|Browse by Catagory:
|Finzi: Concerto for cello & orchestra, Op. 40 / Eclogue for piano & strings, Op. 10 / Grand Fantasia and Toccata, Op. 38
Lowest new price: $6.38
Lowest used price: $1.62
|Bach J.S: Partitas Bwv 826 & 830 / Toccata
Lowest new price: $11.13
Lowest used price: $7.00
David Fray, who launched his Virgin Classics career with Bach, releases a new recital disc featuring the composer s keyboard music. We shouldn t be afraid of acknowledging the expressiveness of Bach s music, says Fray. The Romantics don t have a monopoly on expressivity! Certainly, no one can be afraid of acknowledging the talented Fray, who is the most inspired Bach-player of his generation.
In this release, Fray plays Bach s Partita No. 2, which starts with the Sinfonia and its long and majestic introduction, amazing melodies, and riveting musical exchanges. Fray s execution of Bach s more difficult works is flawless the Toccata in C Minor is exhilarating, with a flair of drama and excitement. Bach always excelled in large scale fugues, standing above his contemporaries, and this Toccata is no different. Partita No. 6 is a large and densely composed piece full of virtuoso passages and lyrical melody. These pieces show Bach s ability to take from the past while simultaneously shaping the future of music. This diverse, but unified, abstract work displays how Bach had a wealth of musical knowledge and took risks to achieve a unique sound. Fray exhibits his masterful knowledge of Bach s works and tremendous talent to execute them, painting a vivid picture of Bach s remarkable works.
Voted Newcomer of the Year 2008 by BBC Magazine, David Fray has impressed the music world with his amazing technique and spirited playing style. Fray certainly has a very high opinion on Bach as he stated, he discovers more psychological depth, more well-rounded stories and more refined emotions than his colleagues.
- Bach: Keyboard Concertos, BWV 1052, 1055, 1056, 1058
- Bach: Partita No. 4 in D major; French Suite No. 1, BWV 812,828 / Boulez: Notations (12) for Piano; Incises
- Schubert: (6) Moments musicaux / (4) Impromptus / Allegretto in C, d. 780, 899, 915
- Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 22 & 25 ~ Fray / van Zweden
- Schubert: 'Wanderer' Fantasy, d. 760 / Liszt: Piano Sonata in B minor; (2) Schubert song transcriptions, S. 178,558:3,560:12
- Chopin (Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Walzes, Impromptus)
- David Fray Records Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 22, 25
- David Fray: J.S. Bach - Swing, Sing and Think
- Mitsuko Uchida Plays Schubert
|Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
Lowest new price: $5.97
Lowest used price: $2.48
1. Prelude and Fugue in D major, BWV 532 2. Prelude and Fugue in B minor, BWV 544 3. Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 4. Concerto for Organ solo in A minor, BWV 593 (after Vivaldi)
- With two organs available, at opposite ends of a long nave, a total of 214 ranks (including, we are told, ''several'' at 32 feet), playable from two consoles, one might expect a Star Wars-type bombardment. Let me say at once that there is nothing of that here. Everything is in perfect taste. True, the D minor Toccata flares away on reeds of truly spitfire quality, but magnificent display is what's wanted, and by golly it's what we get! The Fugue goes at a spanking pace, with enchanting registration of the episodes, marred by one small reed which momentarily yowls. By contrast, the A minor Concerto is on a modest scale, relying on Murray's brilliant technique to provide the thrill-yet nothing could be more restrained than his account of the middle movement, 8 feet stops playing in octaves-and still maintaining the interest. The two preludes and fugues, though kept on a tight rein, unfold with relentless drive, and the searing effect of the reeds in the D major's climaxes is quite breath-taking. In an unclouded ambience, the richness of the chorus work makes for very satisfying listening, given responsive speakers, and the poised ungimmicky playing can be recommended even to those who've heard it all many times before. This one is different. -- Gramophone
|Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues
Lowest new price: $19.99
Lowest used price: $3.45
|Vladimir Horowitz, Piano: Early Recordings 1928 Through 1947
Lowest new price: $199.99
Lowest used price: $25.10
This four-CD set presents a selection of performances by a young lion of the keyboard: Vladimir Horowitz. Dating from 1928 to 1947, these classic recordings document the piano virtuoso at his most fiery and fearless. The repertoire ranges from Baroque and Classical scores (Scarlatti, Haydn, Beethoven, Mendelssohn) to the great Romantics (Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, Rachmaninoff), 20th-century pieces (Debussy, Poulenc, Prokofiev) and transcriptions by Horowitz himself. Pristine copies of the original HMV/Victor 78s were transferred and digitally remastered using the state-of-the-art CAP 440 technique. The handsomely illustrated 84-page booklet features an introduction by Pulitzer Prize-winner Tim Page and a perceptive essay by New York Times critic Paul Griffiths ("Vladimir Horowitz: Portrait of the Artist as a Young Lion"), as well as detailed artist biographies from The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.
|Finzi: Nocturne / Severn Rhapsody / Eclogue / Introit / Prelude / Romance / Soliloquies / Fall of the Leaf / Grand Fantasia & Toccata
Lowest new price: $13.71
Lowest used price: $14.02
Gerald Finzi (1901-1956) was a representative British composer of the early twentieth century, with many fine chamber, choral, and orchestral works to his credit. The best of the latter are featured on this authoritative disc. Sir Adrian Boult (1889-1983) was one of the greatest, most beloved, and longest-lived of all British conductors. He made countless acclaimed recordings and was personally acquainted with many of the composers whose music he led.
|The Story of Schumann & Grieg in Words and Music
Lowest new price: $3.89
Lowest used price: $1.66
Brand: The Mountain
|Gustav Leonhardt - The Edition
Lowest new price: $35.65
Lowest used price: $24.99
GUSTAV LEONHARDT was one of the most important harpsichord and organ players in the world and a very well-known specialist in baroque music. Gustav Leonhardt -The Edition is a 15-CD retrospective containing a representative selection of his numerous recordings, including famous solo recordings such as the legendary Goldberg Variations and Bach's organ and harpsichord works. 6 CDs feature collaborations with his famous colleagues Sigiswald Kuijken, Frans Bruggen and Anner Bylsma, the Leonhardt-Consort and Harry van der Kamp.
|Creston: Toccata / Choreografic Suite / Symphony No. 5
Lowest new price: $4.00
Lowest used price: $1.99
|Stokowski Encores: Ride of the Valkyries Trumpet Voluntary Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
Lowest used price: $11.49
Page 1 of 36
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.