price: $27.00
Author: Alice Robb
A fresh, revelatory foray into the new science of dreams—how they work, what they’re for, and how we can reap the benefits of our own nocturnal life
While on a research trip in Peru, science journalist Alice Robb became hooked on lucid dreaming—the uncanny phenomenon in which a sleeping person can realize that they’re dreaming and even control the dreamed experience. Finding these forays both puzzling and exhilarating, Robb dug deeper into the science of dreams at an extremely opportune moment: just as researchers began to understand why dreams exist. They aren’t just random events; they have clear purposes. They help us learn and even overcome psychic trauma.
Robb draws on fresh and forgotten research, as well as her experience and that of other dream experts, to show why dreams are vital to our emotional and physical health. She explains how we can remember our dreams better—and why we should. She traces the intricate links between dreaming and creativity, and even offers advice on how we can relish the intense adventure of lucid dreaming for ourselves.
Why We Dream is a clear-eyed, cutting-edge examination of the meaning and purpose of our nightly visions and a guide to changing our dream lives—and making our waking lives richer, healthier, and happier.
|The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume I
Lowest new price: $21.88
Lowest used price: $22.33
List price: $34.95
Author: Ray Long
Brand: Greenleaf Book Group
This book offers a scientific approach to understanding the practice of hatha yoga. Through four-color, three-dimensional illustrations of major muscles, tendons, and ligaments, Ray Long describes the practice and benefits of hatha yoga. Specific anatomical and physiological descriptions highlight the agonist, antagonist, and synergist muscles that come into play with each pose. Volume I of the series describes the key muscles of hatha yoga and how they are utilized. From beginners to experts, this book will become a constant companion.
- High Quality Lay-Flat Binding
|Barron's Anatomy Flash Cards
Lowest new price: $21.43
Lowest used price: $18.73
List price: $29.99
Author: Ken Ashwell Ph.D.
This attractive, newly re-designed set of Barron’s Anatomy Flash Cards makes an ideal study aid for medical school students, nursing students, and health care trainees. A total of 300 cards show muscles, bones, and organs, and are color coded according to their general function in the human body.
New cards featured in this set include:
- Layers of skin in Overview
- Microscopic development of the brain
- Immune system cells
- Microscopic structure of vein and artery
- Microscopic structure of the large intestine and stomach wall
- Cross-section of spleen
- Nervous tissue
- Much more
An added bonus to this updated edition is Internet access to electronic color images of each flash card. Students can log on to test themselves on every detail contained on the cards, and even create playlists of particular systems or areas where they require further study. Includes a ring that can be used to change cards as needed for studies on-the-go.
|Atlas of Human Anatomy, Professional Edition: including NetterReference.com Access with Full Downloadable Image Bank (Netter Basic Science)
Lowest new price: $124.50
Lowest used price: $117.40
List price: $179.99
Author: Frank H. Netter MD
The only anatomy atlas illustrated by physicians, Atlas of Human Anatomy, 7th edition, brings you world-renowned, exquisitely clear views of the human body with a clinical perspective. In addition to the famous work of Dr. Frank Netter, you’ll also find nearly 100 paintings by Dr. Carlos A. G. Machado, one of today’s foremost medical illustrators. Together, these two uniquely talented physician-artists highlight the most clinically relevant views of the human body. In addition, more than 50 carefully selected radiologic images help bridge illustrated anatomy to living anatomy as seen in everyday practice.
- Region-by-region coverage, including Muscle Table appendices at the end of each section.
- Large, clear illustrations with comprehensive labels not only of major structures, but also of those with important relationships.
- Tabular material in separate pages and additional supporting material as a part of the electronic companion so the printed page stays focused on the illustration.
Updates to the 7th Edition – based on reader requests:
- Full downloadable image bank, now with on/off functionality for individual labels, available at NetterReference.com.
- New Systems Overview section featuring brand-new, full-body views of surface anatomy, vessels, nerves, and lymphatics.
- More than 25 new illustrations by Dr. Machado, including the clinically important fascial columns of the neck, deep veins of the leg, hip bursae, and vasculature of the prostate; and difficult-to-visualize areas like the infratemporal fossa.
- New Clinical Tables at the end of each regional section that focus on structures with high clinical significance. These tables provide quick summaries, organized by body system, and indicate where to best view key structures in the illustrated plates.
- More than 50 new radiologic images – some completely new views and others using newer imaging tools – have been included based on their ability to assist readers in grasping key elements of gross anatomy.
- Updated terminology based on the international anatomic standard, Terminologia Anatomica, with common clinical eponyms included.
- Purchase of this Professional Edition allows access to the full downloadable image bank of the current Atlas as well as additional plates from previous editions and other bonus content at NetterReference.com. [*Your Registered User License allows for the creation of presentations for your individual, personal use which you can present in small group settings of 10 or fewer people. It also permits registered student users to include images in posters at scientific conferences as long as proper citation is included. Complete Registered User License as well as contact information for Institutional sales can be found at www.NetterReference.com.] Access will terminate 5 years from publication or upon publication of the next edition of this title.
|The Complete Human Body, 2nd Edition: The Definitive Visual Guide
Lowest new price: $34.50
Lowest used price: $34.39
List price: $50.00
Author: Dr. Alice Roberts
Brand: DK Publishing Dorling Kindersley
The Complete Human Body, 2nd Edition is the definitive illustrated guide to the human body as we know it today, from its development and form to its functions and disorders. Mysteries remain, but we have come a long way since the sketches and diagrams of the first anatomists in Ancient Greece.
Now updated and expanded to include more information than before, The Complete Human Body, 2nd Edition explores the body's forms and functions in greater depth than any other popular reference, from muscle structure and activity to motor pathways within the brain. Illustrated with unprecedented clarity by computer-generated artworks and the latest medical and microscopic imaging, this comprehensive reference shows anatomical structures and bodily processes in incredible detail.
We inhabit it, we are it, and we are surrounded by 7.2 billion examples of it on the planet — the human body. The Complete Human Body, 2nd Edition is your "access all areas" pass.
- DK Publishing Dorling Kindersley
Page 2 of 1700
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.